Need your input: What's your favorite ship for CZ/RES/Mission combat, and why?

It depends what you mean by better. if you go to a high RES in a Sidewinder with pulse lasers, you can shoot any ship that's already engaged and they don't shoot back, so it's totally safe. You can go to a high RES in a fully-engineered Corvette with microweave cooling hoses in your hold (pirates go nuts for them) and yawn, while you fly you ship one handed, blasting everything in sight. Alternatively, you can take an FDL with plasma or rail guns and see how many Eagles you can get (if any). Wherever you go, a tricked out Corvette is going to kill the most and the fastest. After that, you choose whatever you want to have whatever fun and risk you want.

Good morning fellow commanders!

So, after trying to have fun with mining missions last night (we ended up SRV jumping to liven things up,) we've decided next week to work on combat missions, and maybe even drop into a CZ.

That said, I'm wondering if I'm using the best ship for that purpose?

While I do own most all the ships (don't have a Cutter and T10,) since I A rated my Vulture I haven't really given the other combat ships any serious flight time.

So here's my question - do you think there is a combat ship that's better than the Vulture for CZ, RES, and Combat Missions?

And what's your favorite ship for combat, and why?

Thanks in advance for sharing your opinions!!!

Fly Safe

o7

Grey
Do you want "best" aka most effective or "favourite" aka most fun? You title says one thing and your post says the other.

Examples:

Most effective - Fully G5 A-Rated Corvette with turreted g5 long range beams on all 3/2/1 hardpoints. G5 Rapid Multis on the 4's.
Park in a HazRez, target anything below a gunship and just press fire on the turrets. You don't even need to steer. Everything dies. Its very effective and VERY boring.
You only need to use the multis on the hulls of the big 3 and the Gunships or they can be ignored entirely.

Most fun - Double Shot Frags all rounds on an FDL. Point blank ultimate destruction. Never stops being fun. Less effective against the big ships.

As a pretty weak combat pilot I don’t fly PVP often, when in PVE for HiRes i enjoy the iCourier and my Clipper, I just didn’t enjoy flying the Vulture or Fed options, although ny Python can be fun as a multi option when shooting gets boring

It's the Corvette for me. I've used the Anaconda and Cutter in HazRez, and they're not as much fun since you have to rely on turrets with smaller craft due to their lack of agility. The Corvette using FA-off is amazing, and those gimballed efficient beams can stay on target a long, long time if needed. Five railguns work pretty good on those that would deploy chaff.

Anaconda w/ SLF. When my multicannons run out I'm usually turning in around 8 million credits in bounties and need a little break. I fire my wingman every other day so they don't eat my profits.

I usually fly an iEagle for RES farming. It's fun, challenging, and cheap. I find more enjoyment in being the underdog rather than having a god ship.

Everybody's been taking their FAS's, Anacondas, and FDL's into CZs, and I'm apparently the only crazy schmuck taking their Asp Explorer into them.

I see your Asp Explorer and raise you my Diamondback Explorer.

Yes that's right, Explorer, not Scout.

Engineered she's a beast. Efficient c3 beam laser and 2 x rapid fire c2 multicannons with autoloader, 330 Mj shields with great resistances and 300 armour (lightweight heavy duty mod). 340 m/s cruise, 445 m/s boost, very good agility including 45/s pitch. 36 tonnes cargo capacity. And nearly 50 LY range.

As a one-ship commander, I've been looking for my one true fun-but-versatile ship for quite some time, and I think I've finally found it.

You are all wrong cmdr's :)

The best ship is KEELBACK !
my sfl in an expert and has the imperial fighter wish melt the shields off the enemy. Keelback has engeneered seeker missiles and torpedoes for the hull. Am not gone see i can take on 4 ships but pvp that's 1 to 1 sure is able to

And more fun then whit a tank anaconda/corvette.

Last edited:
For CG Bounty Hunting - the Beluga

5 Medium Hardpoints - 3 PA's, 2 Beams, Fighter Bay, and the maneuverability of a much smaller ship. People scratch their heads at it, some have even laughed, until it opens fire.

For CZ's - Split between the same Beluga or Imperial Cutter, just depends on if I feel like working or sitting back with my feet up.

For General Combat - I've got a fair sized fleet, many of which are combat capable ships, it just depends on what I feel like doing. One of my Imperial Couriers has 3 medium cannons with Force Shell. I laugh like a maniac when I tag a small ship and see it spin like a coin. Python, FdL, even my Orca is a ton of fun.

Corvette is good for any combat operations, if I want to turn the turrets to Fire and Will and watch TV. I just hate jumping it anywhere.. only a Fighter has a shorter jump range.

Personal tastes and goals affect what is "best" for anyone.

From past experience, Vulture and FAS for combat medium ships. Limited in other respects.

Python if you want to mix it up, but limited shields will not allow a CZ camp out, good w/ everything else.

Any of the bigs can take care of business except outpost landings, camping at CZ's is easy. I favor a Corvette because I like the way it flies.

BTW, NPC's need better AI, but not cheats like the endless stream of chaff, you'd think some of these ships are made up off 99% chaff.;)

Personal tastes and goals affect what is "best" for anyone.

From past experience, Vulture and FAS for combat medium ships. Limited in other respects.

Python if you want to mix it up, but limited shields will not allow a CZ camp out, good w/ everything else.

Any of the bigs can take care of business except outpost landings, camping at CZ's is easy. I favor a Corvette because I like the way it flies.

BTW, NPC's need better AI, but not cheats like the endless stream of chaff, you'd think some of these ships are made up off 99% chaff.;)

They're 100% chaff after a couple volleys of mid-sized plasma!

And the best part? Plasma Accelerator is a Fixed weapon, so all the Chaff in the universe is no help.

Recently I've developed a new annoying habit - I sub-target chaff first, then cargo hatches, then blow up the ship.

No glitter spam, free goodies to sell, and a bounty.. it's like getting paid three times!

I've switched my preferences lately. I used to use the Corvette in CZ to tank it against up to 6 small or 4 large ships and the FdL for res hunting crossing distances between targets fast. But I always found that I ran out of ammo with the FdL a little too soon and used the SCBs up too soon when taking on beefy wings. So I swapped the KWS from the FdL with a shield booster from the Corvette and reversed roles. The Corvette takes on tri-wings with ease. No need to chase targets either when long range weapons can pull them in. The FdL on the other hand now has almost 1000 MJ shields and if getting into a multi-hostiles furball in a CZ can simply disengage and seek friendly cover with speed. Last not least micromanaging the NPC fighter in CZ was largely annoying. In res I can just let it do it's thing.

I go with my Vette for CZs, since it gives me an entertaining Dynasty Warriors hack ‘n’ slash experience. In HazRESs though, I prefer the FdL because I love the flight model and it’s faster point-to-point. For combat missions either the Vette, FdL, or Anaconda.

Looking forward to using the Chieftain for CZ's/RES. I currently use the Vulture and absolutely love it, the Chieftain seems to be a nice upgrade all around, even keeping a lot of the maneuverability :)

Good morning fellow commanders!

So, after trying to have fun with mining missions last night (we ended up SRV jumping to liven things up,) we've decided next week to work on combat missions, and maybe even drop into a CZ.

That said, I'm wondering if I'm using the best ship for that purpose?

While I do own most all the ships (don't have a Cutter and T10,) since I A rated my Vulture I haven't really given the other combat ships any serious flight time.

So here's my question - do you think there is a combat ship that's better than the Vulture for CZ, RES, and Combat Missions?

Oh god yes. I was in a Vulture for a long time...I used it to grind most of the way to get the Corvette.

There is nothing I'd rather use for either CZ or RES than a Federal Corvette. It just kicks a**. I can steamroll any NPC in it. It'll ROFL-Stomp anything smaller than a Python in one pass. I own an Anaconda as well...it also does very well, although not as well as the Corvette (both are engineered though).

The Vulture was awesome. It had a very fighter-like feel that was fun, and nothing else matched it's firepower for it's size. It has great shields for a ship it's size too. But if you are looking for "best", there are lots of better ships. Python, Anaconda, Corvette, Cutter...probably the Clipper too (although I never owned one of those). Even without engineering, any of those ships are better than the Vulture IMO.

Last edited:
I could never get the Python to last very long in a CZ.
I don't engineer very much.
It has great weapon placements, and great internals, but even so, I find the canopy too brittle, compared to other ships.

I could never get the Python to last very long in a CZ.
I don't engineer very much.
It has great weapon placements, and great internals, but even so, I find the canopy too brittle, compared to other ships.

Engineering will fix all of that. And the canopy in the Vulture is worse.

An Engineered Python should own anything in a CZ, short of a Cutter or Corvette (and maybe those as well). Certainly NPC Anacondas.

Top Bottom