Need help with mining

Hi,

I just started to play again after a very long break. I’ve never really mined in the past since I was just exploring in the bubble and doing some random missions. However, the grind was boring and I left.

Now I’m back I do my know for how long, but I just took a mining mission with my diamondback explorer. Need to find 8 osmium. Not a lot, but after 2h mining and defending myself, I only got 99% of one…

I use the mining laser and cargo door, but I’m sure there is an easier way to get the job done and a lot faster.

Any tips for a beginner at mining?

thank you

Hi,

I just started to play again after a very long break. I’ve never really mined in the past since I was just exploring in the bubble and doing some random missions. However, the grind was boring and I left.

Now I’m back I do my know for how long, but I just took a mining mission with my diamondback explorer. Need to find 8 osmium. Not a lot, but after 2h mining and defending myself, I only got 99% of one…

I use the mining laser and cargo door, but I’m sure there is an easier way to get the job done and a lot faster.

Any tips for a beginner at mining?

thank you

Collector limpets, prospector limpets. Collector limpets collect for you, obviously, prospector limpets increase the yield of asteroids.

Keep in mind you can filter out the low value rubbish so that the collectors only pick up the stuff that is valuable, or indeed you can filter out everything except Osmium and just pick that up.

If your just after 1 thing for a mining mission the DBX will be fine (example below) but its an terrible mining ship.
If your thinking of getting into mining full time get 10million or so credits together and hop into an Asp Explorer as soon as you can.

Basic DBX

O7

Keep in mind you can filter out the low value rubbish so that the collectors only pick up the stuff that is valuable, or indeed you can filter out everything except Osmium and just pick that up.
Will look into that. Seems easier than having to reach them manually.
If your just after 1 thing for a mining mission the DBX will be fine (example below) but its an terrible mining ship.
If your thinking of getting into mining full time get 10million or so credits together and hop into an Asp Explorer as soon as you can.

Basic DBX

O7
Ok :)

Will try to find a station selling those near me.

thanks!
I was wondering if you knew about tools like the following to help you find stuff to outfit your ship:
And then to find good places to mine Osmium (and other stuff, Platinum being most profitable per hour)

You're totally gonna need more than a laser and a cargo door. Like the lady said, you need limpets: prospectors and collectors. Personally, I can't bear mining in anything smaller than a Python, I just find it too annoying otherwise. But a hell of a lot less annoying than going to a "Platinum hotspot" like the one at Alioth 2 and finding not a single asteroid containing platinum after using up more than 40 limpets. Drove me back to pew-pew faster than a dose of salts. Lots of Osmium in the rings of Delkar 7, still haven't found anywhere better in the bubble.

I wish I could bring the limpet back into my ship to re-use them.

whatever, a where can I see the full list of filtered mineral I chose to ignore? Do I have to do it manually each time it’s in my target list?

whatever, a where can I see the full list of filtered mineral I chose to ignore? Do I have to do it manually each time it’s in my target list?

Limpets have two functions. 1) targeted: retrieve targeted material and then self destruct, 2) untargeted: pick up everything you can see that isn't on the filtered list until expiry (expiration and range depends on limpet controller level so make sure you have a decent controller).

Targeted have a certain use, in combat zones if you are after a black box for instance, they are faster than untargeted and you are only grabbing one item. For mining in general use untargeted mode, they will last at least a couple of asteroids worth of mats. When mining I usually find my limpets are in almost continuous action until they expire, if your limpets are sitting idle you may need more practice, or more mining lasers to supply mats faster. My type 9 runs 4 or 5 mining lasers at once and 4 collector limpets if I ever feel the need to mine. I don't often, it's not something I enjoy, but if I am going to mine it's going to be efficient!

When you have asteroid fragments around you check the contact list on the left panel and you have the option to add/remove a contact by type to the ignore list.

Top Bottom