Network performance / Instancing in Open on PS4 / PS5

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
Dear CMDRs,

With me ordering a new PC and actually spending a bit of time playing on my old aging PC on Elite to try a few things out again. It's an old Core i5-2500k and GTX 570 (it just about runs Horizons).

I've noticed a massive difference with instancing performance with PC Vs PS5.

While both my PC and PS5 are connected with gigabit LAN directly to the router (I have 300Mbps/75Mbps fibre to the home internet). Infact the PS5 has a slight advantage as it's literally directly to the router whereas the PC is upstairs so is wired to a ethernet port/patch plate upstairs, via CAT6 cables inside the walls out of another patch plate, into a switch then on to the router. (In theory this shouldn't make much difference)

On the PC I've been in instances with random CMDRs from around 12 other commanders to just in regular station instances with 2 or 3 players all fine. These are not on friends lists or in private groups. All Open.

On the PS5 sometimes (usually 80% of the time) if I get instanced with other players my frame rate takes a hit, sometimes slightly, sometimes slide show inducing. The PS5 seems better if I am instanced with friends.

On the PS5 I can usually tell I am getting instanced in a new system because I get stutter or slowdown. On the PC to notice I am getting instanced I need to have the bandwidth counter on.

This is over the last 2 to 3 weeks on PC compared to years on PS4 / PS5. The network performance has always been good on PC, this seems to never be the case on PS5.

Is it purely 'luck' on who I get instanced with (Not convinced personally) or something to do with poor Elite Dangerous network performance on PSN or maybe most PS players play on WiFi or have terrible connections? Not convinced that's the full answer either.

Any Open players care to comment or gave thoughts? Solo players obviously won't have instancing issues and private groups probably works differently although not really tested that.

As a side note the PS5 is vastly more powerful than my current PC and performance of my PS5 is vastly superior in Elite. The PC actually looks better graphically than the PS5 but, we won't go into that here as we have many other threads on that.

ichI've also had the PS5 for a few weeks. can confirm that the instances in the Open are very unstable. in solo play everything runs at 60 FPS in quality mode. hope the problem will be addressed soon

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
ichI've also had the PS5 for a few weeks. can confirm that the instances in the Open are very unstable. in solo play everything runs at 60 FPS in quality mode. hope the problem will be addressed soon
Yeh it's very annoying. Another check mark against playing on PS5. Not sure if there is an issue with how FDev are interacting with PSN or what is going on.

SindIs there a corresponding entry for the issue tracker? If so, please post the corresponding link for voting or confirmation.

Top Bottom