Negative Posts...It's a Forum Thing

Greetings,

It's a Forum thing. Negative posts are always on the Forum just like every other game forum but don't really reflect the millions of players who purchased ED. They just get more play as people are attracted to negatives and respond. Typically the more replies usually means there is a negative debate/fight/personal attack involved at times. I often get the impression that some hate the game and are there to post negatively at every opportunity as a revenge to punish Frontier. Others expect the game to work based on their experience and then their perception of how it should be played getting demanding and very defensive per their position. The more ego the less they will listen. Still that is their choice.

Some criticisms are very constructive and worth discussion but often get lost in the redirections others attempting to promote their position versus the original thread. Members looking for open and objective discussion on say Multi Crew have to wade through all the hate posts searching for it. There are valid concerns between PvE and PvP and discussion is good but shouting at the top of one's lungs and listening to no other inputs is not the way to make positive changes Frontier will consider. Welcome to the Forum.

Lots of replies also means that the negative posts will be a priority in the New Posts section. Thus someone asking for help with a game play issue and getting it within 5-7 replies gets buried especially if posted in the general Dangerous Discussion section. The good news is that many negative posts are posted in the DD section. Try some of the other sections and see the difference often like night and day. When looking for help try a Google search version of the Forum for of any basic game issues and the answers are always there with friendly supportive members who like me love the game and are here to help.

Issues like 900 plus posts for long hair for the Commanders otherwise it is a game breaker is a bit silly to me but that's is a player's choice. I always respect a player's choice even if I don't agree. I sometimes try to help providing more information they might use to evaluate their decision but in the end they decide. The bottom line is we are in a great community. You are in good company. Don't let the limitations of how the Forum posts are displayed which makes the game look like it is a total mess upset why you are here.

This is posted in the general Dangerous Discussion section so without 100 replies it should get buried soon thus validating my point! :)

Regards and Fly Safe

Last edited:
You also have to keep in mind happy people are far less likely to make posts. And some happy people even enjoy trolling and make fake unhappy posts. Compare the number of negative posters to the active playerbase and you wont even have 1%.

89da95810f6169c468910ff20aeb12347375c3951c221d57f1ffebc328c73791.jpg

You also have to keep in mind happy people are far less likely to make posts. And some happy people even enjoy trolling and make fake unhappy posts. Compare the number of negative posters to the active playerbase and you wont even have 1%.

Thanks! I wanted to say 1% but didn't have any facts to support it. It's the "Many have had enough of this..." comments without knowing whose those many are. But personally I agree if only emotionally. :)

Last edited:
It's a Forum thing. Negative posts are always on the Forum just like every other game forum but don't really reflect the millions of players who purchased ED. They just get more play as people are attracted to negatives and respond. Typically the more replies usually means there is a negative debate/fight/personal attack involved at times. I often get the impression that some hate the game and are there to post negatively at every opportunity as a revenge to punish Frontier. Others expect the game to work based on their experience and then their perception of how it should be played getting demanding and very defensive per their position. The more ego the less they will listen. Still that is their choice.

What I think you might be missing here is that the average Elite player has only around 60 hours per year of playtime (approximately 1 hour per week) and has only played the game very occasionally since it launched. The forms don't really capture the average Elite player, what you mostly find here are players who are much more heavily invested into the game in terms of time and effort and as a result you see much stronger reactions and responses. The average Elite player has much less invested into the game and doesn't care anywhere as much when any given feature or ship is nerfed, buffed or simply not working properly.

It's very similar to what you see in the Star Citizen forums, if you looked at people's sigs on those forums you would think every player has $1000 worth of ships. The reality is that the average Star Citizen player has spent around $80 on the game, and the median pledge amount is probably closer to $65-70, which is basically just the cost of the base game plus squadron 42. As a result the opinions and attitudes you see on the forums there are not really representative of what you will find in the actual game.

The game forums generally aren't populated by large numbers of average players who have put only 100 hours or $60 into games. They are populated by players with 1000 of hours or $1000's of dollars into the games and as a result you're getting a very skewed perspective of probably the top 10% or so of players in terms of time or money investment.

Last edited:
Greetings,

Some criticisms are very constructive and worth discussion but often get lost in the redirections others attempting to promote their position versus the original thread. Members looking for open and objective discussion on say Multi Crew have to wade through all the hate posts searching for it. There are valid concerns between PvE and PvP and discussion is good but shouting at the top of one's lungs and listening to no other inputs is not the way to make positive changes Frontier will consider. Welcome to the Forum.

Lots of replies also means that the negative posts will be a priority in the New Posts section. Thus someone asking for help with a game play issue and getting it within 5-7 replies gets buried especially if posted in the general Dangerous Discussion section. The good news is that many negative posts are posted in the DD section. Try some of the other sections and see the difference often like night and day. When looking for help try a Google search version of the Forum for of any basic game issues and the answers are always there with friendly supportive members who like me love the game and are here to help.

Issues like 900 plus posts for long hair for the Commanders otherwise it is a game breaker is a bit silly to me but that's is a player's choice. I always respect a player's choice even if I don't agree. I sometimes try to help providing more information they might use to evaluate their decision but in the end they decide. The bottom line is we are in a great community. You are in good company. Don't let the limitations of how the Forum posts are displayed which makes the game look like it is a total mess upset why you are here.

This is posted in the general Dangerous Discussion section so without 100 replies it should get buried soon thus validating my point! :)

Regards and Fly Safe
Interesting analysis but you're not quite correct to assume that lots of replies always = negative thread full of people bickering. Not all threads that stretch for 900 replies end up being a cesspit of negativity, occassionally they become very informative and stay mostly positive sometimes even against all odds. Take the hair thread you so casually painted in a bad light. Most posters there are posting their support for the OP's request in a supportive and polite manner - you'd know this if you were to actually read through it.

It's full of nice suggestions and funny jokes and for the most part people are having a fun time over there - a rare thing on Deranged Discussions for sure but not unheard of either. Ed Lewis even replied to the thread and kindly provided an answer from the devs on the issue.

The negativity in that thread mostly came from people who brought in their own pet agendas to the thread and attempted to judge others from on high or just because they had nothing better to do but post a negative comment, such is the DD section. But crucially, they were all promptly shown the door. Now that's something I've almost never seen. Posters collectively banding together and chucking out the bad eggs because they want to have a nice positive thread even if for some the tone of the initial OP may have rustled some feathers.

So don't be in such a rush to create an unfallible formula meant to predict the patterns of forum negativity. Take a look at the hair thread again, read through it and you'll find quite a lot of uplifting positivity and things that will rekindle your faith in the forum community in how they are capable of responding in the face of some of the worst a forum community can produce.

I'd go so far as to dub that thread one of the rare few "Be Excellent To Each Other" threads.

Hi All
I come here and I post here to voice my concerns over NERFING of game mechanics.
I don't mean small improvements or design implementations.
I mean 1 day you log on and NPC are normal and boring ... the next day the have god like sniping skills and impossible weapons to match.
I mean 1 day you stroll through the galaxy in a ship that cost you 2 years to build and you are powerful and rich..
.. the next day any junk heap can easily lower your shields and pulverise you.
Out of the Blue .....
I mean what of all those players that do not follow streams or chat in forums ... what would they think after logging on one day and the next ?

Greetings,

Regards and Fly Safe

Wrong.

:p

*shows scar on brain

Minecraft Beta forums. Threadnaught. Rage and brownstorm of vast proportions.

Topic.

Punkins.

It's every forum ever. I imagine the Roman forums were like this; people sniping at each other over political and personal divides, everybody trashtalking a loud fool yelling at the sky, while still all trying to be serious and important in other conversations. Except more togas. Maybe. I imagine there are quite a few people in their underwear and robe right now, though now I wish I hadn't imagined that.

*me points to new scar on brain

@______.

Meh, I complain quite often about it too, but 1200+ hours and I'm still here, so, apparently, I like it. I do agree that there are some long standing issues that seem to be going completely unaddressed, and that creates a lot of frustration. No examples needed to anyone that spends time here.

My trusty old Panasonic 32" HDTV just gave up the ghost on HDMI port 3, right after I got home. It still works great on the other two HDMI ports.

I went out and bought a 55" Samsung 4K anyway.

What I think you might be missing here is that the average Elite player has only around 60 hours per year of playtime (approximately 1 hour per week) and has only played the game very occasionally since it launched. The forms don't really capture the average Elite player, what you mostly find here are players who are much more heavily invested into the game in terms of time and effort and as a result you see much stronger reactions and responses. The average Elite player has much less invested into the game and doesn't care anywhere as much when any given feature or ship is nerfed, buffed or simply not working properly.

It's very similar to what you see in the Star Citizen forums, if you looked at people's sigs on those forums you would think every player has $1000 worth of ships. The reality is that the average Star Citizen player has spent around $80 on the game, and the median pledge amount is probably closer to $65-70, which is basically just the cost of the base game plus squadron 42. As a result the opinions and attitudes you see on the forums there are not really representative of what you will find in the actual game.

The game forums generally aren't populated by large numbers of average players who have put only 100 hours or $60 into games. They are populated by players with 1000 of hours or $1000's of dollars into the games and as a result you're getting a very skewed perspective of probably the top 10% or so of players in terms of time or money investment.

Without supporting confirmed information to support this average Elite player plays 60 hours as you suggest I would need more validated info to accept it. Moving on I do agree that the more one plays ED and knows about the game from since it's inception the more players are protective when changes occur. So I agree that some have invested thousands of hours and their comments are worth considering. But sometimes one cannot always tell the difference when a veteran gives up and rants versus a noob who doesn't know what they are doing. Texting is such a poor communications medium.

Interesting analysis but you're not quite correct to assume that lots of replies always = negative thread full of people bickering. Not all threads that stretch for 900 replies end up being a cesspit of negativity....

You are totally right! There has been some wonderful threads on the Forum with hundreds of members getting into it. My post was about members from veterans to noobs hate what they see when they come to the Forum seeing negative posts and thinking that is all there is. I hope to let them know what they see isn't even close to reality per as well as many willing to help because they love the game.

Last edited:
Interesting analysis but you're not quite correct to assume that lots of replies always = negative thread full of people bickering. Not all threads that stretch for 900 replies end up being a cesspit of negativity, occassionally they become very informative and stay mostly positive sometimes even against all odds. Take the hair thread you so casually painted in a bad light. Most posters there are posting their support for the OP's request in a supportive and polite manner - you'd know this if you were to actually read through it.

It's full of nice suggestions and funny jokes and for the most part people are having a fun time over there - a rare thing on Deranged Discussions for sure but not unheard of either. Ed Lewis even replied to the thread and kindly provided an answer from the devs on the issue.

The negativity in that thread mostly came from people who brought in their own pet agendas to the thread and attempted to judge others from on high or just because they had nothing better to do but post a negative comment, such is the DD section. But crucially, they were all promptly shown the door. Now that's something I've almost never seen. Posters collectively banding together and chucking out the bad eggs because they want to have a nice positive thread even if for some the tone of the initial OP may have rustled some feathers.

So don't be in such a rush to create an unfallible formula meant to predict the patterns of forum negativity. Take a look at the hair thread again, read through it and you'll find quite a lot of uplifting positivity and things that will rekindle your faith in the forum community in how they are capable of responding in the face of some of the worst a forum community can produce.

I'd go so far as to dub that thread one of the rare few "Be Excellent To Each Other" threads.

Well I just went and read the first 5 pages - passive aggressive and occassionally without the passive to shoot down anyone that disagrees with the need for long hair. I did not read or post in that thread when it was active, as I really have no strong opinion whether long hair should be introduced or not, but the passive aggressive on the first 5 pages annoyed the hell out of me.

Having an opinion that is not the same as the majority is a recipe to get shot down on these forums, not an opportunity for reasoned debate.

Simon

Top Bottom