Need more time for Odyssey missions

I've never understood why we can't have both un-timed and time sensitive missions in game. Way back we used have much shorter ship based missions, can't really remember how long? An hour or two maybe? It gave a logistical consideration to taking multiple missions I enjoyed.

Obviously this isn't ideal for some players with limited playtime, so they got removed entirely...

I'd go along with this too, some short, some long gives you a choice, depending on how much time you have to play each day or week and perhaps scaling rewards adds some depth to that too? A timer that effectively stops on mission completion, ie. 2 hours to complete mission, a week to hand it in adds a third variety too, while also allowing mission caches to clear.

I'm not sure if EDO BGS ticks happen on the same timing as usual but there's a limit to the number of missions you can carry already, so can't help thinking that also limits the damage you could do by artificially storing missions to drop on a certain tick. If that's an issue perhaps the mission stack could be reduced to compensate. I think it's 20 at the moment? That's quite high I think, 10 wouldn't seem overly restrictive to me.

I don't disagree with allowing the usual EDH time for hand-ins (a week I think?), but I do disagree that you need to be able to stack 20 missions and do them over several days like the OP was asking. Not that that is even possible with most EDH missions ...

Ah, I wasn't talking about their post. There is a consensus running through the thread, and others, though mainly the hand-in time and 6 hours is a little too shot for most players.

I don't stack missions in Odyssey unless I know I have a good amount of time. I generally do one, hand in, then choose another.
Longer time is required also for a single mission.
I used to play 1h/day and when you get to the outpost and you find that the mission requires items that you don't have with you, you already know that you will not be able to complete the mission on the same day and you will automatically find it expired the day after which is ridiculous

Ah, I wasn't talking about their post. There is a consensus running through the thread, and others, though mainly the hand-in time and 6 hours is a little too shot for most players.
Ah yeah, that was the same in the thread before about this, and the one before that, and the one before that ... and probably the one that will start tomorrow will be the same :D

It's so obvious that those who develop this game have very little understanding of how it actually plays out.
The timer should stop on completion and/or a longer time frame be given.

I have 2 missions from last night that wouldn't spawn so of course they will both fail by the time I can login again.

Longer time is required also for a single mission.
I used to play 1h/day and when you get to the outpost and you find that the mission requires items that you don't have with you, you already know that you will not be able to complete the mission on the same day and you will automatically find it expired the day after which is ridiculous
Oh, I'm not against them giving longer times, I just mitigate the issue by only doing one mission at a time. I'm not sure that 24hrs is good either though. Maybe a good in-between time.

I don't disagree with allowing the usual EDH time for hand-ins (a week I think?), but I do disagree that you need to be able to stack 20 missions and do them over several days like the OP was asking. Not that that is even possible with most EDH missions ...

When exactly did you start to feel the need to immensly exaggerate? I wrote "several", not 20.

Than again, what harm would there be with 20? I only want to "profit" the time I now use for travel to get the mission and to turn it in - not credits, not materials, just time. I don't want to be able to stack them in a sense to complete them in a single execution, just so that I don't need to fly and walk for each mission. What exactly is your problem with this, Factabulous? You find that walk to the lobby an integral part of the mission?

I think the time out is entirely pointless as a feature. No mission is based on a race against the clock is it? The purpose of the timers is to ensure they are removed as transactions and usually the time limit is just to keep it in line with the BGS ticks related to the state (at least that seems right with Horizons CZ massacres).

I'm not against changing the timer but question its necessity if you only have one hour to play. If you only have one hour, take the number of missions you can complete in that hour. Then take more when you're back online. If you fail one? It's no big deal, a single mission restores the lost reputation.

EDO missions are largely very casual friendly, nothing like EDH missions which can take hours or even days to complete. The longest I spent on an EDO mission was 40 minutes or so and that was a complicated heist that I'd encountered for the first time and it would have been less than 30 mins if there wasn't a bugged panel on the first attempt.

5-6 hours is ample time to complete 13 missions (I did that once). So I disagree that it's necessary.

Just take fewer missions. It's not as through they run out.

I think the time out is entirely pointless as a feature. No mission is based on a race against the clock is it? The purpose of the timers is to ensure they are removed as transactions and usually the time limit is just to keep it in line with the BGS ticks related to the state (at least that seems right with Horizons CZ massacres).

I'm not against changing the timer but question its necessity if you only have one hour to play. If you only have one hour, take the number of missions you can complete in that hour. Then take more when you're back online. If you fail one? It's no big deal, a single mission restores the lost reputation.

EDO missions are largely very casual friendly, nothing like EDH missions which can take hours or even days to complete. The longest I spent on an EDO mission was 40 minutes or so and that was a complicated heist that I'd encountered for the first time and it would have been less than 30 mins if there wasn't a bugged panel on the first attempt.

5-6 hours is ample time to complete 13 missions (I did that once). So I disagree that it's necessary.

Just take fewer missions. It's not as through they run out.

I usually do 2-4 missions an hour, depending on the mission type - assassinate a guard is dead quick, taking out 14 scavs in a large military base takes a little while longer.

The problem comes with handing them in if your time is limited. It’s seriously frustrating failing a mission you completed because you had to log out and didn’t make it to the mission giver in time - especially when you’re looking at them when the notification pops up. 🤬

I usually do 2-4 missions an hour, depending on the mission type - assassinate a guard is dead quick, taking out 14 scavs in a large military base takes a little while longer.

The problem comes with handing them in if your time is limited. It’s seriously frustrating failing a mission you completed because you had to log out and didn’t make it to the mission giver in time - especially when you’re looking at them when the notification pops up. 🤬
I think that the timer could be extended to 24 hours once the mission is done as I see no benefit to having it fail when all you needed do was tell them you're done. This should exclude missions where you're taking something to the mission giver of course - they're not completed until then.

Otherwise, I think the timers are fine as they are.

I haven’t run into issues with the timers – but courtesy of COVID restrictions, me and my family aren’t leaving the house as much, so there’s few “hard” interruptions to my play time. I take one mission at a time, and can always get back on the computer to finish it.

But giving 24 hours on hand in would make it easier to log off when life gets back to normal.

I think that the timer could be extended to 24 hours once the mission is done as I see no benefit to having it fail when all you needed do was tell them you're done. This should exclude missions where you're taking something to the mission giver of course - they're not completed until then.

Otherwise, I think the timers are fine as they are.
I think that's a good compromise. Different timers for hand in and finished objectives.

I think that's a good compromise. Different timers for hand in and finished objectives.
I don't see much benefit compared to extending the initial timer but ok, that too would help a lot. IMO it is a bit on a short side to give say a spy 4 hours to infiltrate a settlement on a planet in another star system and upload a virus, unnoticed.

My issues was not the mission, but cleaning out the place afterwards (The mission was just kill scavengers, but it was a Large base). I could have flown back and handed in, but wanted to finish cleaning the base up - in the end I was too hot and tired to be bothered and just went to bed, to see what would happen (Base reset to nothing in it, and mission failed) - if would have been nice to have had the time to go away and come back in the morning. 24 hours does seem a good idea - though I can also see the logic of 24 hours if there is no delivery involved. Equally, it could be when you objective is complete (Assassination done, Scavengers killed etc) you don't have a timer to collect you ill gotten gains - you did the job in the time they gave you, now all you are doing is collecting.

Honestly, I'm just glad the mission deadlines are not like they were in Frontier: Elite II. Many times I'd arrive at the destination and be out of time or out of time before I got back to the origin on round trip missions (IE: go here, then come back to get your reward).

But then, the in-system travel methodology was such that game time from jumping into a system and then landing at your destination was measured in hours/days vs minutes in supercruise.

I remember having to estimate whether I could make the trip within the specified time limit or not, and then either "accept" or "pass" on that mission. Very frustrating at times.

Last edited:
Odyssey missions have short timeframes, and those include turning the missions in, naturally. This means I can only take one mission at a time, hurry to get to the destination, hurry with the mission execution and hurry back to turn it in. This sadly affects the way I do the missions, too. The hurry I'm in prevents me from using the current stealth system effectively and I do much more mistakes.
I'm in the same boat at the moment. I generally only get an hour or so to play most days, so I'm failing far more missions than I complete; either running out of time to go back and turn them in or not even managing to complete the mission before I need to log off. I enjoy the Odyssey gameplay of the missions, but rarely getting the rewards or applying the Influence gain gets frustrating.

Top Bottom