Negative impact of staff facilities

I don't want it removed. They have a negative effect in the real world. I just think that out of site should reduce those negative effects, just as it would in the real world. Guests walking over facilities that are buried underground should not cause the negative effects to max out.

I agree, it should diminish the sphere of negativity depending on its "decoration" status, maybe something thats balanced more toward nature objects. If you didnt notice, there is a heatmap to visually see the size of the negative boundary for utility buildings, in fact its a sphere of influence so in theory you could bury it deep enough for it to not register on the ground, I did some demonstations on raising the staff buildings above the ground for the same impact here:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/how-do-you-hide-facilities-in-pz.531370/#post-8168735

Was the mechanic exactly like this during the beta? Wasn't it that if you decorate them good enough the negative impact would disappear? I'm probably wrong but a response from someone who knows the actual answer would help.

It should be removed, as it's based on an entirely false concept. Quarantine I can understand, but it's becoming more and more common in zoos now to put their vet clinic on display as part of the attraction and to show the behind the scenes operations of the zoo for public education and interest. Wellington Zoo in New Zealand has a vet clinic called the Nest which is pretty famous. I once saw a tiger get a health check in it, it was brilliant.

I think the vet clinic and keeper hut should actually contribute to an educational bonus.

It should be removed, as it's based on an entirely false concept. Quarantine I can understand, but it's becoming more and more common in zoos now to put their vet clinic on display as part of the attraction and to show the behind the scenes operations of the zoo for public education and interest. Wellington Zoo in New Zealand has a vet clinic called the Nest which is pretty famous. I once saw a tiger get a health check in it, it was brilliant.

I think the vet clinic and keeper hut should actually contribute to an educational bonus.

Which is why decorating the naked facility buildings that look like a construction site and turning them into an attraction falls in line with the idea i was talking about. Without scenery/decoration they can have a negative effect but that negative effect can be neutralized or even better turned into an educational item after being "decorated" with architectural pieces making them stylistic - with the condition that you don't close up the windows but instead use shopfront pieces and then turning the windowed side towards guests making it have an educational radius. That would be absolutely PERFECT.

I agree, it should diminish the sphere of negativity depending on its "decoration" status, maybe something thats balanced more toward nature objects. If you didnt notice, there is a heatmap to visually see the size of the negative boundary for utility buildings, in fact its a sphere of influence so in theory you could bury it deep enough for it to not register on the ground, I did some demonstations on raising the staff buildings above the ground for the same impact here:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/how-do-you-hide-facilities-in-pz.531370/#post-8168735
I know about the heat maps. That is how I knew that the buried facilities were still maxing out the negative effects on guests. However I did not know that the effect was spherical. so I will have to do some testing Hopefully it is not so deep as to become impractical in terms of building designs. I will have a look at the video. Thanks for the heads up.

I presume the reason why negative impact works on radius detection rather than line of sight detection is purely to save overhead. In my experience, line of sight detection is more intensive. With the guest AI, they need to make it as optimised as possible. I just put my staff building under habitats to solve the issue.

I presume the reason why negative impact works on radius detection rather than line of sight detection is purely to save overhead. In my experience, line of sight detection is more intensive. With the guest AI, they need to make it as optimised as possible. I just put my staff building under habitats to solve the issue.
I agree, that is why I am now putting mine under habitats when possible. I am even designing elaborate tunneling systems to connect everything to reduce staff movement time.

I think it's the current reason BUT this is a bad reason. Other game manage the line of sight AND planet zoo have a current line of sight algorithm that run for visitors watching animals. So the algorithm exist and it seems to be possible to use the same.
Moreover : notice two factor :
  • The calcultation could be very short in range as the visibility of an object could be considered to not important at long range : this lead to a very local algorithm
  • The calculation could run only when element is moved by the player in the range, after the first calculation the result will not move and so can be stored into a heat map.
These two point make this type of algorithm easy to implement and not very expensive.

They don't need to stick facility detection on individual guests and be running line of sight calculations for every visitor that wanders by; they can stick a calculation on the facility itself to have it determine if it is hidden, then it would only need to check its status when its surroundings are updated. Basically the facility sends out a ray in each direction and does a check to see if collides with solid objects (terrains, walls, etc) before colliding with a visitor path. From there you can have the visitor AI only complain about facilities deemed visible that are in range, or feed them the facility scenery rating of visible buildings in range and increase/decrease happiness/education based on that number. Oh, the things I wish I could mod.

What if fences reduced those areas? Same goes for thermal regulators, I dont really like seeing an aura of heat on the outside too

It's in the game now! Scenery reduces negative impact radius. Someone told me the impact is actually a sphere, so that's good too. I think this is a great feature to be honest and pushes you to think creatively instead of just making blocky everything. I mean in real-life too, I want to see the animals as close to their actual environments as I can. It honestly makes sense. (This same idea is implemented in Parkitect by the way, and it's great there)

Top Bottom