Need more awareness of community goal signup requirement

I spent 8 hours fighting for the Silver Legal Group in last week's community goal. The description of the goal didn't indicate I needed to sign up for the goal at the ship. I did click on the Community Goals section of Missions while I was on the Iron Wings of Justice, but didn't see anything. As a result, I didn't get the rewards for turning in 21 million in combat bonds. I only found out about "signing up" by clicking on Community Goals while in Ashby City for this week's goal. Again, the description for this week's goal does not mention signing up. In the future, please make sure the Community Goal description always tells commanders to sign up before delivering goods/bounties/bonds.

Edit: In response to all of the "can't you read?" posts below:

Wow.

Just Wow.

I clearly said: "I did click on the Community Goals section of Missions while I was on the Iron Wings of Justice, but didn't see anything." That means THERE WAS NOTHING THERE TO READ OR CLICK ON.

Can YOU not read?

Clicking on the "press release" for the community goal from the Frontier game launcher takes you to https://community.elitedangerous.com/galnet/uid/60252b064e707677596ab347 . That post, which I'm pretty sure is written by Frontier, also fails to mention signing up.

I'll be damned if I use these forums again.

Last edited:
The OP has a legit complaint. It's easy to dismiss it if you're well versed in the game's features and CGs are a commonplace thing but coming in somewhat new, you see the option to join a fight and you think you're doing something for the community goal when in reality you're not.

I don't know if the answer is to remind people to sign up, but the CG is somewhat buried in the game. You could completely miss it unless you use the map markers and the station menus a lot to look for these things. If you use carriers to sell and repair, I don't know if you'd ever see it. (haven't looked).

The OP has a legit complaint. It's easy to dismiss it if you're well versed in the game's features and CGs are a commonplace thing but coming in somewhat new, you see the option to join a fight and you think you're doing something for the community goal when in reality you're not.

I don't know if the answer is to remind people to sign up, but the CG is somewhat buried in the game. You could completely miss it unless you use the map markers and the station menus a lot to look for these things. If you use carriers to sell and repair, I don't know if you'd ever see it. (haven't looked).

Buried in the game? It's right there above the rest of the missions on the mission board... I'm pretty certain it states the requirement to sign up right there, and has a button to do so. You can sign up at any station that has a mission board now too and not have to wait until you arrive at the required destination.

Its on the mission description right here on these very forums "To be eligible for rewards you must sign up as an active participant before handing in Combat Bonds at the Iron Wings of Justice megaship in the HIP 54530 system."

The very first sticky here: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/forums/elite-dangerous-community-goals/

Not sure how it could be more clear it needs to be.

I mean, many people forgot or overread this before.

Doesn't speak well of the presentation.

I agree that it is there in game, but I question the need for the application at all.

If the CG would count everything added by CMDRs, without application, wouldn't that be more intuitively?
I'd say it is.

It's way down the priorities list, but it could be addressed imho.

I spent 8 hours fighting for the Silver Legal Group in last week's community goal. The description of the goal didn't indicate I needed to sign up for the goal at the ship. I did click on the Community Goals section of Missions while I was on the Iron Wings of Justice, but didn't see anything. As a result, I didn't get the rewards for turning in 21 million in combat bonds. I only found out about "signing up" by clicking on Community Goals while in Ashby City for this week's goal. Again, the description for this week's goal does not mention signing up. In the future, please make sure the Community Goal description always tells commanders to sign up before delivering goods/bounties/bonds.

As others have said the UI is balls but if you have a big ol read of the CG's you'll spot the information and requirements to complete a CG properly.

Good luck Commando.

If the CG would count everything added by CMDRs, without application, wouldn't that be more intuitively?
The only limitation there is that they wouldn't be able to host competing CGs at the same station that accept the same thing, and the only example I can think of is the Dangerous Games which could be done slightly differently nowadays.

Automatic sign-up on first delivery if you haven't already seems sensible. (For that matter, automatic signup when the CGs are released wouldn't hurt, I think!)

Deleted member 182079

D
A crayon drawing sent by snail mail to the player's address (possibly with a second drawing pointing to an instructional YouTube video) might do the trick.

The written word is so last century.

Buried in the game? It's right there above the rest of the missions on the mission board... I'm pretty certain it states the requirement to sign up right there, and has a button to do so. You can sign up at any station that has a mission board now too and not have to wait until you arrive at the required destination.

Its on the mission description right here on these very forums "To be eligible for rewards you must sign up as an active participant before handing in Combat Bonds at the Iron Wings of Justice megaship in the HIP 54530 system."

The very first sticky here: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/forums/elite-dangerous-community-goals/

Not sure how it could be more clear it needs to be.

These are forum posts, the description in game is copy pasted on Inara and doesn't include a line about signing up. Presentation wise it would be good to put a line at the top of each CG description saying you need to sign up before your contribution is tracked.

You're all very clever to be able to read good, though, very proud of the way people are putting someone down for a fairly honest mistake here. Good show, good show.

Deleted member 182079

D
These are forum posts, the description in game is copy pasted on Inara and doesn't include a line about signing up. Presentation wise it would be good to put a line at the top of each CG description saying you need to sign up before your contribution is tracked.

You're all very clever to be able to read good, though, very proud of the way people are putting someone down for a fairly honest mistake here. Good show, good show.
It seems true that the Galnet articles don't mention the need to sign up, and a note to this regard wouldn't go amiss certainly.

The OP did state though they were in the actual CG screen, and it's definitely pointed out there to sign up. Together with that big SIGN UP button at the bottom.

I've missed stuff before because I didn't read the fine print properly myself (Soonthil Relics anyone?), but didn't feel the need to demand the game to change, instead I learned my lesson and won't make the same mistake again (unless I'm tired or distracted, and then it's again on me really).

IDK about Galnet, I don't read it. The way I found out about CG's when I started was seeing them on the missions board. Having that entry point, what I intuitively knew was, I had to 'accept' it somewhere, like all other missions on that page. So maybe the Galnet articles should be clearer that you have to sign up, but certainly, if you just happened across them on the missions board and didn't sign up, then I think that is on you.

Maybe a simple pop-up when turning something in that links to the CG, but you’re not signed up?

Let’s say I was delivering Brandy last week but hadn’t signed up. Something like this popping up as I tried to sell the first shipment might help:-
“Your delivery can form part of the current Community Goal, but you are not signed up. Would you like to sign up to the Community Goal?” With a Yes/No option.

Likewise with your first bounty or whatever it is you’re turning in...

Whatever UI improvement it has to include this with CGs:

1613991690325.png

Top Bottom