Newcomer / Intro New Comer

Hello all,

After logging 77 hours on ED: Horizons I have to say, wow! Great game, I love every aspect of it. The roles you can play as, the PvE and PvP elements, Wings, Multicrew, Landings, Big Map. There are so many more things I could list.
I have found these threads and topics very helpful in guides and tips for issues or questions I have come across. Starting from my sidewinder I finally go to the much-needed Adder upgrade then onto the Great Cobra Mkiii to now the Asp Explorer. Working for that Python now! I am glad to see such an active community that helps each other and share knowledge. I have the HTC Vive and I found Dr. Kaii's EDprofiler and other settings that has really helped bring this game to such a great immersive experience that everyone needs to try.

I hope FD continues with releasing content that can only help foster and grow a great game! In doing so, I hope the community will grow in companionship to embrace, support, and provide insight to help ED maintain its integrity. I'm sure it will be bumpy but in the end it will be worth it![yesnod]

RIG

i5 6600k 3.5Ghz (non-OC)
ddr4 8gb
msi h170 gaming m3
gtx 1080 gigabyte g1 gaming
win10
23.8" 2560x1440 IPS dell display
kb & m

In closing of this post, I would like to hear YOUR first timer story of rookie mistake or silly event! I'll start:

My first fly through I met the true power of a spaceport's capabilities; I was going through a hanger, leaving a station, and got caught in the mailslot "rails." After a ridiculous amount of time banging that ship around, I ended up ramming a ship trying to get out of there, and proceeded to deploy my hardpoints and fire. That was not fun :x, but looking back it is hilarious. Due to frustrated feelings, I scrapped that save (it was the freebie sidewinder and first run). I have found now that the game wants you to love your ship and to calculate risks before boosting through mailslots! My landings and takeoffs in/out of ports is so much better now!

Have a great day and thank you for reading/replying :D

CMDR ZaCLoNe

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator
Welcome to the community, Commander! Great to see your enthusiasm for the game. It is a great game indeed, hope you'll never get bored of it (1200 hrs and counting here :) ).

Fly safe and may the Space treat you well.

o7

Hello from me, too.
I hope you'll have a blast.

My personal fails? Well, there are too many to keep track. :)
First ones were, of course, closely tied to not being able to pilot the ship. At one point the game was set up so any, even a small, collision meant instant death. That has cost me several Sidewinders and Eagles. At the start, there also wasn't a function that disables boost while landing gear is down. so accidentally boosting into the back of the station was definitely a thing, back then.

Then I started watching Isinona and his FA-off flying and decided that I will learn how to do it. After two months and maybe twenty or thirty rebuys, I did succeed. To this day, I consider mastering this skill my biggest achievement in the game. A real game-changer when comes to the "feel" of the flight.

Then Horizons came and we could land on planets. And some of them have quite a high gravity. That was costly to realize and over come as well.

And then there's fighting itself that can be unpredictable and exciting. My first broken canopy and navigating back to the station without a HUD and with last seconds of air remaining...

All these things lie in front of you to be experienced, figured out, overcome, mastered,...

Fly safe, commander, and good luck. o7

Javert

Volunteer Moderator
Not sure if this is still the case, but in past versions, there was a key bound on your keyboard which would automatically jettison all your cargo into space.

It's a bit embarrassing having to scoop it all up again.

My suggestion - unbind that control completely or put it on a double key combination.

Not sure if this is still the case, but in past versions, there was a key bound on your keyboard which would automatically jettison all your cargo into space.

It's a bit embarrassing having to scoop it all up again.

My suggestion - unbind that control completely or put it on a double key combination.

If nobody have seen you, it didn't happen. ;)

+rootsrat
Thanks! That is a lot of hours and practice!

+Chris Simon
Oh man, that canopy story! I haven't had that happen yet. I can only imagine the thrill from that :eek: And yes, your last sentence, there is always something new to master or explore. I love this feature. Btw I HATE open world games like Fallout or Skyrim or Oblivion just because you get so lost in the map. This game though, it is OK to be lost :D

I haven't quite gotten tired of the jumps yet just because I am in VR and doing a Rare Trade run still (grindy, but want that python). So I haven't had issues from that alt tab although I have seen plenty of users falling victim to damage or death to it!

+Vistitor010100
Ha! Yes that happened a lot because I didn't understand how supercruise worked and I didn't pay attention to that orange ring around the sun. I quickly learned to just pull straight up or down immediately coming out of SC just to avoid that scary crash and melting control panel.

+Javert
Yes there is! I was interdicted by a pirate and he started shooting me and I tried popping my chaff. I forgot that I had remapped my eject cargo nearby and that is what I had hit (can't see kb in VR). Got to a port and was so :mad:. 90 some tons dumped into space and I didn't even know! I made that NPC's day!!!! I have since placed that key so far away onto a completely unused spot on my kb!

If nobody have seen you, it didn't happen. ;)

HA! So true. It is so funny to be in a wing and you see someone lose all shields and health and hear a curse word. It's like, yeah we saw what you did there and we know you were in a station :p I have 2 friends that recently joined as well so we all adjusting to trials of piloting skills by fire.

Welcome from me also - good here innit?

Embarrassing early mistake - well apart from the usual boost button instead of landing gear button (move them apart!) and subsequently bouncing around the station innards until death. ----

Getting stuck behind the girders around the front face of the Coriolis station (not the toast rack, further from the slot than that) by a NPC ramming me during docking - rattling around, watching my shields wear away and then the hull start to lose health. I decided to quit the game because I didn't want to watch the explosions as I died and I was so annoyed I just wanted to get some sleep. - Surprisingly, when I loaded the game again the next day, instead of the insurance screen I had expected, I found myself 10km in front of the station. In effect I had "combat logged" (or "station logged" ;) ) although I had no idea what combat logging was back then (I did wonder if in fact it was a system for keeping track of fights one had been in - wrong!) and I count it as a "death" - it was certainly embarrassing.

Last edited:
Hey welcome to the Forums and Elite :)

I covered my first death in this thread

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...-death-in-ED?p=5323356&viewfull=1#post5323356

But there's oh so much more, stand out one from memory is launching from a platform just as the phone rang - answered the phone, a few mins later (still on the phone) I turned to see the station didn't like that I was hovering over the pad!

Or flying out 12,000 Ly to take a look at the Formidine rift mystery, went to land on a planet for materials but wasn't paying attention as I was playing a pop quiz on the radio. Didn't bother checking the G on the planet and final seconds boosting did nothing to counter the rapidly approaching ground. 20 seconds later I was back at the last station I visited 12,000 Ly away from the wreck of my Conda!

Fly safe commander - hopefully safer than I fly :D

- - - Updated - - -

edit
EVERYONE

Beg,borrow or buy a rift or vive You will thank us it makes ED 50 times better

Well recovered :D

Silly event? Ahhh, so many MANY to choose from.

One I quite enjoy (personally embarassing tho it is) is the time we had a Buckyball Race which included an in-flight refuelling stage (i.e. rather than scoop or buy fuel you had to rendezvous en-route with a teammate who would transfer the fuel you needed to complete the course using fuel transfer limpets). Ed Lewis (Frontier community manager) decided to have a go at it on a Frontier community livestream. As a long time Fuel Rat and Buckyballer I volunteered to be his refuelling buddy. Now this was a race so I figured he needed to be refuelled as FAST as possible. I fitted my ship with 4 class A fuel transfer limpet controllers so I could fill him up faster than a formula 1 pitstop. Anyway, the refuel went absolutely brilliantly except ... as his jumped away to complete the race I realised (and keep in mind I'm a Fuel Rat so pride is at stake here) ... I'd transferred ALL my own fuel to his ship and had to call on the rats to get myself rescued. derp! :p

https://youtu.be/u6FXEvKp-9w?t=1h18m50s

dayrth

Volunteer Moderator
Hello commander and welcome to the game and the forums. I had lots of noob moments (and still do sometimes). Mostly involving docking, such as hitting boost instead of landing gear and trying to dock but not having asked for permission. When Horizons launched I managed to faceplant in to planets quite a lot too.

Assuming you don't mind having a box strapped to your face and seeing low-resolution images ....

I used to use a large HD monitor, but recently acquired a DK2 (so even lower resolution). I'm sticking with the box strapped to my face :) I do highly recommend giving VR a try if you get the chance.

I used to use a large HD monitor, but recently acquired a DK2 (so even lower resolution). I'm sticking with the box strapped to my face :) I do highly recommend giving VR a try if you get the chance.

Yeah another gimp mask VR user here, to be fair I switch between 4k and VR. 4K's more convenient if I'm racing to Colonia or have to actually communicate with other people! :)

It's really impossible to explain to someone who hasn't tried it what all the fuss is about. Happily the OP already has a Vive though.

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator
Assuming you don't mind having a box strapped to your face and seeing low-resolution images ....

They're not low resolution anymore, if you know how to set it up :)

Obviously it's never going to be as sharp as even 1440p screen, but it's sharp enough to stop distracting you. Definitely not "low res" anymore buddy!

Javert

Volunteer Moderator
Silly event? Ahhh, so many MANY to choose from.

One I quite enjoy (personally embarassing tho it is) is the time we had a Buckyball Race which included an in-flight refuelling stage (i.e. rather than scoop or buy fuel you had to rendezvous en-route with a teammate who would transfer the fuel you needed to complete the course using fuel transfer limpets). Ed Lewis (Frontier community manager) decided to have a go at it on a Frontier community livestream. As a long time Fuel Rat and Buckyballer I volunteered to be his refuelling buddy. Now this was a race so I figured he needed to be refuelled as FAST as possible. I fitted my ship with 4 class A fuel transfer limpet controllers so I could fill him up faster than a formula 1 pitstop. Anyway, the refuel went absolutely brilliantly except ... as his jumped away to complete the race I realised (and keep in mind I'm a Fuel Rat so pride is at stake here) ... I'd transferred ALL my own fuel to his ship and had to call on the rats to get myself rescued. derp! :p

https://youtu.be/u6FXEvKp-9w?t=1h18m50s

But you didn't own up on the stream? Well - not as far as I listened so far anyway ;)

Top Bottom