New animal - Dolphins

I hope that if they do make an aquatic DLC that they'll include more 'obscure' or lesser-known animals and not just a few well-known ones.

Way to ruin fun lmao, idk abt you but how is a game the same as real life?

Well, mostly because Frontier has specifically said pre-release and post-release that the game is built around real-life concepts. It isn't supposed to be Zoo Tycoon. The vast majority of zoos would keep sea lions or seals of some variety, but only the tourist-trap water parks that are at an awkward meeting point between theme park and zoo keep dolphins and whales (well, I think there's a zoo in Chicago that has dolphins, but there are exceptions to every rule). In any case, the controversy caused by Blackfish, whether you agree with its message or not, has pretty much turned public opinion off of places like SeaWorld across the board. Since the game is supposed to be about education and conservation, what sense would there be in deliberately going against that to fulfil some community members' need for ZT2 nostalgia?

I'm not trying to "ruin fun" (in any case, this is a discussion board and I contributed to the discussion - just because you didn't like it doesn't make me wrong), I just don't want Frontier to get hit with backlash from a small part of the fanbase if they never do a marine DLC. I also don't want to see people get all up in arms if they do release one, but it only contains zoo-specific animals like sea lions, sea otters, and penguins and not the depressed dancing orca.

Well, mostly because Frontier has specifically said pre-release and post-release that the game is built around real-life concepts. It isn't supposed to be Zoo Tycoon. The vast majority of zoos would keep sea lions or seals of some variety, but only the tourist-trap water parks that are at an awkward meeting point between theme park and zoo keep dolphins and whales (well, I think there's a zoo in Chicago that has dolphins, but there are exceptions to every rule). In any case, the controversy caused by Blackfish, whether you agree with its message or not, has pretty much turned public opinion off of places like SeaWorld across the board. Since the game is supposed to be about education and conservation, what sense would there be in deliberately going against that to fulfil some community members' need for ZT2 nostalgia?

I'm not trying to "ruin fun" (in any case, this is a discussion board and I contributed to the discussion - just because you didn't like it doesn't make me wrong), I just don't want Frontier to get hit with backlash from a small part of the fanbase if they never do a marine DLC. I also don't want to see people get all up in arms if they do release one, but it only contains zoo-specific animals like sea lions, sea otters, and penguins and not the depressed dancing orca.
As I see these arguments, I feel sick. You're wrong.
In real life there are of course well-meaning zoos. but you're making a mistake here. For example, you talking about Seaworld. SeaWorld is primarily an approved facility. They rehabilitated more than 36,000 injured or sick animals. also invested $ 10 million to investigate and learn more about killer whales to organizations. I'm not a SeaWorld fan. but I've always been fair. I think they need to change. If Blackfish is to prevent the addition of killer whales to this game, let's review all the animals. Elephants are also purely for attracting tourists.

the other subject. Nobody is against protection. Already I couldn't see anything about protect animal in the game. In the game about protection you only have to realesed the animals to the wild nature. these were already present in Zoo Tycoon. Zoo Tycoon Ultimate Animal Collection was even more detailed to protect animals. You could see the animal you left in the wild on the map. Information from animals you left in the wild. Protecting animals is completely image. sales strategy. because real-world zoos were also criticized. They said all the zoos are trying to protect the animals. but it's all a lie. their purpose is to ensure that they do not harm the sector completely. An animal born and raised in captivity is unlikely to live in the wild. animals usually die. especially large cats. Also, There are also animals that do not need protection in this game. So, what is the purpose of keeping animals that do not need protection in zoos?

I don't know why I needed to make so many explanations. hmm I guess there is injustice. Anyway, I don't want to talk too much. Frontier has to be fair about it. If they are not fair, then there will be a big fight. But I think Fontier will be fair. Because I'm sure Frontier knows no one has to buy this DLC. Example you, don't have to take buy this DLC. Or don't put them in your park if you don't want a killer whale or dolphin. You don't have to put dolphin in park. Anyone can put any animal in this game. And I want dolphins and killer whales. already too much demand. You say you don't want them in the game as if someone forcibly put dolphins in your park. Everything is in your hands, not ours.

Last edited:

There's going to be "backlash" no matter what they do. This is the Internet, after all... And people are always going to want more or something different than what is implemented. Part of what I think is neat about all of this is that the fans are already driving what is implemented in the game to a certain extent. And I'm sure Frontier is keeping a close eye on the "wishlist" and "suggestions" section of these forums, as well as other sections of the Internet where fans talk about the game (e.g., Twitter, Reddit, Steam).

It's impossible to please everybody, but at the end of the day, I think Frontier is going to do what there is demand for within the fan base that also reflects the vision that they have for the game and what works within the "rules" and the vibe that they've set-up for the game. And from what they've communicated thus far (both pre- and post-release) I just don't think marine mammals like dolphins or orcas are in the cards for all the reasons you laid out previously. Same goes for dinosaurs and other extinct animals...

But hey. Bring on that aquatic animal DLC pack with penguins, sea lions, sea otters, and harbor seals!

As I see these arguments, I feel sick. You're wrong.

No I'm not?

In real life there are of course well-meaning zoos. but you're making a mistake here. For example, you talking about Seaworld. SeaWorld is primarily an approved facility. They rehabilitated more than 36,000 injured or sick animals. also invested $ 10 million to investigate and learn more about killer whales to organizations. I'm not a SeaWorld fan. but I've always been fair. I think they need to change. If Blackfish is to prevent the addition of killer whales to this game, let's review all the animals. Elephants are also purely for attracting tourists.

Do you know why captive orca have dropped fins? It's because they aren't kept in sufficient facilities. Being "well-meaning" doesn't actually mean anything. I could rescue a rabbit from a bad breeder but keep it in a tiny cage with no toys, just dry pellets and water, but I'm still mistreating it even if I "meant well".

the other subject. Nobody is against protection. Already I couldn't see anything about protect animal in the game. In the game about protection you only have to realesed the animals to the wild nature. these were already present in Zoo Tycoon. Zoo Tycoon Ultimate Animal Collection was even more detailed to protect animals. You could see the animal you left in the wild on the map. Information from animals you left in the wild. Protecting animals is completely image. sales strategy. because real-world zoos were also criticized. They said all the zoos are trying to protect the animals. but it's all a lie. their purpose is to ensure that they do not harm the sector completely. An animal born and raised in captivity is unlikely to live in the wild. animals usually die. especially large cats. Also, There are also animals that do not need protection in this game. So, what is the purpose of keeping animals that do not need protection in zoos?

You can't call me wrong and then spout this kind of nonsense. The whole purpose of modern zoos is to create insurance, and this is done for several reasons.

I work in a zoo every weekend. This zoo in particular has the most successful captive breeding programme for cheetah in the world. They aren't farming cheetah to keep up appearances - zoos all around the world trade animals to diversify the gene pool. In the wild, the pockets of free cheetah have grown so small that inbreeding is becoming very common, and a common genetic defect is the presence of a spinal kink which has the side effect that cheetah cannot sprint for as long or as quickly, which makes it extremely difficult for them to successfully hunt. The gene pool is too small.

What zoos are doing is ensuring that the captive gene pool remains large, so that if the day comes when cheetah do need to be released back into the wild they won't just be kickstarting inbreeding again.

It's the same for other animals. The palm oil industry is destroying the orangutans for example - zoos don't release orangutans back into the jungle, because that would be stupid. They won't be able to find food or territory and won't be able to find mates because the pockets of wild rainforest are diminishing unbelievably quickly. One day, though, this might be reversed. We can't know for sure - all we can do is try and ensure that if that day ever comes there are still orangutans in the world that could replenish those habitats when they reappear. If you don't understand this basic reasoning for zoos existing then you have no business commenting on the ethics of zoos, and you certainly don't have any business comparing what a zoo does with endangered elephants to what a marine park does putting Shamu on show to the tune of the American National Anthem (I've seen it, I've been there. I was a little kid and I understood that it didn't feel right).

You don't have to put dolphin in park. Anyone can put any animal in this game. And I want dolphins and killer whales. already too much demand. You say you don't want them in the game as if someone forcibly put dolphins in your park. Everything is in your hands, not ours.

This ignores the whole debate. Nobody is saying that you'll be forced to buy it if they make it, what people are arguing is that it shouldn't be made in the first place, and that Frontier probably has the good sense not to do it. What Frontier ought to do is listen to experts (and I'm not referring to myself - I'm far from an expert, just someone "in the know") and make decisions based on that, not on what a few noisy people on the internet want or don't want.

Excuse me if my tone is harsh, but I grow tired of uninformed people claiming intellectual authority over subjects they are so very wrong about. Personally I equate being anti-zoo to being anti-vaxx. It's a mindset rooted in a lack of understanding of what the subject actually does and what it achieves. It's like when people refer to zoos as "animal prisons". Certainly some animals are kept to draw in guests and revenue, because zoos are businesses, but zoos also have to adhere to an extremely rigid code of ethics, and an international community which all works in tandem. The only places in the world where zoos are still considered "prisons" are in places like Russia and China, and even there it's not always terrible (I'm sure there are Russian or Chinese community members here who would jump to their national defence with a few choice examples). Even Japan, renowned for its reverence of its own natural landscapes, has a few pretty terrible zoos.

People need to stop equating aquaria with marine parks as well. It's a false equivalency.

Do you know why captive orca have dropped fins? It's because they aren't kept in sufficient facilities. Being "well-meaning" doesn't actually mean anything. I could rescue a rabbit from a bad breeder but keep it in a tiny cage with no toys, just dry pellets and water, but I'm still mistreating it even if I "meant well".
I think you're talking about why the fins have collapsed? This is a gravity problem. it does not result from any health problems, this is the reason why the back fins of the captive male Orcs are collapsed. because their dorsal fin is longer. In addition, the collagen structure in the fins is changing.
(Sorry for the wrong statements, post changed)

"If you don't understand this basic reasoning for zoos existing then you have no business commenting on the ethics of zoos." You said. Then you too If you do not understand the basic logic of water parks, and you don't know anything at all, then do not comment on water parks ethics.

I will be honest with you. Nowadays there are very few good water parks. There are also bad water parks. but let's not forget that today there are bad zoos.

In 2010, the death of Dawn Brancheau, a trainer at SeaWorld Orlando, focused attention on the entertainment groups’ orca shows. The subsequent release of the documentary Blackfish detailing captive breeding and training at SeaWorld shifted public perception of dolphin and whale shows from entertainment to something akin to enslavement. SeaWorld was particularly slow to respond to concerns and critiques regarding their orca programming, going from a defensive and defiant group unwilling to do more than expand orca enclosures in 2015 to a more conciliatory announcement that they would stop their orca breeding programme and drastically change the format of their shows in 2016. Despite these changes, the company has continued to lose revenue.

Blackfish is a variable documentary for both sides. This has been proven. contains incorrect information.
The controversy surrounding Blackfish has driven environmentally conscious consumers away from one of the most active contributors to marine conservation research in the United States. A recent study by PGAV Destinations shows that millennials perceive zoos and aquariums as integral to conservation goals; visiting these spaces is how they show their support. However, patronage is dependent on a belief that these spaces are properly contributing to conservation and animal welfare. The drop in attendance at SeaWorld shows that many millennial visitors are not convinced that the company is actively engaging in decisions that are both good for the environment and for the animals that they keep in captivity. In essence, the controversy surrounding the orca-breeding programme has eclipsed all of SeaWorld’s previous and current conservation initiatives.

These reluctant visitors might be surprised to learn that SeaWorld plays an integral role in a whole host of marine conservation initiatives throughout the world. As a for-profit endeavour, the company has the ability to provide both space and funding for a wide array of marine research projects. As their profits fall, their inability to perform these much-needed services threatens the wider marine-science community. If consumers and animal activists truthfully care about the health and wellbeing of marine organisms, they should think about planning a visit to SeaWorld.

All three SeaWorld facilities are accredited by the American Association of Zoos and Aquariums. There are many aspects of AZA accreditation, but one big hurdle to certification is the requirement that these institutions contribute large amounts of their operating budget to scientific and conservation initiatives.

One way that SeaWorld contributes to both conservation and basic science initiatives is through the Hubbs-SeaWorld Research Institute. Founded in 1963, the HSWRI partners with federal, academic and other aquatic institutions throughout the world to study marine life. SeaWorld provides both funding and space for research. Their continued support for this endeavour has resulted in an abundance of research on everything from embryological development in fishes to the impact of sound on bird migration and nesting habits.

SeaWorld also funds conservation and science through the SeaWorld and Busch Gardens Conservation Fund. One recent group to receive funding is Rising Tide Conservation, a network of institutions dedicated to increasing the number of aquacultured species available on the market. This is a particularly important conservation goal considering the role that the aquarium industry has had in the depletion of fish species. SeaWorld’s facilities and researchers provide a steady stream of reproductive material with which other labs can work. In 2015, one of Rising Tide Conservation’s lab partners, the Oceanic Institute of Hawaii Pacific University, succeeded in closing the cycle on the yellow tang. Soon after, researchers at the University of Florida’s Tropical Aquaculture Laboratory visited Hawaii to learn the techniques used for yellow tang aquaculture. Funded through Rising Tide and SeaWorld, the Florida lab worked closely with the Hawaii lab to culture the blue tang (also known as the Dory fish, after the movie). The labs proved successful in 2016. To date, the programme has successfully cultured more than 20 species.

In addition to funding, SeaWorld also serves as an important space for animal rescue and rehabilitation. When a large marine animal is stranded, it is not easy to find a space big enough for rehabilitation. SeaWorld is one of only three spaces in Florida capable of housing, rehabilitating and releasing stranded manatees. Meanwhile, SeaWorld San Diego is one of only a few institutions that has successfully rehabilitated and released a whale calf. In 1997, they released JJ, a grey whale calf found stranded at three days old. During this process, SeaWorld invited researchers in the scientific community to study the calf and to work with staff in-house to develop a release plan. SeaWorld San Diego rehabilitates between 100-200 animals each year, and SeaWorld Orlando has more than 30,000 rescues to date. In the event of an animal’s death, in-house necropsies provide DNA and materials, which have been used in marine-disease research.

SeaWorld’s contributions to marine conservation and science give insights into the role of corporations in these endeavours. They have also grown with the fabric of the marine-science network over the past 50 years, and they rely on and contribute to cutting-edge marine science. SeaWorld cannot survive without acknowledging the role that marine science and conservation play, both in the sustainability of their business, and the importance of those aspects to their clientele.

The pressure placed on the company to stop orca-breeding and circus-like shows has shown that consumers have great power, especially when it comes to steering the endeavours of cultural institutions. SeaWorld’s current cetacean management programme looks similar to other major public aquariums. I agree wholeheartedly with the continued efforts of those communities who are working to pressure all marine programmes to treat their cetaceans more respectfully.

But what happens if this pressure sinks the whole ship? As federal budgets for research, and especially conservation research, are threatened, it is time that we acknowledge that corporations have been, and will continue to be, incredibly important for funding these conservation and research efforts. SeaWorld has shown itself to be a partner in a wide range of conservation initiatives. but a killer whale costs a lot of maintenance. so just show them to guests will not be enough to cover their maintenance costs. so there are demonstrations. The only thing I can tell you about the shows. some people say that sea animal shows are the same thing as circuses. The trainers in the circus have hooked sticks or whip. but a killer whale or dolphin trainer never holds these two. you will never see the tricks movements of animals in the circus in the wild. In the wild, an elephant never stands on one leg. but the jumping trick of a killer whale or dolphin is already inherent. they do the movements in the wilderness.

Perhaps it is time to reevaluate your conservation goals, and I hope you understand why I tell you you're wrong.

zoos and aquariums are evolving every day. Ways to keep all animals better in captivity good and better protect them are under investigation.

I'm not against this game or zoos, but people's prejudiced talk about some issues forces me to be against this game and zoos.
Before consulting a specialist, Frontier should visit the water park and see the facts and efforts there.

Last edited:
Because the depth of the tanks is insufficient, the fins collapse due to gravity.

I'm not interested in a discussion or what so ever here because we have been there before. But doesn't this comment you made confirm why having Dolphins and whales in a zoo is bad practice?

I understand what you say, but you are actually confirming whales at Seaworld are kept in to small tanks, and because of that their fins stick out of the water and collapse. (I know a collapsing fin can have more reasons, but according to yourself this is the main reason).

And Seaworld is not a approved facility, Seaworld only has one goal, entertaining people with shows and rides. It's a theme park, it has nothing to do with sealife conservation.

Other than that, I don't understand why you need to be so defensive for Seaworld. Do you work there?

But hey. Bring on that aquatic animal DLC pack with penguins, sea lions, sea otters, and harbor seals!
I agree.

And now I'm gone again from this thread. 👍👋

Last edited:
I'm not interested in a discussion or what so ever here because we have been there before. But doesn't this comment you made confirm why having Dolphins and whales in a zoo is bad practice?
No need to lie. This is not a health problem. I think it's explanatory enough. ("No need to lie" I'm sorry there was a misunderstanding. translation wrong.)
And Seaworld is not a approved facility
I think you're kidding. :D
I'm just laughing at this. Okey, okey, it was probably you who approved all zoos or aquariums. 😂 (y):ROFLMAO:

I speak here based on official documents. How can people say that? interesting. :unsure:
SeaWorld is an AZA approved facility.
What is AZA? here is the answer:

Friends would like to I add that San Diego Zoo is also an AZA approved facility. and the other day Frontier performed a live broadcast with a San Diego employee.

Last edited:
No need to lie. This is not a health problem. I think it's explanatory enough.

I'm not lying. I'm quoting what you said, if it was a lie, it was yours.
I never said it was a health problem.

I think you're kidding. :D
I'm just laughing at this. Okey, okey, it was probably you who approved all zoos or aquariums. 😂 (y):ROFLMAO:

You don't decide these matters. I speak here based on official documents. How can people say that? interesting. :unsure:

I guess we are sharing the laugh.

I see there is a global organisation where Seaworld is attached, so you are right, they are approved.

Last edited:
This discussion has some similarities with the extinct ones.(If you don't want it, don't buy it).

Personally i want the game to stay realistic (as realistic as possible) and in the normal/regular zoos. killer whales/Dolphins are not in them..

I'm in the middle of this one, so not sure:

We do have a marine mammal park in the Netherlands (largest in Europe), but it feels like a completely different game with their own game mechanics.
If you want to do this properly, a new game would fit this more than dlc.

But you also have Loro Parque (Tenerife) which houses Orcas/Dolhpins/birds with regular zoo animals. (mostly Parrots)
So from that POV, you can't say there aren't zoos with Dolphins/Orcas etc.
I'm betting that there are more, but that's the only one that pops up in my mind atm.

I don't have any problems with an aquarium with species, which are housed in most real life zoos.
Same goes with aquatic/semi-aquatic animals, which are present in most zoos.

I'd love to make something like this:
Burgers-Zoo.jpg

diergaarde-blijdorp.jpg

We do have a marine mammal park in the Netherlands (largest in Europe), but it feels like a completely different game with their own game mechanics. If you want to do this properly, a new game would fit this more than dlc.

But you also have Loro Parque (Tenerife) which houses Orcas/Dolhpins/birds with regular zoo animals. (mostly Parrots)
So from that POV, you can't say there aren't zoos with Dolphins/Orcas etc.
I'm betting that there are more, but that's the only one that pops up in my mind atm.

I don't have any problems with an aquarium with species, which are housed in most real life zoos.
Same goes with aquatic/semi-aquatic animals, which are present in most zoos.

I'm with you here, and I've said it before. Having a marine mammal park and/or aquarium feels like a completely different game that would have different mechanics to be done to a strong degree. You would be able to do things way more effectively with some tweaks to the engine (for example, the ability to place "exhibits" could be replaced by placing tanks with customizable length, width, height, and depth and you could add content to the tanks the same way you would habitats in Planet Zoo). And setting up something like those larger tanks would be a blast but you would probably want to do something just a bit different than you have in Planet Zoo...

Too, you could add the ability to "add a building" of a certain size for indoor sections with floors, etc. Actually. Thinking on it. This would be cool for Planet Zoo too. Haha. Having placeable building floor chunks of certain sizes that act as paths (so anywhere inside that isn't blocked by a wall or scenery item is walkable for guests and you can just build walls, etc. around that.

And you could have building pieces developed specifically with this in mind for the interior of the aquairum, tanks, etc. I always get carried away with wat would be cool...

I do think a park like Loro Parque (which looks great!) is the exception to the rule, though. It's not common to see marine mammals like dolphins in a zoo. In the US, sometimes at aquariums, you'll definitely see things like reptiles/amphibians that aren't necessarily fully aquatic, parrots, and sometimes even small monkeys in a rainforest section. But again. This isn't quite so common and feels more like it would be something to be added to an aquairum-specific game rather than the other way around.

I am all in for orcas! Actually it would be like my dream come true, its pretty much the only animal wish I have for planet zoo. Sure, I would be happy about any animal being added, but orcas are the only ones I am really longing for:love:

That said, in real life I am actually against keeping them captive. This February I visited Loro Parque actually. I totally debated myself about if I even should, but it was my first time ever visiting Tenerife and I didnt know (and still dont) when/if I come back again and decided I should give it a try. I watched the orca show twice and the dolphin show once and I found to be rather... sad? Its supposed to be one (or the) of the modernst orca tanks in the world and yet in my opinion was too small. (yes, the orca in my pic is one of the LP Orcas, I am just not sure which - I think its either Adan or Skylar, but I could be totally wrong - if any of you is able to tell them apart please tell me:ROFLMAO:)

However, what if feel for real life is totally different for games. I grew up with the Wildlife Park series (and later found ZT2 awell) and 1-2 had orcas from the start. And I never had problems with placing them. When I found out about WP3 I was actually very excited and then pretty disappointed they didnt have orcas this time. That must have been around 2011 or so and guess what? It wasnt only me who was missing them. I hoped for addons, but they never came until the game came back to life on Steam in late 2017 - with orcas and more:D And there was no backlash I could recall, but true, its not as famous as PZ.
ZT2 I found either before WP3 was a thing or after I was dissapointed with WP3 and actually mostly just used it to play with the marine animals^^ They were really great! While I have to say I would usually prefer WP2 over ZT2, for the marine animals it was the other way around. I kind of hoped the devs from WP and ZT would work together, each take the best parts of their game + updated graphics - but I guess this game is Planet Zoo now🥳

But back to topic, after all this is still a game, and while I do understand some of the points made by those who are against having orcas/dolphins in the game, I still think some are far too serious about it. I am sure Frontier could still make it work in their way. They could add one or2carrier maps where you either had to take over a marine park from an abusive owner and make everything animal friendly and/or a place where you would have to run a resuce to nurse orcas/doplhins back to health and set them free again. Adding some parts how it is actually controversial to keep them in captivity, add educational boards about whaling, overfishing and such.
For the offline modes all marine mammals could bet set as "rescued" (those who you buy, I mean)

I really think it could work that way. Also, I would support the idea of actually making a pack with only cetacean, so that those people who would want to have seals, but no dolphins, could be pleased aswell.

About the fear of Frontier getting any backlash, should they ever decide to add orcas, I think this fear might be a bit exaggerated - sure, there probaly will be complaints, but I dont think anything as serious that it would hurt them. I have no proof of course, but I think it could even become the best selling DLC for Planet Zoo and get many new players in. Some players would be unhappy about it, but it will also make many happy.
And if they really adding them, for those of you who are against it, please then be fair and dont even create any backlash ;)

So I say very selfishly, if you dont want them, dont buy:p Also selfish, but as its true they cant please anyone, I hope they are going to decide to please the one who are willing to buy additional content from them💰 And for a good DLC with orcas I would pay full price, guess I would even pay 10€ for orcas alone😅

And while its rare there are "normal" zoos who keep orcas and/or dolphins, like Loro or the Duisburger Zoo (Dolphins only, there are no orcas in Germany) So its still realistic, which seems to be important for many.

But in the end its up to Frontier to decide if/how they want them in their game. And we will have to accept it. But I will surley wait for orcas until the day they end support for planet zoo or start PZ2^^

Not that I think anybody cares, but those is the animals I would like for a cetacean pack:

Orcas
Common Dolphin
Hector's dolphin
Sotalia
Common bottlenose dolphin
Heaviside's dolphin
Amazon river dolphin
Belugas
Porpoises

Ok, all of them are not very likley to make it in at all - but I would be happy with only orcas aswell😉

Edit: Sorry, just noticed made many mistakes in this one/forgot words and such - I might correct it later, but not now. Hope you will understand it anyways^^

Last edited:
Top Bottom