New BGS states, an observation

I know others here might be more interested in the other aspects of the January update. But reading over the announcement notes I noticed something: pretty much all of these new states are all negative. In fact, most of the faction states are something negative.

Can we have more positivity? Hate to sound sappy or lame, but could we have more positive states perhaps? Something more then Boom and Civil Liberty?

I dont know, maybe like "Fertility" "Scientific Boom" "Cultural Celebration" and so on. Not sure how they'd be implemented but I'll leave that to the BGS gurus.

Just a random "at work" thought.

I know others here might be more interested in the other aspects of the January update. But reading over the announcement notes I noticed something: pretty much all of these new states are all negative. In fact, most of the faction states are something negative.

Can we have more positivity? Hate to sound sappy or lame, but could we have more positive states perhaps? Something more then Boom and Civil Liberty?

I dont know, maybe like "Fertility" "Scientific Boom" "Cultural Celebration" and so on. Not sure how they'd be implemented but I'll leave that to the BGS gurus.

The new states were added because the existing states were too positive. Half the galaxy was in Boom and Civil Liberty. Boring.

If you go off Inara, there's "Technological Leap", "Historic Event" and "Colonisation" scurried away in the code somewhere, but not implemented, so possibly on some Kanban board somewhere XD

Thing is, there's already way too much of an imbalance to positive actions in the game, thus why Famine and Lockdown are virtually non-existent compared to Boom/Inv and Civil Liberty.

These new "negative" states are FD's way of trying to fix that. Not the way I would've done it, but I already had that rant recently.

True, I have noticed that there are lots of Booms and Civil Liberties out there. If you play the cards right you can easily keep a faction/system in a perpetual state of happiness. But I was just thinking of other positive states to break up the boringness of Boom/Civil Liberty. Like "Fertility" would just greatly increase crop production. "Boom" from what I understand is an all encompassing boost to the faction's entire economy as a whole.

More states means more options. Can FD leverage them to create a more vibrant galaxy, with more variation in the systems?

Deleted member 38366

D
Kinda true.... No matter how lonely and unsupported a Faction was - most were either Happy or even Elated for no apparent reason.

I'd say let's see first how all the new Factions States play out before judging them.

Lol yes, though you could have "Population Explosion", that would actually change the number of people living in a system. I've never seen those numbers change, at least in my home system.
They’re fixed. Population doesn’t change.

I live in the tropics. A cold night or two sees a spike in births 9 months later.

More states means more options. Can FD leverage them to create a more vibrant galaxy, with more variation in the systems?

Since Adam Bourke-Waite left the building for greener pastures in November, I think we can be glad to enjoy a working BGS at all. Hope that state machine is not coded in Lua altogether.

O7,
🙃

Already said this elsewhere, but "more vibrant" galaxy implies the states change the galaxy somehow.

These are not fully fleshed states; there are no scenarios, uss or missions based on these new states. If you didn't notice the state icon, the only way you could know these were going on are through the market, if that faction even owns one.

Echoing the last post i made elsewhere, despite my grievances, these are an attempt to rebalance positive/ negative states, but they do not add any immersion/vibrancy to the galaxy, as that requires content to back it.

Already said this elsewhere, but "more vibrant" galaxy implies the states change the galaxy somehow.

These are not fully fleshed states; there are no scenarios, uss or missions based on these new states. If you didn't notice the state icon, the only way you could know these were going on are through the market, if that faction even owns one.

Echoing the last post i made elsewhere, despite my grievances, these are an attempt to rebalance positive/ negative states, but they do not add any immersion/vibrancy to the galaxy, as that requires content to back it.

Its ironic that Frontier give us the Drought state in the middle of a 18-month content drought.

If you go off Inara, there's "Technological Leap", "Historic Event" and "Colonisation" scurried away in the code somewhere, but not implemented, so possibly on some Kanban board somewhere XD
Had you noticed them before recently? I just saw them on eddb, but don't recall seeing them before now, so was wondering if fdev told the devs about upcoming states and there is more positivity in the pipeline.

I could see fdev doing that as a counter to people 'working out' the BGS. "Oh, you understand it, well how about these states!" :D

Had you noticed them before recently? I just saw them on eddb, but don't recall seeing them before now, so was wondering if fdev told the devs about upcoming states and there is more positivity in the pipeline.

I could see fdev doing that as a counter to people 'working out' the BGS. "Oh, you understand it, well how about these states!" :D
They've been there at least a month now... since shortly after Beta dropped.

Here's a comment from Dec 5th I made about it:

Oh... that kind of fertility.

1579089173364.png

It only costs one slave, and then its a boom harvest.

Top Bottom