News New Elite Dangerous Trailer unveiled at E3

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Impressive trailer. I think some of us backers need to realise that we aren't the target audience for this. We've already bought into the game, the trailer is to wow the gaming journalists and media and all those people that either haven't heard of the game or haven't been following it closely.

Sure we'd have liked a reveal of some of the other ships and stations, but we know what FD are like. Remember how long it took them to show us the Cobra? If it hadn't been mentioned in the kickstarter I'm pretty certain that Ashley would have tried to convince us that it wasn't going to be in ED.;)

Well said. Personally OMG WOW! If i wasn't part of PB i would be after seeing this trailer.

This is a tremendously exciting clip. Some of it is straight from the game, and some is specially rendered, but the reason I find that exciting is because you can barely see the seams. If you go back and look at the preliminary artwork from 12 months ago, what we have now is close to that and it will probably get closer. The vision for this game is very strong and the devs don't seem to be showing off anything they will not be able to deliver. With every bit of new content, peeks and trailers I see I'm more than ever convinced that FD will do everything they can to deliver on all the promises for this game, and then some. Well done guys, colour me impressed.

Seeing things like the landing gear/cargo scoop readouts was nice but they were an obvious omission anyway and arguably should have been there from the get-go. I'm hoping there's a bit more to the latest version than a few UI tweaks, graphical flourishes and the like.

wasnt beta 1 mostly about getting netcode improved and stability,

those things you cant show in an add, but ultimately if they are fixed would be way bigger imo than simply having a new ship, station and star system.

get the foundations right and everything else will come into place.....

has it been confirmed that those people were simply edited in? I hoped they were just part of the next public build which we have not seen yet.

Tbh, people looked like edited in only in one scene, rest of it rather convincingly showed NPC avatars. However, they could be thrown it just to give sense of scale. It would make sense to have them in game though.

A really elitist trailer, well done FD :)

My favourites were the 'living' hangar (much better than the actual preta) and all the different detail views you don't notice during normal piloting. With all these camera angles...how about giving a cinematic sand box to the backers? I bet Neon Raven and others would use it to flood the net with impressive ED-movies...hm, movie...let's think about that :)

Last edited:
Tbh, people looked like edited in only in one scene, rest of it rather convincingly showed NPC avatars. However, they could be thrown it just to give sense of scale. It would make sense to have them in game though.
Little peoples were likely added to make the space station scenes feel more alive and organic. It was a small addition but does lots more for the scene than having a static ship model parked up.

A very nice trailer. I like that they're never showing more than what's already in the game or at least a very safe bet that it will make it.

I noticed the coriolis is rotating too fast in the first scene. Apparently that Eagle was too slow for their likes. ;)

has it been confirmed that those people were simply edited in? I hoped they were just part of the next public build which we have not seen yet.

Just an assumption on my part, but it would be great if the hangers had little people wandering around in the next build.

Just an assumption on my part, but it would be great if the hangers had little people wandering around in the next build.

I think they were especially added to add scale for the video. They seem to be 3D models though since you can see the same models walking (with the same animation) in several shoots from different angels. I'm sure this will be in the final game, but this is "fluff" and I rather have them focusing on getting the core mechanics in place before doing this level of polish...but who, knows. Maybe the animators actually have time over to do these things at this stage of development? Not entirely impossible I guess.

Am I the only one who first read "chase your own tail"?
I was really tired yesterday evening when I first saw it...
:eek:

Now the caveat. Advertising with CG is easier than delivering the same excitement in a game. I would like to hear from FD about how much of that was currently in-engine and how they can translate the feel of the promo to game-play. The people milling around the landing pad in the Coriolis were off the hook!

Man-crush on DB and Frontier.

Nuff-said.

Well, I don't know how to break it to you but...
that's all in game, no CG...

Yep, it's THAT good.

Near the end of the video, we see the ships jump into hyperspace. It's a brilliant effect - you really get the impression of mind numbing acceleration, they're off to the vanishing point in the blink of an eye.

I really think this video is top notch, I hope people are absolutely blown away by it at e3. They ought to be.

Very impressive trailer. Was there any post processing done, other than titles and wipes etc. to the footage or was it all in-game?

Man-crush on DB and Frontier.

Nuff-said.

"Man-crush" is what I first thought of when there were little people scurrying around in the docking area. I want to land my Cobra on... THAT guy!

"Remember, walking across the hangar on a RED signal is an offence punishable by death. Walk the Federal way... the Right way..."

<splat>

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom