"New Computer Designs Announced"

"Some people close to him"....are you accusing Braben of manipulating the market so that his pals get stock ownership ahead of other participants???

No-one suggested the company wasn't doing ok financially. What I said was the reality is commercial drivers will dictate development and production schedules above loyalty to one (or more) product(s). That's what happens in any publicly owned firm. The directors are accountable to shareholders. ED will be allocated resource as long as it is the most commercially appropriate decision. If not, shareholders will likely challenge the directors.

And so far FD has made most commercially appropriate decisions which include financing of Beyond and next Elite "phase".

I really fail to understand what is this with internet theory about evil shareholders. There are thousands of companies in the world where company leadership is left to do everything they want, because they make SOUND decisions.

Having no shareholders and no responsibility? Yeah, that worked for *cough* that another space game *cough*.

Jumping back on topic now...

As I guessed in my analysis post (https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/445254-A-bit-of-analysis-for-the-next-future)
Duradrive will be a Companion App for smartphones and tablets and the Torc will be a new VR interface with the same functions, since it's not possible to use Companion App in VR. These are the delayed premium content expected for 2018, now postponed to 2019.

Now, if GalNet is purely fantasy stuff...fine!

BUT, if a story takes the wrong direction (speculations started since the very first day) then the story should just stop or follow a lower profile to dampen hype and false expectations. This would be a clear message from FDEV to stop speculations 'cause nothing like that is gonna happen.

Instead, if they author continues to put updates every week in disregard to the community reaction, this becomes teasing and he should just stop that. There are already lots of speculations, I see no benefit to add another one.

Well...ye of course. I don't think I argued against thst did I? I was simply pointing out that people want FDev to allocate resource to developing ED whereas it will be dictated by commercial drivers. That's why the dino game took over this year...and it increased revenues by quite a bit.

Took over exactly what and what way?

You're right though, as long as he's creating value for shareholders he'll be allowed to make decisions as he determines. Just maybe be prepared to accept the most profit driving choice may not be to throw the kitchen sink at ED. I know you weren't suggesting that, but there are some people who seem blissfully unaware that the bottom line is FDev are a listed company who are ultimately motivated by profit.

And they are people who craft theories that FD is this sleazy company which definitely removed staff from ED to do dinosaur game despite the fact that majority of it was done last year when everybody most likely was creating Q1, Q2 and Q3 updates for Beyond.

Jenner

I wish I was English like my hero Tj.
Ehm... aren't you guys a bit off-topic now?

Indeed.
Let's get back on topic, please. That being the galnet article and speculation about its meaning, not FD shareholders, market stuff, and general 'game is doomed/not doomed' circular arguments.

Moment I read this, I thought space legs.

I don't think it makes much sense to have a wearable inside a ship... it can be a UI of the ship controls. A wearable is perfect for outside walking around, however.

The expo referenced is inside the game.

https://community.elitedangerous.com/en/galnet/16-AUG-3304

So, wearable, mixed-reality computing, to be formally announced at an "expo" October. This seems full of potential for what might happen after the end of Beyond. Also, what gaming conventions or Expos are there in October? I can't think of any.

dayrth

Volunteer Moderator
Jumping back on topic now...

As I guessed in my analysis post (https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/445254-A-bit-of-analysis-for-the-next-future)
Duradrive will be a Companion App for smartphones and tablets and the Torc will be a new VR interface with the same functions, since it's not possible to use Companion App in VR. These are the delayed premium content expected for 2018, now postponed to 2019.

Now, if GalNet is purely fantasy stuff...fine!

BUT, if a story takes the wrong direction (speculations started since the very first day) then the story should just stop or follow a lower profile to dampen hype and false expectations. This would be a clear message from FDEV to stop speculations 'cause nothing like that is gonna happen.

Instead, if they author continues to put updates every week in disregard to the community reaction, this becomes teasing and he should just stop that. There are already lots of speculations, I see no benefit to add another one.
I REALLY hope this is the case. Not only does it point to the possibility of space legs, but also suggests it will have VR support as well :D

Aaaaand we have another article

Maddox Hurd, owner of Herculean Machines, has publicly dismissed the efforts of rival company Supratech. Both companies are currently developing new computer designs.

Mr Hurd referred directly to Supratech’s forthcoming product, the Torc, while addressing the media:

“There’s a reason Herculean has never explored the concept of wearable devices – it’s a ridiculous idea! I bet a million credits that those fragile gizmos will break, or their holograms will start glitching, the moment you turn them on.”

“If you want a reliable piece of tech, you need the Duradrive. Believe me, our device will keep on working whatever you throw at it…and even if you throw it.”

When invited to comment, Supratech CEO Scorpio DeVorrow responded:

“It’s regrettable that those with a clear vision of the future are often denigrated by individuals of limited imagination. We offer an elegant and revolutionary approach to personal computing – not just a rubber brick with a screen. I’m sure customers will make the intelligent choice.”

Prototypes for both the Torc and the Duradrive will be unveiled at the Rackham Ultratech Expo on Wednesday the 3rd of October.

https://community.elitedangerous.com/en/galnet/uid/5b890f687860f93af637c767

You know what FD? If this is just a fluff, you will deserve some burn from me too :D

Aaaaand we have another article

https://community.elitedangerous.com/en/galnet/uid/5b890f687860f93af637c767

You know what FD? If this is just a fluff, you will deserve some burn from me too :D

“There’s a reason Herculean has never explored the concept of wearable devices – it’s a ridiculous idea! I bet a million credits that those fragile gizmos will break, or their holograms will start glitching, the moment you turn them on.

It gives the impression they are talking about another game :D

Holographic projectors to wear on the wrist? Tablets?

I don't know about you guys but I smell spacelegs.

I think this three.

Perhaps something like this

capture2.jpg

https://elitedangerous2016.files.wordpress.com/2016/06/capture2.jpg?w=702

mc6D2Ys_d.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/mc6D2Ys_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

I always though that when all your friends and family treat you like crap all day and pretend they forgot its your birthday just so you'd be surprised at the surprise party was a move intended to gratify the people organizing thr party rather than the person the party is for.
True. In the case of FD I doubt very much they'd pull such a move, but they did once stun everyone with airless planetary landings which I don't think many people saw coming either. Of course its a much more information- and speculation-rich environment these days, so if they wanted to recapture that shock-and-awe moment they'd have to be a bit economical with the truth in the lead-up. It would be one hell of a gamble. And to be fair to Eagleboy his trust in FD has rarely wavered, unlike many of us who are all over the map. So if it turns out he's right I'll be happy to bung him a few quid as a reward for keeping the faith.

My guess would be that Space Legs are the super secret thing that just started active development, but that the new interfaces disclosed here will show up as the super secret Q4 addition they’re not talking about without said space legs. Zac’s post mentioned that Q4 has been adjusted to begin laying the groundwork for the next era of Elite, and I can see that groundwork in part involving a movement of new features (such as the codex) onto the new interface. It might make sense to start putting things on the interface now rather than rearranging everything later when space legs finally arrives.

My guess would be that Space Legs are the super secret thing that just started active development, but that the new interfaces disclosed here will show up as the super secret Q4 addition they’re not talking about without said space legs. Zac’s post mentioned that Q4 has been adjusted to begin laying the groundwork for the next era of Elite, and I can see that groundwork in part involving a movement of new features (such as the codex) onto the new interface. It might make sense to start putting things on the interface now rather than rearranging everything later when space legs finally arrives.

Have they mentionned a super secret addition to Chapter 4?

Considering that people use VR quite a lot, putting in some tech that works really well with it would make a lot of sense.

Have they mentionned a super secret addition to Chapter 4?

I was thinking of this part of Zac’s post:

“During this process, we have made a decision to adjust the focus of content that were previously planned for the Chapter Four update, adding some significant new gameplay, but it also means some other aspects will have to change.”

I read it to mean there was something significant they hadn’t mentioned previously, but I could be misreading it.

Last edited:
I had posted in the Suggestions forums, and copied to one of the orange names, that Space Legs could be rolled out incrementally.

Going from a Pure Social only type module, allowing things like walking around stations and socialize only, then develop individual player mechanics, like walking around your ship, fixing things, etc, then player interactable (multiplayer) type game play, fixing other players ships, cargo transfers, shooting at each other etc.

Unlike Star Citizen, Fdev doesnt need to have all complete version of a feature like SC does. SC is setting the bar very high for themselves, when people would be happy with a feature that's not as a complete or at the very least doesnt look at eye popping.

If they, as in Fdev have a road map for a similar incremental introduction to Space legs, I'd be down for that. But if that's the case, I wish they were alot more transparent about it.

Top Bottom