Need nerf chaff launcher.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
In fact chaff launcher is a disbalance equipment. It has effect by 20 seconds and cooldown smaller than effect's time. At the end we have 20*10=200 seconds of immune for gimbal and turret weapons and 0 things in game for counter this equipment. And this is without engineers! I think this is not normal. I suggest nerf it. For example: 10 seconds for effect time and cooldown for 40 seconds. Player can have at least 30 seconds for shooting and maneuvering - it will be great and create some chances for win for player with full gimbal/turret weapons versus player with chaff launcher.
Target chaffs
Unlock target,
Shoot said target with weapons acting as fixed weapons
Problem solved.

Chaff is not broken nor in need of changing.

and everytime recycle the sub system... great way...

yes: problem solved (for you)

There's some compromise in any solution :) Find one that works for you & your skillset. That might mean putting up with chaff while maintaining target lock, or finding a better way to re-select the module you have targeted (I have next/previous target and next/previous module on the same hat on my throttle & can be selecting the right module while already firing on the target ship). If it were easy or there was an obviously 'best' solution everyone would do that. Having a choice of how to overcome a challenge is a good thing :)

There's some compromise in any solution :) Find one that works for you & your skillset. That might mean putting up with chaff while maintaining target lock, or finding a better way to re-select the module you have targeted (I have next/previous target and next/previous module on the same hat on my throttle & can be selecting the right module while already firing on the target ship). If it were easy or there was an obviously 'best' solution everyone would do that. Having a choice of how to overcome a challenge is a good thing :)
I have nothing against challenge as long they improve my skill.

Sorry but the chaff launcher is completly unbalanced: gimballed and turred already has drawback: how many drawback do I need have? big ship (cutter) are (notoriusly) less nimble and agile than a viper or a vulture (not to mention how the Ai fly: it can do things you can't...).

Also: the Ai knows when you are aiming to it and will start spanning chaff again just it is in you rreticule (try if you don't believe me).

By itself this a very a bad mechanic making the game more dull boring and doing the dogfight artificially longer than it should; it worth of note here that at the beginning the mechanich wasn't there (it was added recently if i am not mistaken when they revamped th Cz); before, fighting were much more fun and enjoyable.

Of course, when players are leaving and you have to show your shareholder that the gameplay's time it is the same, making sponge bullet and chaff definitly help you.

Unfortunatly Bashing as side effect the customer.

So start using fixed weapons, seems the optimal solution :)

Here's me first post in this thread fyi:
I think the effect chaff has on gimbaled & turreted weapons looks gamey, but the effect as a defence is fair enough, fixed weapons are the counter as already said by several here.

I use fixed lasers and combine them with gimbaled projectile weapons (multi-cannons etc) because that allows me to focus on keeping the fixed weapons on target & let the gimbals take care of the projectiles. If I only used fixed projectiles (all PA for example) that's fine too, there is still only one reticule to keep on target.

Learning to use fixed weapons (start with a fixed beam imo) is worthwhile, it will help you to see other areas where fine control is of benefit too, like interdictions & high-G landings (use analogue thrusters).

and everytime recycle the sub system... great way...

yes: problem solved (for you)
You know, if chaff is such a problem you can literally target it in the sub system and take it out first. Or again, big braining her.
Fly a with a hanger, get an elite pilot, get a lance guardian fighter, have him target chaff launchers.
Lace fighters use gauss cannons, they have 100% hull pen, and will shred modules, have the fighter target the module while you target the ship.

Sorry but the chaff launcher is completly unbalanced: gimballed and turred already has drawback: how many drawback do I need have? big ship (cutter) are (notoriusly) less nimble and agile than a viper or a vulture (not to mention how the Ai fly: it can do things you can't...).

Also: the Ai knows when you are aiming to it and will start spanning chaff again just it is in you rreticule (try if you don't believe me).

By itself this a very a bad mechanic making the game more dull boring and doing the dogfight artificially longer than it should; it worth of note here that at the beginning the mechanich wasn't there (it was added recently if i am not mistaken when they revamped th Cz); before, fighting were much more fun and enjoyable.

Of course, when players are leaving and you have to show your shareholder that the gameplay's time it is the same, making sponge bullet and chaff definitly help you.

Unfortunatly Bashing as side effect the customer.
There is simply no point in using gimballed. ToT is just greater on paper and the reduced damage make them completely useless for main guns. And since all guns were nerfed with engineers - why would I ever take a triply nerfed gun in any circumstance.
Turrets are OK for secondaries, because even if not dishing out good dmg they deter enemies.

Honestly? Start practicing with some fixed beams or rail guns.

They’re “hit scan” weapons that don’t require any target leading. You just point and click. You can keep gimbals on some guns, but if you have fixed weapons there is something you can do when the enemy chaffs.

Once one learns to maneuver and shoot properly, they'll see turrets are weak, and have niche purposes - like tagging all hostile possible in a combat zone.
No, they do not need to be boosted.
If they were Ult , then everyone would just have ships bristled with turrets, pull into combat, and park. No pilot skills needed. Sound good? Of course not...
And Chaff, both now and in 3300's, can save one's derier, esp on non-combatant ships (chaff and run). So what if it has a "gamey" look - it's a game.

I'd be down with there being some alternative variants of turrets. Like, Heavy Turrets, that do massively heavier damage, but which turn veeeeery slowly, and are inaccurate, and default just pointed straight 'out', so you can't manually point them at things very effectively.

The point? To make turrets into a deterrent rather than an offensive weapon. Just about anyone could avoid them with good flying, but they WOULD need to avoid them, so sitting just behind someone and shooting them in the keister would be off limits. You'd need to do attack runs, strafe them, that sort of thing. This would mostly be for big slow trading ships; point the ship in one direction while the FSD cools down, turn on the heavy turrets, pop into the fighter to give them a good chase.

Attacking a convoy of ships with heavy turrets would be a really interesting experience, flying through trying to dodge enemy fire and get in a few good shots. Fun times!

I'd be down with there being some alternative variants of turrets. Like, Heavy Turrets, that do massively heavier damage, but which turn veeeeery slowly, and are inaccurate, and default just pointed straight 'out', so you can't manually point them at things very effectively.

The point? To make turrets into a deterrent rather than an offensive weapon. Just about anyone could avoid them with good flying, but they WOULD need to avoid them, so sitting just behind someone and shooting them in the keister would be off limits. You'd need to do attack runs, strafe them, that sort of thing. This would mostly be for big slow trading ships; point the ship in one direction while the FSD cools down, turn on the heavy turrets, pop into the fighter to give them a good chase.

Attacking a convoy of ships with heavy turrets would be a really interesting experience, flying through trying to dodge enemy fire and get in a few good shots. Fun times!
Ooh, I like. Sounds like the kind of role that flak would play. Except not the ED version of flak.

Turreted flechette launchers could be nasty if they worked like you describe. If these heavy turrets are slow to react to the flying ship changing vector, that'd also limit their effectiveness on strapping them to an attack ship, while still being functional on a slow, sluggish trader.

Based on my experiences bullying NPCs I only bother with chaff on ships with a small enough profile to be properly evasive (at least with me at the helm!). When fighting large ships with a nice big fat profile to target I’m honestly not bothered about the slightly wasted ammo; you can usually manoeuvre so even with the disruption a fair amount of your shots are hitting. Am I right in think that even occasional steady hits prevent their shields recharging?
Yes, this is why gimbals present a fairly hard counter to bi-weaves in general.

My point was double chaff is really powerful and the FDL can easily accommodate them, while the ships with only 4 utilities will take a bigger penalty hit in term of defenses.

In the same scenario, a krait mk2 will have its shields lowered from 1800+ to 1200+
That's half the shields of the FDL in question which, even with "only" 4 boosters will still have strong shields
The mk2's shield strength is stored in shield cells, not in boosters. Also its huge distro combined with a biweave makes for very good recharge rates. This is less of an issue than it seems.

Again...

a vulture (one of the most nilmble ship) against an anaconda.

Show us an anaconda against a viper Mk 4 in a conflict zone and tell us how much the dogfight is fun....
The question I'd ask there then is do you have to be in an Anaconda and do you have to go after a Viper mk4? The Vipers are known to be difficult to hit, which is likely why they're there (a different challenge to the other ships). However, given that a kill is a kill, in this case would you not be better going after an Asp, Python, Vulture, Eagle, Anaconda, T-9 or any other of the easier to hit ships? The great thing about CZs is the number of targets and you can pick and choose which you want to go for.

Personally my current choice of weapons on an Anaconda incorporates 5 railguns (formerly it was quad Pacifier build), so fixed is definitely an option as well if you get fed up of chaff.

The question I'd ask there then is do you have to be in an Anaconda and do you have to go after a Viper mk4? The Vipers are known to be difficult to hit, which is likely why they're there (a different challenge to the other ships). However, given that a kill is a kill, in this case would you not be better going after an Asp, Python, Vulture, Eagle, Anaconda, T-9 or any other of the easier to hit ships? The great thing about CZs is the number of targets and you can pick and choose which you want to go for.

Personally my current choice of weapons on an Anaconda incorporates 5 railguns (formerly it was quad Pacifier build), so fixed is definitely an option as well if you get fed up of chaff.

I think the use of Condas & Corvettes in CZs by PvE players is pretty common, and a Viper MkIV CZ NPC can be a tough little nut to crack.

Vids of capable Cmdrs demonstrating techniques & loadouts that can work for players at that level might be educational for those who are frustrated by chaff.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom