14. Chital
15. Greater rhea
16. Chinchila
17. Red junglefowl
18. Nine-banded armadillo
19. Mute swan
20. Sea otter

Last edited:
With regards to the debate around the inclusion of fully aquatic animals in the meta-wishlist. Jason pretty much nailed my thoughts on the matter and why I think "big" aquatic animals can be accepted while flying birds can't (for now).
For me, at least, it's because cetaceans seem very unlikely. I'm fine with more semiaquatic animals (cabybara, platypus, walrus, or new wading birds), but a manatee seems basically like a sea lion that just never gets out of the water. I'm sure logistically more has to go into that than just taking away land animations, but it seemed more doable than say adding fish.
99% aquatic animals are currently doable with the current mechanics. We have volumetric water and diving animations. Right now the only issue is the habitat gate that forces you to have around 2 m of land in front of it, but even with this it's still possible to build aquariums (check videos on youtube from CCs). The animal behaviour can be changed to make it spend 99% of the time underwater. This is much more easy and feasible (even modders do it) than a whole new flying system, hence why I accept the occasional big aquatic animal here.
Small fish that would tipically share aquarium with other species are a different story because these would pretty much fall into the category of 'exhibit animals' anyway.

Hmm... I just noticed you never lumped the Canis lupus subspecies votes together like you did the Leopards...
  • Arabian wolf (Canis lupus arabs) ------ 1
  • Italian Wolf (Canis lupus italicus) ------ 1
  • Mexican Wolf (Canis lupus baileyi) ---- 2
Shouldn't they be merged under one vote also? I mean, I suppose it would only be four in all, but still...
I allow subspecies only for animals that are already in-game (wolves, tigers, brown bears etc.), specially considering that there are cases like the ones I mention that only represent a subspecies or even a population in-game.
The grey wolf is a debatable topic but it's ultimately Frontier's fault. While it is categorized as "Grey wolf" in some languages that's not the case for others ("Mckenzie Valley wolf" in Spanish for instance) and even in the campaign scenarios it is referred as one of the North American subspecies or a mix of them. Given that the arquetype of the in-game wolf is clearly that of one of the North-American or Rocky Mountains subspecies, I find it reasonable to accept other subspecies.

99% aquatic animals are currently doable with the current mechanics. We have volumetric water and diving animations. Right now the only issue is the habitat gate that forces you to have around 2 m of land in front of it, but even with this it's still possible to build aquariums (check videos on youtube from CCs). The animal behaviour can be changed to make it spend 99% of the time underwater. This is much more easy and feasible (even modders do it) than a whole new flying system, hence why I accept the occasional big aquatic animal here.
Small fish that would tipically share aquarium with other species are a different story because these would pretty much fall into the category of 'exhibit animals' anyway.
It might be worth mentioning that my own personal wishlist for the next ~35 habitat animals does include more fully-aquatic species, like bat rays, reef sharks, and sea turtles. But reducing my own list down to 20, I took off most of my aquatic animals.

If we really, really wanted to, we could condense manatees, walruses, seals, otters, etc, and just have "Slot Reserved for Marine Mammal." I mean, that gets really reductive, obviously but unless the next 5 dlc packs elect to give us more than 7 habitat animals, then I logistically don't see us getting more than 1 (maybe, maybe 2) new sea animals.

That said, the side-to-side swimming animations do already exist for crocodilians so maybe it would be reasonable to assume sharks aren't as out there as I'm thinking they are. Really I guess it's the rays and turtles with their underwater flying that would be more or less unique.

At any rate, I do feel that dolphins are highly unlikely, and orcas are basically impossible. Forgetting even the controversy of adding orcas post-Blackfish (a documentary that basically brought SeaWorld to its knees), the sheer size of a suitable habitat would basically be half the map. Now, when they tried to release Keiko into the wild, they made that giant artificial bay enclosure - and there's no long-term studies on cetaceans in that kind of quasi-suitable habitat - but the cost of making that artificial bay was exorbitant. If not for Free Willy and public outcry, none of that would have happened. Really the one and only cetacean that might ever be included would be belugas. Not saying they're not also a controversial choice, but they do seem more accepting of being in tanks than other cetaceans (probably because part of their natural habitat involves clustering around breathing holes when the sea ice traps them over winter), but even belugas seem way less likely than manatees, walrus, otters, or other ocean life.

It might be worth mentioning that my own personal wishlist for the next ~35 habitat animals does include more fully-aquatic species, like bat rays, reef sharks, and sea turtles. But reducing my own list down to 20, I took off most of my aquatic animals.

If we really, really wanted to, we could condense manatees, walruses, seals, otters, etc, and just have "Slot Reserved for Marine Mammal." I mean, that gets really reductive, obviously but unless the next 5 dlc packs elect to give us more than 7 habitat animals, then I logistically don't see us getting more than 1 (maybe, maybe 2) new sea animals.

That said, the side-to-side swimming animations do already exist for crocodilians so maybe it would be reasonable to assume sharks aren't as out there as I'm thinking they are. Really I guess it's the rays and turtles with their underwater flying that would be more or less unique.

At any rate, I do feel that dolphins are highly unlikely, and orcas are basically impossible. Forgetting even the controversy of adding orcas post-Blackfish (a documentary that basically brought SeaWorld to its knees), the sheer size of a suitable habitat would basically be half the map. Now, when they tried to release Keiko into the wild, they made that giant artificial bay enclosure - and there's no long-term studies on cetaceans in that kind of quasi-suitable habitat - but the cost of making that artificial bay was exorbitant. If not for Free Willy and public outcry, none of that would have happened. Really the one and only cetacean that might ever be included would be belugas. Not saying they're not also a controversial choice, but they do seem more accepting of being in tanks than other cetaceans (probably because part of their natural habitat involves clustering around breathing holes when the sea ice traps them over winter), but even belugas seem way less likely than manatees, walrus, otters, or other ocean life.
All fully aquatic animals are impossible without a new dedicated aquatic habitat system, which is bigger than any change implemented since launch.

Unless we get a dedicated dlc, there is zero chance we'll see fully aquatics, as the effort of developing such a system is far greater than the profit of a single fully aquatic animal in a non-aquatic dlc. Same goes for aviary birds.

All fully aquatic animals are impossible without a new dedicated aquatic habitat system, which is bigger than any change implemented since launch.

Unless we get a dedicated dlc, there is zero chance we'll see fully aquatics, as the effort of developing such a system is far greater than the profit of a single fully aquatic animal in a non-aquatic dlc. Same goes for aviary birds.
I'm honestly not disagreeing with that. I'm of the opinion that the dlc packs aren't true expansion packs, as they're not really changing the game that much (I equate them to the stuff packs for the Sims games).

I am honestly curious/ worried whether or not the rumored 12th dlc pack is the last dlc we get before version 2.0 and have a major expansion... or if that will close out the game and potentially move to Planet Zoo 2. I'm hoping for the former unless PZ2 starts with the full zoopedia catalog.

I'm honestly not disagreeing with that. I'm of the opinion that the dlc packs aren't true expansion packs, as they're not really changing the game that much (I equate them to the stuff packs for the Sims games).

I am honestly curious/ worried whether or not the rumored 12th dlc pack is the last dlc we get before version 2.0 and have a major expansion... or if that will close out the game and potentially move to Planet Zoo 2. I'm hoping for the former unless PZ2 starts with the full zoopedia catalog.
My bet is on PZ2, based on the leaked roadmap and precedent set by PC/JWE/JWE2.

Just putting it into perspective: that means 5 more major updates (excluding patches, of course).

Flying is supposedly leaked, right?

What would the other 4 be? I'm kinda more excited for those than the flying one, but that's just me
I for sure hope a an Exhibit update is one of them.

An update fixing all animal models that feels bad or outdated compared to the current standard would also be a big deal!

Just putting it into perspective: that means 5 more major updates (excluding patches, of course).

What would the other 4 be? I'm kinda more excited for those than the flying one, but that's just me
The apparent evidence for flying is something in the leak referencing "flocking" and that obviously has a connotation for birds.

But flocking is kind of a broad term, and it's possible it could reference herding behavior in animals, or even crowd control in human visitors.

Current habitat boundaries don't have ceilings, so to add flying birds would require a new bounding system or else birds would have to have an invisible "anchor" object that prevents them from exceeding a set distance. It'll be a whole thing to add birds and bats.

Nah, someone, I forget who, found in the Planet Coaster files identical mentions of that same flying code, which PC used for it's pigeon systems. Since PZ is based off of the same engine as PC, they're just leftovers :)

But flocking is kind of a broad term, and it's possible it could reference herding behavior in animals, or even crowd control in human visitors.
And a type of preservation method that sometimes gets put on Christmas trees to keep them good for longer. Plus, it does resemble snow. To a point.

Nah, someone, I forget who, found in the Planet Coaster files identical mentions of that same flying code, which PC used for it's pigeon systems. Since PZ is based off of the same engine as PC, they're just leftovers :)
Dang, that's disappointing. I still have hope, though! Birds are essential to me for a zoo.

1. Golden Lionhead Tamarin
2. Coati
3. Capybara
4. Threetoed Sloth
5. Howler Monkey
6. Amazonian Manatee
7. African Porcupine
8. Asian Small Clawed Otter
9. Maned Wolf
10. Greater Rhea
11. Honey Badger
12. Ocelot
13. Southern three-banded armadillo
14. Fossa
15. Red River Hog
16. Secretary Bird
17. Collared Peccari
18. Wombat
19. Tasmanian Devil
20. Kinkajou

1. Eurasian Lynx
2. Przewalski's Wild Horse
3. Alpine Ibex
4. Wolverine
5. Sloth
6. Gelada Baboon
7. Lar Gibbon
8. Black Howler Monkey
9. Common Squirrel Monkey
10. South American Coati
11. Goodfellow's Tree-Kangaroo
12. Platypus
13. West Indian Manatee
14. African Crested Porcupine
15. Fossa
16. Grey crowned Crane / Secretary Bird
17. Asian Small-clawed Otter
18. Geoffroys Spider Monkey
19. Honey Badger
20. Tasmanian Devil

Nope, you and me then.
Huh. That's news.

1. Capybara
2. Great White Pelican
3. Asian Small-Clawed Otter
4. Lar Gibbon
5. Leopard
6. South American Coati
7. Bennett's Wallaby
8. Golden Lion Tamarin
9. Eurasian Lynx
10. Grey-crowned Crane
11. Hamadryas Baboon
12. Barbarie Macaque
13. West Indian Manatee
14. Crested Porcupine
15. Red Deer
16. Red-crowned Crane
17. Greater Rhea
18. Sloth
19. Alpine Ibex
20. Patagonian Mara

It would be interesting to compare the popularity of animals and their presence in zoos (based on zootierlist for instance). Surprisingly, some animals (like the mara) are very common in zoos yet very rarely requested by the community.

It's so hard to pick! Just started playing last week and enjoy it so much.

1. Maned Wolf
2. Przewalskis Horse
3. Manatee
4. Chinese Giant Salamander
5. Sloth (Any)
6. Serval
7. Kiwi
8. Aye-Aye
9. Colugo
10. Lesser bushbaby/Galagos (Or any small galagos)
11. White-backed vulture
12. Platypus
13. Capybara
14. Shoebill
15. Honey badger
16. Brown hyena
17. Fossa
18. Racoon Dog
19. Mouse Deer
20. Patagonian Mara

1. European Badger
  2. African crested Porcupine
  3. Gerenuk
  4. Big Horn Sheep
  5. Greater Kudu
  6. Walrus
  7. Dik-dik
  8. Red Fox
  9. Serval
  10. Caracal
  11. Eurasian Lynx
  12. Common Wombat
  13. Bennet’s Wallaby
  14. Platypus
  15. Sloth
  16. Nine Banded Armadillo
  17. Capybara
  18. Sea Otter
  19. Black Howler Monkey
  20. Lion Tailed Tamarind

1. Common Wombat
2. Coquerel's Sifaka
3. Platypus
4. Siamang
5. African Crested Porcupine
6. Capybara
7. Sea Otters
8. Harbor Seals
9. Honey Badger
10. Olive Baboon
11. North Island Brown Kiwi
12. Emu
13. Goodfellow Tree-kangaroo
14. Black and White Ruffed Lemur
15. Lar Gibbon
16. Dromedary
17. North American Black Bear
18. Black and White Colobus Monkey
19. Fallow Deer
20. Argentine Tegu

1. Short-Beaked Echidna
2. Musk Ox
3. Common Wombat
4. Przewalski's Horse
5. Tasmania Devil
6. Numbat
7. Bennett’s Wallaby
8. Sika Deer
9. Quokka
10. Ribbon Seal
11. Emu
12. Markhor
13. Gerenuk
14. Shoebill
15. Great White Pelican
16. Superb Lyrebird
17. Walrus
18. Secretary Bird
19. European Badger
20. Platypus

1. Siamang
  2. Sri Lankan Leopard
  3. Golden Lion Tamarin
  4. Fossa
  5. Mountain anoa
  6. Kudu (greater or lesser)
  7. Gaur
  8. Blue eyed black lemur
  9. Walrus
  10. Rusty Spotted Cat
  11. Dama gazelle
  12. Capybara
  13. Kiwi
  14. Secretary Bird
  15. Shoebill
  16. African crowned crane
  17. Lion tailed macaque
  18. Species of Langur (purple faced, silvery, francois, or grey)
  19. Visayan warty pig
  20. Sifaka (any species)

01. Red Fox
02. Gelada
03. Sifaka
04. Howler Monkey
05. Squirrel Monkey
06. Lion Tamarin
07. Gibbon (any species)
08. Giant Armadillo
09. Cabybara
10. Ocelot
11. Three-Toed Sloth
12. Tamandua
13. Spectacled Bear
14. Red-Necked Wallaby
15. Tasmanian Devil
16. Emu
17. Amur Leopard (or any species of leopard)
18. Red River Hog
19. Przewalski's Horse
20. Manatee

1. African Leopard
2. Lar Gibbon
3. Eurasian Lynx
4. Platypus
5. Capybara
6. Red Dear
7. Alpine Ibex
8. Secretary Bird
9. Walrus
10. West Indian Manatee
11. Green Sea Turtle
12. Spectacled Bear
13. Marine Iguana
14. Olive Baboon
15. Nile Crocodile
16. African Forest Elephant
17. Wild Boar
18. European Badger
19. Bighorn Sheep
20. American Black Bear

Thanks, @random goat for the work you are doing! Here is my contribution:

1. Capybara
2. Kirk’s Dik-Dik
3. Six-Banded Armadillo
4. Bennett’s Wallaby
5. Emu
6. Helmeted Guineafowl
7. Venezuelan Red Howler Monkey
8. Visayan Warty Pig
9. Tree Kangaroo
10. Sloth
11. Bush Dog
12. Maned Wolf
13. Azara’s Agouti
14. Roloway Monkey
15. Guinea Baboon
16. Sarus Crane
17. Cotton-top Tamarin Monkey
18. Mallard Duck
19. Crested Porcupine
20. Pudu

1. Amur leopard
  2. Capybara
  3. Tasmanian devil
  4. Przewalski’s horse
  5. Maned wolf
  6. Eurasian lynx
  7. Lar gibbon
  8. African crested porcupine
  9. Wolverine
  10. Fossa
  11. Goodfellow’s Tree Kangaroo
  12. Asian Small-clawed Otter
  13. South American Coati
  14. Gelada Baboon
  15. Common wombat
  16. Takin
  17. Patagonian Mara
  18. Gaur
  19. Spectacled Bear
  20. Alpine Ibex

• Serval
  • Nigerian Dwarf Goat
  • Eurasian Lynx
  • Leopard
  • Tasmamian Devil
  • Przewalski’s Horse
  • Lar Gibbon
  • Common Wombat
  • Goodfellow’s Tree Kangaroo
  • Asian Small-clawed Otter
  • Ocelot
  • Elk/Wapiti
  • Red Deer
  • South American Coati
  • Giant Eland
  • Sea Otter
  • European Hare
  • Walrus
  • Markhor
  • African Crested Porcupine

1. Maned wolf
2. Sumatran Rhino
3. Kakapo
4. Asiatic lion
5. Red-crowned crane
6. Radiated tortoise
7. Spectabled bear
8. Golden lion tamarin
9. Somali wild donkey
10. Addax
11. Gaur
12. Coquerel’s sifaka
13. Père David’s deer
14. Chital
15. Greater rhea
16. Chinchila
17. Red junglefowl
18. Nine-banded armadillo
19. Mute swan
20. Sea otter

1. Golden Lionhead Tamarin
2. Coati
3. Capybara
4. Threetoed Sloth
5. Howler Monkey
6. Amazonian Manatee
7. African Porcupine
8. Asian Small Clawed Otter
9. Maned Wolf
10. Greater Rhea
11. Honey Badger
12. Ocelot
13. Southern three-banded armadillo
14. Fossa
15. Red River Hog
16. Secretary Bird
17. Collared Peccari
18. Wombat
19. Tasmanian Devil
20. Kinkajou

1. Eurasian Lynx
2. Przewalski's Wild Horse
3. Alpine Ibex
4. Wolverine
5. Sloth
6. Gelada Baboon
7. Lar Gibbon
8. Black Howler Monkey
9. Common Squirrel Monkey
10. South American Coati
11. Goodfellow's Tree-Kangaroo
12. Platypus
13. West Indian Manatee
14. African Crested Porcupine
15. Fossa
16. Grey crowned Crane / Secretary Bird
17. Asian Small-clawed Otter
18. Geoffroys Spider Monkey
19. Honey Badger
20. Tasmanian Devil
All added! 14 new lists with 15 brand-new animals!

This update also means that we've surpassed the number of participants in the last meta-wishlist (191 compared to 185). What's more: even though we're at a later stage of the game, this figure was reached in 4 months time, unlike the 6 months it took to reach it in the last meta-wishlist iteration. Great news!

Last edited:
Top Bottom