New Era in Unreal Engine or Cobra Engine?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Would you prefer to have the Elite Dangerous New Era in the current Cobra Engine or pay a bit more (5% - 10%) and have the game in Unreal Engine?

Not going to happen. Long term plan was said to be to market Cobra to third party devs. The cost and time lost of shifting the whole dev team from Cobra to a third party engine I can imagine being horrendous. Then there would be the additional cost of the licensing. ED's problems are a product of the networking model (peer to peer) and trying to allow for a wide range of specs to play the game and not the engine.

Cobra is amazing have you seen planet coaster? The graphics in that are well above average. Jurassic world evolution they made the lighting worse but what’s amazing is how much detail they can add from zooming in from top down while keeping performance.

Cobra is pretty impressive... if you don’t like the screen tinting in elite that was just a stupid decision.

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
Cobra is amazing have you seen planet coaster? The graphics in that are well above average. Jurassic world evolution they made the lighting worse but what’s amazing is how much detail they can add from zooming in from top down while keeping performance.

Cobra is pretty impressive... if you don’t like the screen tinting in elite that was just a stupid decision.
... and Planet Zoo looks even better, in my opinion.

... and Planet Zoo looks even better, in my opinion.

Yeah i haven't been blown away by planet zoo hence reserving the mention.. but it should be the same as planet coaster and we've seen only a few things from it so far i don't expect anything less than awesome ;)

EDIT: I think they've just chosen warmer colors to be like stereotypical imagery of africa and india etc.. while very extremely fitting for the zoo theme doesn't send your jaw to the floor with the photorealistic lighting in planet coaster... so far anyway.

Last edited:
Graphic quality was never an issue in ED. The only exception is the single light source limitation, but that alone doesn't justify a engine change.
ED and Cobra don't have a limitation with that, or it's the same limitations that other game engines have.

Cobra already works with multiple light sources such as ship/SRV lights, ground station/base lights and the local major light source. Is when you include more then one major light source, then add it to all the minor ones and it becomes a serious performance hog.

I would hazard a guess that all game engines would have issues.

On topic: The Unreal Engine doesn't have a toolkit for the generation of an entire galaxy and its star systems. You would end up with integrating parts of the Cobra Engine in the Unreal Engine which is kind of pointless. It would probably have less performance and even more bugs. I don't even know if the Unreal Engine is capable of realising space with the required size.

It depends, when do you want the New Era? 2020 with Cobra, or 2021 with Unreal + BUY ARX in your face due to Frontier paying Epic 15%?
If in 2020 there won't be any atmospheric planet I don't care waiting one more year. The only thing I want in the game is atmospheric planet.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom