Release Neutron Highway long range route planner

Yeah, I'm getting an issue with the source system list also. Last night I managed to get the source system to work but the system list just didn't load.

Thank you mr Spansh! Again big kudos for your amazing bodies search. I'm still having fun cleaning errors in the database by hunting oddities down, and am getting more folks interested in the same, hah!

First of all...

thanks for this precious tool...

saved many jumps...

Then...
In these days i have reached beagle point with the help of the neutron router...

After reaching beagle, i had the plan to travel back to colonia, via the left side of the galaxy...
I had planted in the gal map of the game some random bookmark to mark my route...

the neutron router show me the route that i have set up.

But the navicomputer of my ship refused to calculate the route.
I had understand why.

So...
here is my question,
Is there a tool that help in finding routes with fsd boost via syntesis?

Station search is live. I had to refactor a lot of things (and in the process found quite a few bugs which I've fixed). There may still be some bugs but I have tested quite extensively.

I'm not 100% convinced about some of the field displaying so I may tweak it going forward. I will also be adding in discounted module and ship costs at a later stage.

Best places to sell void opals with a large pad and non planetary: https://spansh.co.uk/stations/search/06229136-0178-11EA-8255-C03DFF6517A0/1
Li Yong-Rui exploited station which sells cutters: https://spansh.co.uk/stations/search/56C3BCE6-0178-11EA-A149-723AFF6517A0/1

Last edited:
Station search is live. I had to refactor a lot of things (and in the process found quite a few bugs which I've fixed). There may still be some bugs but I have tested quite extensively.

I'm not 100% convinced about some of the field displaying so I may tweak it going forward. I will also be adding in discounted module and ship costs at a later stage.

Best places to sell void opals with a large pad and non planetary: https://spansh.co.uk/stations/search/06229136-0178-11EA-8255-C03DFF6517A0/1
Li Yong-Rui exploited station which sells cutters: https://spansh.co.uk/stations/search/56C3BCE6-0178-11EA-A149-723AFF6517A0/1
I spent some time making the module and market display a little easier to navigate and read. You can now display the buy price/sell price/demand/supply directly in the results table.

I've also incorporated module discounts and the ability to sort by module price, this required an index rebuild which is currently underway and should finish in a few hours. Whilst testing this I discovered a current issue where the station controlling faction isn't being populated in the index which will be resolved when the index is rebuilt next (tomorrow sometime).

Edit: The discounted modules and ships price is live

Class 7A FSD: https://spansh.co.uk/stations/search/FC8720EC-06D1-11EA-A508-1E41FF6517A0/1
Imperial Eagle: https://spansh.co.uk/stations/search/7543C88E-06F3-11EA-90F0-994FFF6517A0/1
Anaconda: https://spansh.co.uk/stations/search/2AE93E9A-06F3-11EA-BA39-944FFF6517A0/1

Last edited:
First time posting.
I have just really seriously started playing ED on Xbox one. My question to you is on the R2R site you do. How is the data updated. Do you get info from Frontier on which bodies have already been scanned. Many thanks for any info.

Carlito, we/spansh/EDSM and EDDN do not get the data directly from frontier, we get it from players using the right tools... PC users use third party tool like EDDiscovery or EDMC... For Xbox, one has to use the 'console updater' from the EDSM.net website in order to help, hang on...

Source: https://twitter.com/edsm_net/status/1075462036920983553?lang=en
helps figure it out...
Many thanks for your help. Registered to these sites now. Looking forward to taking flight later.

I've now added a nightly data dump to https://spansh.co.uk/dumps. This is a dump of the entire galaxy from my data warehouse. It includes every system, body, station (including market, outfitting and shipyard data).

It's broken down by system as one JSON array of systems (though each system is on it's own line to ease parsing for those who would prefer that).

There may still be some data inaccuracies where I've made a mistake or inherited bad data. Let me know if you find any issues.

The format is largely self explanatory and is largely based on the EDSM nightly dump format/key names (though is obviously missing EDSM id's). Every system and body has an id64 (and as such the warehouse is missing the roughly 14million at last count bodies without ids).

The Elite: Dangerous Index can be found at https://www.spansh.co.uk

Features

• Route plotter, so you can plot a route between systems prioritising neutron star supercharging to reduce your journey time
  • Waypoint routing, allows you to route via systems you may like to visit on the way (Sol to Beagle Point via Colonia and Sagittarius A*)
  • Prioritises supercharged jumps
  • Breaks plots over 20000LY automatically
  • No maximum distance
  • No maximum jump range
  • If you do not wish to prioritise neutrons (and simply want a route breaking down into roughly 20000LY gaps) then set the efficiency to 100%
  • Display your route on a graphical map of the galaxy compared to the direct route so you can see how far from the straight line you deviate.
  • Allows you to find nearby "known" systems from rough coordinates (useful if the system you're trying to get to hasn't been visited before).
  • Display a map of known neutron stars in the galaxy to let explorers see where they should explore next
  • Road to riches router to find you a route passing through high value systems with bodies to scan
  • Saves scanned bodies so that it will not re-generate them (log in to the site required)
  • System searching to find systems with unusual/desired attributes
  • Body searching to find bodies with desired attributes (for instance particular materials)
  • Trade route generator to optimise your trading
The tool will minimise the number of jumps you have to make during a long distance journey. For instance a trip from Sol to Colonia with a 40LY range normally would take 2 visits to the galaxy map and roughly 600 jumps. With neutron boosting it comes down to 164 trips to the galaxy map (roughly 213 jumps at 60% efficiency). Going up to a 45LY range it would be 2 visits to the galaxy map and 540 jumps. With neutron boosting it comes down to 112 trips (124 jumps at 60% efficiency).

In order to use it just put in your start system and destination system and your jump range and hit submit. It will then give you a list of star systems to plot via the galaxy map. You can tweak the efficiency in order to control how far off the direct route the system will take you to find neutron stars (The in game router tends to work roughly the same as 99.5 efficiency).

Short story,
  1. Enable "Use jet-cone boost" option on the galaxy map.
  2. Put system into the galaxy map in game (PC users can click the "Copy" button and paste it)
  3. Click plot
  4. Jump until you get to the system
  5. If the system is a neutron star, supercharge your FSD
  6. Take the next system on the list and go to 1
It does not currently take into account the requirement to stop for fuel or repairs to your FSD so pay attention and make the odd detour to scoop when you're getting low on fuel or need to repair. What I tend to do is jump until I have 1 jumps worth of fuel left and then route myself to a KGBFOAM star closest to the next neutron star I was heading to. Because of a lack of data, it is also possible that it will route you via a neutron boost into a group of systems which you do not have the jump range to get out of, so please be a little careful (this is mostly a problem with a very low base jump range).

It can take up to a minute to calculate a very long route through a particularly badly mapped area so be patient. It will tell you if it has broken for any reason.

Edit History

Edit 02/12/2016: I spent some time optimising the site this evening with some new ideas, I had optimistically envisaged a 5-10x speedup. However the resulting speedup is somewhere in the region of 50-100x, a Sol to Colonia plot now takes under 2 seconds.
Edit 11/01/2017: Substantially upgraded the server, plots should now be speedier and will run more at the same time.
Edit 26/05/2017: Another speed up on the router, fixed a bug with intermediate system jumps. Added waypoints to routing.
Edit 16/08/2017: Beta site link with new features
Edit 18/08/2017: Added 2.4 information
Edit 19/03/2019: Large update with new features

You know what would make life tons easier for someone who plots the route for several passenger missions with each customer demanding a different route? being able to move way points up and down the route with a single click, like a "Mov Up" and "Move Down" button next to each way point!

Awesome tool, thanks

Don't know if it's been requested already but are there any plans to account for refueling in the neutron plotter?
Not the current version, but I am working (gradually) on a full plotter that takes into account neutrons and refueling, though it's in very early stages at the moment.

made account just for this:
why does the Road to riches tool zigzag back and forth? I mean zigzagging side to side is ok and expected, but why does it go 30 ly away only to return to the star that is 5 light years away from the star you started at instead of going to the 5 ly away star and then to the 30 ly away star that is less than 30ly away from it?

it frustrates the hell out of me but since this is tool is otherwise the most comprehensive one, I keep coming back... even though it makes me want to strangle the coder.

using the basic qwerty keyboard as an example... starting with Q and ending with O, with E,R,G,B,J and N as stars with planets I want to scan, it should logically go QERGBNJO but it goes something like QEGRFNJBHO!
which is really freaking annoying!
The other tool I use frequently (but can never remember the name of) does not allow me to decide which worlds I want to scan, as it only lists things from water worlds to better paying ones, but it at least does the the route sensibly!

but other than that annoyance, the road to riches tool is REALLY FREAKING AMAZING! thanks for making it!

Did a thing. I bookmarked every system on my list from Volkov to Diaguandri. Now all I have to do is visit them in order I deem the best and then unbookmark them all. rather annoying to see all those loops back to the system right next to the one I had been 20 jumps ago...

Last edited:
made account just for this:
why does the Road to riches tool zigzag back and forth? I mean zigzagging side to side is ok and expected, but why does it go 30 ly away only to return to the star that is 5 light years away from the star you started at instead of going to the 5 ly away star and then to the 30 ly away star that is less than 30ly away from it?

it frustrates the hell out of me but since this is tool is otherwise the most comprehensive one, I keep coming back... even though it makes me want to strangle the coder.
That would be me.... Nice way to introduce yourself. One thing you may wish to bear in mind is that the problem to solve this is known as the travelling salesman problem, one of the most well known NP-Hard problems in computer science.

using the basic qwerty keyboard as an example... starting with Q and ending with O, with E,R,G,B,J and N as stars with planets I want to scan, it should logically go QERGBNJO but it goes something like QEGRFNJBHO!
which is really freaking annoying!
The other tool I use frequently (but can never remember the name of) does not allow me to decide which worlds I want to scan, as it only lists things from water worlds to better paying ones, but it at least does the the route sensibly!

but other than that annoyance, the road to riches tool is REALLY FREAKING AMAZING! thanks for making it!

Did a thing. I bookmarked every system on my list from Volkov to Diaguandri. Now all I have to do is visit them in order I deem the best and then unbookmark them all. rather annoying to see all those loops back to the system right next to the one I had been 20 jumps ago...
You should probably check the number of jumps you have to make then check to see whether or not the system suggested you take a route that works out to be less. The other tool you're talking about uses a greedy routing algorithm (it always picks the closest next target) which can produce reasonable routes but will often end up very inoptimal towards the end of a route.

My code starts with exactly that route and then iterates over that route to minimise the total number of jumps. The routes aren't guaranteed to be the absolute best (the code uses a 2-opt replacement system https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2-opt) but they are normally pretty close. If it's zigzagging around it's because it's found that doing that turns out to be less jumps than the greedy route.

There are other algorithms which are somewhat better (3-opt and lin-kernighan) though I haven't had time to implement those yet (the algorithms are also drastically harder to understand and implement).

If you feel that a route isn't optimal then you can give me the link to the route and I can take a look.

Last edited:
Top Bottom