Need help with creating a "novel canon" Jurassic park creation

Hullo!

Long story short, need help with customizing a sort of "campaign" based sandbox idea which follows the recreation of Jurassic Park on Nublar. It would have dinosaur and technological restrictions based on that time. My main stuck point is the dinosaurs to include. Since I'm going for a more novel based approach, with little movie involvement, need a little help with deciding what dinosaurs I should have in the park.

Aiming for 20 species total ideally, this is what I have so far:

Small herbivores:
  • Gallimimus
  • Struthiomimus (to replace othnielia)
  • Pachycephalosaurus
Large herbivores:
  • Triceratops
  • Styracosaurus
  • Stegosaurus
  • Maiasaura
  • Parasaurolophus
  • Euoplocephalus
  • Ankylosaurus (?)
  • Corythosaurus (?)
Sauropods:
  • Brachiosaurus
  • Apatosaurus
Small carnivores:
  • Dilophosaurus
  • Velociraptor
  • Herrerasaurus (?)
  • Troodon (?) (to replace compy of make it its own species)
Medium carnivores:
  • Carnotaurus
  • Metriacanthosaurus (?)
Large carnivores:
- Tyrannosaurus rex

I cant make a decision on whether to keep the Corythosaurus, Ankylosaurus, Troodon, Metricanthosaurus and Herrarasaurus, or replace them with something more canon or movie canon.

Any help would be appreciated!

PS: Will post my "campaign" probably another time to see what people think :)

Well, if you're looking for something that strictly fits the novel canon, you'll need these:

-Jurassic Park-
Tyrannosaurus
Dilophosaurus
Velociraptor
Triceratops
Styracosaurus
Stegosaurus
Maiasaura
Euoplocephalus
Apatosaurus
Camarasaurus (replaces Apatosaurus in some versions)

-The Lost World-
Pachycephalosaurus
Parasaurolophus
Carnotaurus

Obviously not every species in the novel canon is available in game, so when it comes to potential replacements...

-Jurassic Park-
Hadrosaurus... use Edmontosaurus
Procompsognathus... use Troodon? It's likely a bit too big, but otherwise it would work.
Othnelia and Dryosaurus... we don't even have a small ornithopod yet, so... Dracorex maybe?
Microceratus... I got nothing...
Tyrannosaurus Junior... Albertosaurus maybe? Although they will fight outside of Sandbox.

-The Lost World-
Ornitholestes... use Proceratosaurus
Mussaurus... nothing, although rumor has it Mussaurus appears in the game's files, suggesting it'll be future DLC.

Last edited:
I agree with DragonNTiger for Albertosaurus as a stand-in for the Juvenile T-Rex. However, since they're different species, might turn of dino fights in the settings to prevent them from fighting.

You might like to check this for reference.
qznlYJl.jpg

I would use whatever dinosaurs you can find in the game that are also used in the novel. I wouldn't worry about using dinosaurs that can stand in for novel dinosaurs that don't exist in the game. You don't even need the Brachiosaurus cause I don't think it was ever in the novel. The only Sauropod I remember mentioned was the Apatosaurus.

The only one I agree with is using the Troodon for the Compys cause it's basically an over sized Compy. But even then it's not something I would say has to be done.

I would also only focus on dinosaurs that were actually mentioned in the novel and not worry about what was in any of the lists used in the book. This way you can build a better looking park and not one that is over crowded.

Tbh I'd use Chasmosaurus for Microceratus because it has the smallest horns of the Ceratopsids in the game.

Top Bottom