New Client broken - no Horizons?

try to start "\steamapps\common\Elite Dangerous\Products\elite-dangerous-64\EliteDangerous64.exe"

and after the program closed, try "\steamapps\common\Elite Dangerous\EDLaunch.exe" .. it worked for me.

Steam user, but not a LEP. I'd been having the issue where the shortcut that I've used for years suddenly started popping the launcher with the "Update Required" screen (even though there was no update pending). The above set of steps seems to have resolved this (at least when directly launching the executable. I've not yet tried placing the shortcut to the launcher on the desktop).

The other issue I'm having now, which I never used to have, is that executing the launcher is automatically starting SteamVR and Oculus Home. I've stopped Oculus Home from launching by having it require admin permissions to run, but SteamVR is still starting. I don't even have my Oculus headset or sensors plugged into the computer these days. :-/

Last edited:
Possible issue for Steam users getting the launcher to work but with them being auto-logged in:

Same individual also suggested taking Steam into OFF-LINE mode - that'll also kill the auto-log-in situation.

The http 404 error can be solved by changing "Options -> Select language..." from "Use System Defaults" to "English". Options menu can be accessed by left clicking your email address in right upper corner of the Launcher.

A big thank you to Frontier User #e337c94ade283f7 (unfortunately we can't see forum name or CMDR name in the issue tracker).

The http 404 error can be solved by changing "Options -> Select language..." from "Use System Defaults" to "English". Options menu can be accessed by left clicking your email address in right upper corner of the Launcher.

A big thank you to Frontier User #e337c94ade283f7 (unfortunately we can't see forum name or CMDR name in the issue tracker).
Aand HEY PRESTO! Give that man a hug from me! :)

Well after re-installing the whole thing I still have the Launcher problem, so doesn't fix the problem for some of us.

Since these Steam problems are different from the one that I started the thread about (and which was corrected) - perhaps people would be better served by closing this thread and starting a new one specifically about the Steam issue. What makes it worse is the fact that the current Steam sale is producing new customers, only to have them frustrated and probably binning E D and asking for refunds on Steam.

Since these Steam problems are different from the one that I started the thread about (and which was corrected) - perhaps people would be better served by closing this thread and starting a new one specifically about the Steam issue.

Yeah, report yourself and get it closed!

Ideally fdev would have taken ownership of the issue and opened a proper news thread rather than allowing a proliferation of threads all with conflicting information, but hey, fdev 🤷‍♀️

Yeah, report yourself and get it closed!

Ideally fdev would have taken ownership of the issue and opened a proper news thread rather than allowing a proliferation of threads all with conflicting information, but hey, fdev 🤷‍♀️

Well I was kinda hoping that maybe a mod or staff could cut and paste the Steam issues into a coherent thread. I wouldn't like to ask that the thread be closed whilst people were still hoping for some response in this thread.

Well after re-installing the whole thing I still have the Launcher problem, so doesn't fix the problem for some of us.
I did the re-install on Steam and got the http404 error instead. This is easily solved by doing the language setting swap from default to English as described somewhere above.

Both versions are running as intended for me now. Language adjust on both versions, and re-install on Steam sorted it for me.

Newcomer here,just bought the deluxe edition yesterday. I get the 404 error and the "update required" window too which makes it impossible for me to redeem the keys since I bought the game from steam and not from frontier directly.

Top Bottom