Need to Rethink Cartography

Rejoined after 5 years last month went on a mammoth 10 hour exploration finally came back to the bubble today, went to get some sensor fragments for an engineer unlock and my ship decided to nose dive into the mountain. I did not know i would lose everything I have spent long hours brain-numbingly warping for, as well as scanning new planets and systems. So I now feel that the 10 hours of exploration was a total waste of time and I am a fraction away from putting this game on the back burner for another 5 years. Why would you screw over people who spend hours of the most boring gameplay ever for this ? warp after warp for nothing lost 10 hours of my life why ?? I have no idea why you brought this rule in but if you want to make people quit and tell their friends online and irl Elite is crap well done you have opened my eyes to it for sure :).

So far in the last month I have seen over 5 different nerfs to this game each one penalising new not older players and now this. a word of warning you need fresh players or the game dies stop listening to the s with billions and fleet carriers and think about bringing in new blood and keeping them first. Seriously I was willing to put up with the terrible micro management I have seen but after this not sure I can stomach it any longer.

Nemulus

a little advice for what its worth
when getting back from exploration sell your cart data as soon as possible as most if not all is done from space and first discoverys are really a race against time to sell the data to get first discovered by reward if any...……..
planetoid moon landings ie horizons can be buggy pardon the pun and if your ship bugged out and crashed for no logical reason then submit a ticket and they will probably restore you in orbit before your buggy landing ship crash after analizing your last gameplay telemetry to ensure that it was not pilot error
https://support.frontier.co.uk/topic.php if you have not rebought and furthered your game or don't mind gameplay after said event being scrubbed (which may or may not be viable pending whats been further done in your game in the meantime)
if you notice something wrong or not right like being stuck bugged with the srv on the surface, loading just the base game will also return you to orbit to start again once horizons is rebooted

Last edited:
????????? MAMMOTH 10 HOUR ??????????

Is this some kind of joke post?
Impressive bladder control!....

But... Back on topic...... Isn't "the vulnerability of exploration data" one of the 'Tips' that cycle on the game loading screen?

OP: This is just one of the hard knocks most of us go through learning ED....

Also, one thing to look out for - "In the black", there are a number of "deep space outposts" on the more well trodden routes and near the bubble... With a visit when you go near one to bank exploration data and get minor damage repaired.... Look them up on EDSM...

So far in the last month I have seen over 5 different nerfs to this game each one penalising new not older players
IMO new player rewards SHOULD be nerfed. The idea that new players can go from a Sidewinder to a Fleet Carrier in a couple of weeks is absurd.

The best way to do this is to apply a rewards curve based on Elite rank. The higher rank you are, the more missions pay, the more diamonds you can coax out of an asteroid, the more UC rewards you for your "expertise" as an explorer, etc. This is one of the reasons why CEOs make way more money than the janitor working at the same company, even though the janitor is probably working harder.

Ye maybe you can go 10 hours plus in a row but 10 hours and my head starts to hurt.

A 10 hour session would indeed be a long time but your "... last month went on a mammoth 10 hour exploration finally came back to the bubble today ..." doesn't read like that. ;)

Whatever the case, I hope you get over your misfortune and get back into the game.

The beauty about this game is that it is hard and that achievements mean something. It would be a bad thing to make this game easier and easier. Exploring isn't for the faint hearted. You've gotta be prepared and trust me, many of us have had that oh $ hit moment and crashed into a mountain side too. I suggest just taking that little crash on the chin and learn from it. You'll be more prepared next time. Many of us take a lot of time preparing our ships for a long exploration voyage and to ensure we can make it back in one piece by making sacrifices by installing repair modules and bringing limpets and also field maintenance units even though they take up precious cargo space and can affect jump range.

Isn't this the life of an explorer?

RL exploring is hard, really hard. Dangerous too. So if you want to explore, go for it, but be aware of the dangers.

By the way, I'm on my sixth week in to an exploratory trip. :alien:

Ship computer got destroyed together with the server rack containing your data.
There is no inter-system communication to backup your data while you're out flying.

You can only get that data backed up and provided to your next ship (after a loss occurs) if you go through the services of Universal Cartography which will provide you a new copy of the latest data-set known to them. Hence why it's valuable to swing by the nearest UC whenever you have the time.

Data lost. Please see previous advisories.

a little advice for what its worth
when getting back from exploration sell your cart data as soon as possible as most if not all is done from space and first discoverys are really a race against time to sell the data to get first discovered by reward if any...……..
I always hear that only like 0.3% of the galaxy has been explored yet, but no matter where I fly, I find it hard to find systems that haven't at least partially been explored by someone else first.

I didn't do much exploring yet, but even back in Beta, 6 years ago, when I first played the game for a few months before quitting and then coming back to it a few weeks ago, I did a 2 week long exploration trip in a random direction and even that felt like I'm just eating other people's leftovers.

So if this happened as a result of a bug, it's useful if you have a recording of it for your report to Frontier. When it happened to me, I hit the "save the last minute of video" button on my XBox SO FAST after dropping out of SC into the instance of an asteroid base inside a ring and instantly blowing up while still on the transition screen because my ship materialiised inside one of the rocks. The resulting video amused support who were happy to reimburse anything I lost and the cost of the rebuy as it was due to a glitch in the game, something I had no control over. If said nosedive was similarly the consequence of your ship deciding to do an impression of a 737 MAX, you have a shot at getting stuff back if you can demonstrate the bug.
If on the other hand you slipped up and turned on too many modules for your thrusters to engage? Oops, that one gets chalked up to experience.
There's a reason Explorers are so happy at the advent of FCs, we can be out there for YEARS gatherig that data, and now we have more places to turn it in safely along the way.

Last edited:
I always hear that only like 0.3% of the galaxy has been explored yet, but no matter where I fly, I find it hard to find systems that haven't at least partially been explored by someone else first.

I didn't do much exploring yet, but even back in Beta, 6 years ago, when I first played the game for a few months before quitting and then coming back to it a few weeks ago, I did a 2 week long exploration trip in a random direction and even that felt like I'm just eating other people's leftovers.

Just get off the beaten track - think 3D and don't head for "juicy sights".

visited-systems-heatmap.png

Top Bottom