New Elite Rankings to pursue

Need more elite ranks to chase. Once you hit triple elite (combat, explore, trade), doing some of these activities loses its fun.

Additionally once you've hit Elite rank in all areas (or individually), you should be able to reset and chase the titles again. Have some reward for doing so, and have the game track number of times you've reset. (earn an emblem, paint job, bobble head etc...)

Other rankings to pursue:
  • Rescue - earned by turning in escape pods, using limpets to refuel/repair ships, transporting refugees from damaged stations, specific rescue mission types
  • Discoverer - earned by being first to discover/map stellar objects, discovering new geo and bio objects/codex activity
  • Loyalty - earned by participating in power play activities
  • Tourist - earned by completing passenger missions and scanning tourist beacons

Need more elite ranks to chase. Once you hit triple elite (combat, explore, trade), doing some of these activities loses its fun.

Additionally once you've hit Elite rank in all areas (or individually), you should be able to reset and chase the titles again. Have some reward for doing so, and have the game track number of times you've reset. (earn an emblem, paint job, bobble head etc...)

Other rankings to pursue:
  • Rescue - earned by turning in escape pods, using limpets to refuel/repair ships, transporting refugees from damaged stations, specific rescue mission types
  • Discoverer - earned by being first to discover/map stellar objects, discovering new geo and bio objects/codex activity
  • Loyalty - earned by participating in power play activities
  • Tourist - earned by completing passenger missions and scanning tourist beacons

What about a system similar to notoriety but for other skills. Like if you spend more time doing rescues you gain S&R rep -- though it might diminish over time.
Loyalty - Might gain positive version of notoriety with the power
Trader -I would also add this to the list. I think that simply making X amount of dollars should be separate from providing necessary or wanted goods to certain factions/stations/systems/populations idk.
Tourist - Yea 100 lol. Just running the same passengers from A to Z over and over should not provide the same reward (though we can debate what a good reward is I just dont think it should be the SAME) as running passengers all over the Galaxy exploring scientific spots or beautiful vistas.

Benefits could include price discounts
quicker response time of security forces in certain systems (or for loyalty maybe less response time from other warring powers?)
Unlock additional passenger missions
Unlock additional trader missions
(on these previous two I can run assassination missions and build up rep then take allied passenger missions? idk or just dump and bunch of LTD on them. -- I think there should be passenger missions you unlock by doing passenger missions and trade missions unlocked by trade missions. it already exists to some extent.)

Well, as you've pointed out we could also include ;-

Mining (See other post)
Piracy

as well

Yea I would also like to see more motivation and reward for flying under the radar / anarchist lifestyle. Like outposts with no NFZ and pirates. you might even need notoriety to land their unmolested. They could almost use the current notoriety system for that. -- at these stations you might be able to pay someone off to take your bounties at like 50% of the cost. idk just a thought.

Mining! Agreed as long as it is not based on the CASH $$$ but based on meeting station needs. So when you give a refinery the materials they want it boosts your mining notoriety.

What about a system similar to notoriety but for other skills. Like if you spend more time doing rescues you gain S&R rep -- though it might diminish over time.

While I can see that working, no ranks should diminish over time, that's the sort of thing that mobile games do to get you to play continuously, people would have to grind endlessly to maintain rank even when they didn't feel like playing and that would be a terrible idea and burn people out, we don't need an extra grind thank you very much.

I am a fan of an ocean of achievements with corresponding decals, paints, ship kit parts, weapon and exhaust modifications, displayable titles as rewards. This is extremely low hanging fruit as a mechanic in any mmo, and provides grind goals anyone can work toward in their areas of interest.

Fashion and basking is a legitimate motivating factor in these games, leaving it on the table it missing a huge opportunity for the devs. Arguing against muh emmmmeeersion with respect to fashion doesn't hold water. Just look around at RW clothing, cars, homes, home decorations, phones etc. etc. We are hard wired to flaunt and covet.

Why not use the FOMO as a mechanic?

Now that you have seen all that the game has to offer,how about dropping the less fun bits and playing whatever is left?

While I can see that working, no ranks should diminish over time, that's the sort of thing that mobile games do to get you to play continuously, people would have to grind endlessly to maintain rank even when they didn't feel like playing and that would be a terrible idea and burn people out, we don't need an extra grind thank you very much.

Federation rank diminishes
Notoriety diminishes.
Why wouldn't your 'knownness' for a particular skill? I mean I guess there could be ranked plateaus like after you hit a certain rank you wouldn't go under. But making it diminishing means you can make it easier to obtain (the 'normal' way, not the farm crash your ship into the planet and re-log 100000 times way, cause we all know that is boring anyways) -- If it is easier to obtain it is easier to experience.

Also literally the op is asking for a new grind. That is 100% what the thread is about.

I really like the OP idea of additional rankings.

Perhaps with no upper limit of achievement. A player can always increase their level of fame or infamy for a particular skill or activity.

Notoriety diminishes.
Why wouldn't your 'knownness' for a particular skill?

Lots of people IRL maintain their "rank" in history for their particular skills, even over long periods of time. And for both famous and infamous deeds. Even after they are dead.

To Varonica's point, forcing players to keep playing to maintain a rank sucks.

IMO rank at an activity should diminish if you perform an "opposite" to that activity. So your rank as an evil pirate diminishes only when good deeds are performed like rescuing people.

Instead of insulting me with your response, you could rather counter why clearing your save is not acceptable as a furtherance of your enjoyment of the game.

Whilst there is virtually no possibility of F D creating other "rankings" (welcome as that would be) there is nothing to stop you clearing your save and seeking to either enjoy the progress in the game again or perhaps of following a different play-style.

Last edited:
I really like the OP idea of additional rankings.

Perhaps with no upper limit of achievement. A player can always increase their level of fame or infamy for a particular skill or activity.

Lots of people IRL maintain their "rank" in history for their particular skills, even over long periods of time. And for both famous and infamous deeds. Even after they are dead.

To Varonica's point, forcing players to keep playing to maintain a rank sucks.

IMO rank at an activity should diminish if you perform an "opposite" to that activity. So your rank as an evil pirate diminishes only when good deeds are performed like rescuing people.

I wasn't necessarily comparing it to real life. But as I said there could be plateaus. I was more concerned with play-ability and the other half of the players who would post about 'just another grind'

I like the idea of no upper limit though.

Also I am pretty sure it works with plateaus in real life too. The thing that is hot today might not always be hot. But the guy who has many number 1's might be a top 10 candidate always. -- Plateaus.

Notoriety diminishes.

I don't do federation ranks or any others like that so diminishing ranks don't affect me, but even if I had a desire to acquire them I probably wouldn't due to the diminishng rank mechanic. Notoriety isn't a rank, it's a game mechanic used for an entirely different purpose, so two entirely different things, although strangely enough I have never had any notoriety either.

It really looks like you are reaching for anything you can to support your argument if you try tp draw a semblance between federation rank and notoriety as part of it.

Top Bottom