Neutron Star Discovery

It seems to me that, no matter where I am exploring, all of the neutron stars seem to be discovered already. Probably some commanders make it their goal to travel around, looking for or jumping between these stars.

I recently came across two such stars that had not been previously discovered and I'm hoping that I will be back in "civilisation" in time to claim them. This is the first time I've come across undiscovered neutron stars since I started, some 4 years ago, so it feels pretty special.

I was wondering if there was any kind of registry for the neutron stars - as I was guided there by the galaxy map routing system, I would think they are already known?

II was wondering if there was any kind of registry for the neutron stars - as I was guided there by the galaxy map routing system, I would think they are already known?

Luckily the route planner doesn't work just on data from already discovered systems (i.e., already scanned systems) otherwise it would only be able to plan routes that other people had already taken :)

As for discovering new Neutron Stars that haven't been scanned yet... they often seem to be in bunches above or below the Galactic Plane. Last time I was out exploring I often dropped into large collections of NS within a 200ly bubble of each other.

It seems to me that, no matter where I am exploring, all of the neutron stars seem to be discovered already. Probably some commanders make it their goal to travel around, looking for or jumping between these stars.

I recently came across two such stars that had not been previously discovered and I'm hoping that I will be back in "civilisation" in time to claim them. This is the first time I've come across undiscovered neutron stars since I started, some 4 years ago, so it feels pretty special.

I was wondering if there was any kind of registry for the neutron stars - as I was guided there by the galaxy map routing system, I would think they are already known?

About 7kly out past Sag A* I hit a big patch of undiscoverds, anything close and easy has been found already, I have yet to find an undiscovered nebula though, even a planetary one that are harder to spot.

Off the beaten paths of the galaxy it's almost only untagged Neutron stars. Seeing how numerous they are I'd say the vast majority of the Neutrons stars are yet untagged. Just get 2-3 kly away from Bubble, Colonia, Sag A* and the ways in between.

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator

As Fenris said the route plotting in the Galaxy Map doesn't take into account whether or not a star has been previously discovered. The only registry for them as it were, is if people have uploaded their discoveries on to EDSM. There's a tool created by Spansh, which is https://www.spansh.co.uk/ that will plot route prioritising Neutron Stars, I used it when I made my Buckyball Sag A* run and then on to Beagle Point. One thing I noticed was that although the stars it points you to have obviously been discovered before, they are more often than not surrounded by other Neutron stars that have not been discovered. Most people seem to just be using them as a highway, though there are certainly Neutron hunters, especially in the early days of exploration.

I've just made a trip out to my little system in the void 42,000 Kylies from Sol, I went out in roughly a straight line and I'm now in the process of working my way back around the Norma Arm. I reckon I've come across around a hundred or so undiscovered Neutron Stars already and I've probably still got around 35k to go.

Hope you manage to claim your ones.

I don't get it where the problem is in discovering untagged neutrons. Even on the highway to Colonia i found plenty of them (plotting a route 2-3 neutrons ahead, this usually saves me an extra 2-3 jumps in the end and you can't miss fuel stops).
And there's a lot untagged too near the hub (<5k ly). A few days ago the ingame plotter (yes ingame, i didn't believed that too) found me an unknown 'highway' 5k ly long to a star not too far from the hub that was waiting to be tagged 2k ly below the plane. Only one of these ~25 neutrons where tagged at all

Neutron stars discovered to date (of those submitted to EDSM). You can see that some of the well travelled paths are heavily filled in, but as others have said, there are millions more out there. Even the areas that look fully discovered in the map, you can still find a lot of undiscovered ones.

neutrons.png

Last edited:
Note that for a long time, well before boosting, neutron star (and black hole) farming was the quickest way of earning credits from exploration. (It was also mind-numbingly boring.) So it makes sense that you'd run into many that are tagged... but away from the beaten paths, there are still many more undiscovered.

Thanks to those who gave considerate replies.

I'm currently 17 kLY out, in the direction of Sag A, doing a nebula to nebula tour. All of the nebulae have been scanned to death, but on the routes in between I am having very long runs of undiscovered systems (several hundred of them so far) - the only exception being the neutron stars, hence my surprise when I came a cross a couple that had not yet been 'claimed'.

Thanks to those who gave considerate replies.

I'm currently 17 kLY out, in the direction of Sag A, doing a nebula to nebula tour. All of the nebulae have been scanned to death, but on the routes in between I am having very long runs of undiscovered systems (several hundred of them so far) - the only exception being the neutron stars, hence my surprise when I came a cross a couple that had not yet been 'claimed'.
thats probably why theyve all been discovered if youre heading directly as the cobra flies between nebulae, if you drop or side step about 100-200ly then head on you should find less have been discovered possibly in the centre, the ones around the edges of the nebulae have probably all been taken

thats probably why theyve all been discovered if youre heading directly as the cobra flies between nebulae, if you drop or side step about 100-200ly then head on you should find less have been discovered possibly in the centre, the ones around the edges of the nebulae have probably all been taken

I'm not specifically after neutron stars - and every other system - with very few exceptions - are as yet undiscovered, so I don't want to change anything at all. AFAIC I am doing exactly the right thing, because so far I have discovered nearly 300 systems and I'm far from finished.

This is OT anyway and not what I posted or asked about in the first place. Which at the end of the day is why I doubted whether I should ask here - and should have taken heed of my own and normal stance which is not to bother posting here.

Bye now - have fun playing with yourselves :)

I make it a habit of going to all Neutrons that I find, and can usually find undiscovered ones, have over 240 with my name on them now, but even if the star is already named when I arrive, I can usually find that they left all the other stuff in the system undiscovered, so will scan them and get my name on them. Its like a record of your passing that future explorers will see. I don't mind that I don't get the whole system, but anyone that comes after me will know that I have already been through. Its a good rule of thumb to note, if you ever jump into a system and see my name on the main star, just move along, because I don't leave nothing unscanned behind. Too date I have my name in over 5400 different systems, and I have more systems completely named by me than the systems that I am piggybacked in.

According to EGO I have scanned over 1500 Neutron stars. Believe it or not they are all over the place waiting to be discovered. Obviously the well worn routes will be picked clean. Travelling up and down on the galactic plane is a good way to find the untouched ones and I spend a lot of time searching them out, panning up and down on the map. You just need time and patience to spot them in certain areas and there will usually be a cluster if you find some.

Apologies for resurrecting a necro.

I'm out in the Trojan Belt right now and in the past week I've come across twenty untagged neutron stars in a relatively small area.

Neutrons.jpg

Apologies not accepted 😇

There are millions of them out there waiting to be discovered.
There are 2 thick blankets of neutron stars above and below the ecliptic

In my last Bubble-Colonia-SagA-Bubble trip i got 200 new neutrons as first discoveries out of 600 visited systems.

The trick was really simple
I started with spansh neutron router, but i never landed in the systems proposed by the plotter - i picked other neutrons more or less nearby specifically avoiding the ones proposed by Spansh.

Top Bottom