"New Computer Designs Announced"

Personally I need some positivity so I'm all aboard the hype train with this one. I know it's basically pure speculation, but until the (perhaps inevitable) disappointment I'm going to be doing this...

main-qimg-e68ef4d3c9331f2aa18fb942f56b25d1-c

...and you can't stop me.

For what it's worth, Zac successfully stopped me yesterday at 5:23pm. ;)

He confirmed unannounced gameplay for Q4, if you missed that. So I wonder why hype train stopped.
Really? You really want me to unpick this?

1. There was a winking smiley. My tongue was most firmly in my cheek. But if you insist on taking it seriously,

2. The "hype train" was in the context of sneaky "space legs" possibly being the reason for the Galnet article(s) regarding wearable tech. That seems much less likely now, unless the whole announcement on Friday was part of an elaborate misdirection to blow us all away when EVA gameplay drops in Q4. But I will make you a deal: if it turns out that "space legs" form part of the unannounced gameplay for Q4, I will PayPal you £3 towards a paint job.

Everyone just calm down! Why does this have to be about Space Legs? This could just mark some "exciting next steps" so that we can "enjoy the next leg of the journey"

We really need to end speculation as it just leads to dissapointment. Even the stuff FDev say is coming just leads to dissapointment. Just accept the game for what it is now. Any developments are a welcome bonus. I, for one, am not expecting to see anything for at LEAST a year. FDev are announcing a new game later this year. Most of their dev time will be spent on whatever that is, not ED.

What is with kids these days?

Speculation is fun. Goal is not to take it very seriously. Life is too serious to begin with.

Can I just say (as I just said to Eagleboy in a pm) ... despite my claims (based on comments in livestreams) that these Galnet articles are purely in-game fiction, I checked this morning and October 3rd IS a Wednesday so I'm seriously starting to doubt myself now. If I end up looking like an idiot then I'm blaming Ed!

LOL, but if ED has a mobiglass it will be cartoonish like the rest of ED.

I am so glad that FD is screwing us over with everything the way II do, because I finally got sick enough of it to try SC (I was holding off until it is VR compatible) and SC is the most amazing thing, and there are two awesome updates coming very soon, and they will not be disappointments like ED updates.

Fair enough. But you know how people get when they're hopes and dreams are dashed by the realities of commercial necessity. FDev are a publicly owned company. I'm sure there are devs that would love to spend all their time making ED the greatest game of all time but Braben has to answer to shareholders who want capital growth and earnings distributed to them. That's what happens when you float. You lose independence to do what you want.

David said they haven't tapped neither in floating their shares, nor that Chinese company. So while true they have shareholders to respond to, they owe them very little. FD prints their own money and invests their own money.

As I have said before reality is ED team is too small. They need at least 200 people to move forward. I hope that's what David meant they are increasing team size. It might be not easy to do, as we know from practical experience.

@Zieman:
You owe me... well a complete new everything- the cofveve I was drinking was ejected with such strentgh it went all around the world and reached the back of my shirt...

Unfortunately mate that's not how it works. Braben owns 36% of shares in issue. The majority of shares are owned by 3rd parties. They have voting rights and can dispose of directors (ie Braben) if they don't believe he's serving their interests. They don't care about ED, they just want a return on their investment. Saying they owe them little misunderstands how it works. They 'owe' them nothing as it isn't debt. But share holders have a controlling interest in the business and they won't accept decisions being made that aren't directly maximising earnings that can be distributed as a dividend. If allocating resource to, for eg, JWE is going to yield a greater return on their investment that's what he is compelled to do.

This is not American company and share holders doesn't vote or act that way they do in America. Also it seems David has proven his good leadership, considering how they never borrow money and how they can manage on their own.

Also it is strange - people claim space legs and atmospherics can be very lucrative, seeing huge NMS success. FD shareholders should be rushing to David and begging for space legs on ED to sell copies like hot cakes.

I think you haven't realized how backwards this logic is. David has full carte blance regarding ED. Fact it moves so slowy is because team of 100 people aren't enough. Not because ED silently pushes other franchises.

As I have said before reality is ED team is too small. They need at least 200 people to move forward. I hope that's what David meant they are increasing team size. It might be not easy to do, as we know from practical experience.

I agree. Everyone talks about the 100 people as if it is a lot. It isn't, it is actually a very small Dev team. ED could do with having 2-300 people working on it. Look at games such as GTA, The Witcher 3 and so on, they all have far more people working on those projects then what ED has and I have to say it also shows to.

ED is still one of the best games I have played, but it could be so much more. I think they have done a pretty good job with the relatively small team they have. Yes FDev made some bad decision on what to develop and there have been a few turkeys too, but on the whole what they have done has been pretty good. Just not to everyones taste.

Last edited:
Unfortunately mate that's not how it works. Braben owns 36% of shares in issue. The majority of shares are owned by 3rd parties. They have voting rights and can dispose of directors (ie Braben) if they don't believe he's serving their interests.

This is not American company and share holders doesn't vote or act that way they do in America. Also it seems David has proven his good leadership, considering how they never borrow money and how they can manage on their own.

The director holdings of Frontier shares in total is 38.4% which is still over the third party shareholder's totals at 34.3% (https://www.frontier.co.uk/investors/shareholder-information). In the corporate governance page it also says "Being an AIM-listed company Frontier is not required to comply, and has not fully complied, with the UK Corporate Governance Code." which also means Frontier doesn't seem generally subject to the U.S. SEC or part of the american markets. It doesn't say how board decisions are made but I'd bet DB and the directors, whom are still Frontier staff from the looks of it, still have overall control of Frontier over tencent and the other investors which look like hedge funds. (which is nice that it shows confidence in Frontier by outside investors and venture capitalists)

Last edited:
You've misinterpreted this mate. 34% is held by the largest shareholders. There's still another 28% or so held by 3rd parties (be they collective investment schemes etc). There's still almost 2/3 of voting rights held by investors. It doesn't matter whether they list on AIM or LSE. The directors still answer to share-holders and can be voted out at an AGM or EGM. It's not about making management decisions - that's still the management's job - but agency risk is something that is controlled. David Braben is ultimately accountable to share-holders. I do know a bit about this stuff.....

Yep this is true. From what I gather though he and some people close to him own over 50% of the shares, so I doubt it will be a major issue. As the company seems to be doing perfectly fine at the moment financially which is the most important part for most shareholders, then I doubt there will be any issues for the time being.

Really? You really want me to unpick this?

1. There was a winking smiley. My tongue was most firmly in my cheek. But if you insist on taking it seriously,

2. The "hype train" was in the context of sneaky "space legs" possibly being the reason for the Galnet article(s) regarding wearable tech. That seems much less likely now, unless the whole announcement on Friday was part of an elaborate misdirection to blow us all away when EVA gameplay drops in Q4. But I will make you a deal: if it turns out that "space legs" form part of the unannounced gameplay for Q4, I will PayPal you £3 towards a paint job.

I always though that when all your friends and family treat you like crap all day and pretend they forgot its your birthday just so you'd be surprised at the surprise party was a move intended to gratify the people organizing thr party rather than the person the party is for.

Top Bottom