New FSS Feedback thread - Good and Bad

Deleted member 182079

D
Just played around with the FSS for a little, LOVE IT.

SC stutter is gone, so is the microstutter in the FSS itself - I notice a couple of dropped frames that only happens with landable planets to some extent (eventually it stops) when zooming in, but it's no issue for me and something I can get used to.

The time it takes for planets with sites to resolve seems to depend on the number of them on said planet. Just had a few with less than 5 sites, they pretty much resolved instantly. Those with 50 odd take longer (makes sense really); the approach mentioned previously in this thread about speeding up the process by going through the sysmap seemed to work for me also.

Everything is more snazzy, and smoother (including opening and navigating the system map). Also like the way sites (including Thargoid related) are now showing in the side panel in the system detail view.

Motivation to go on an exploration trip further afield has increased.

I can't speak for the rest of you, but this is a "feature" I know I never wanted. The whole "wait 10 seconds" was never a problem for me. I guess it's because I'm not a "speed explorer", who has to get there first and have the entire galaxy mapped by the end of a Saturday afternoon. I was glad to see the little snip in the patch notes that those of us not facing our impending demise can continue to wait out the scan and get actual counts, though I've not yet bothered to update the game, between having something else to do and knowing that new updates always have new patches to follow.

I've been out on my own exploration expedition for over a year now, knowing new actual content is a ways off, so what a better way to spend my time?

As for VR... I use an Avegant Glyph, when I feel like it. I don't care much for full-face geek goggles, like the Oculus, so I don't use one - it's only so cool and the novelty wears off soon enough. For me, that was circa 1995, with Virtuality's 1000SD game Battlesphere. It was the greatest thing ever for about 4 days.

Now, you get Elite running on:

An Avegant Light Field, and I'll be all in, 110%. Hades, I'd even PvP with that.
Some of us are "speed explorers" by necessity, only having so many hours per week available for stick time. The added FSS wait time would be a problem for such players, but I think it's offset by the availability of the data in the Sysmap. I'm just bummed about the extra step now of accessing the sysmap, which I had previously employed tools to avoid, but have to admit it may in fact be faster in comparison to re-scanning every body with an extended scan time, especially now with the addition of the probability indicators. We'll see, I suppose.

Did you hear that lave radio show? They were so diplomatic... Seems to me more and more players have become thoroughly sick of the FSS and even the influencers are having trouble defending it. Taking the ADS away was just stupid, it served no purpose other than to make a few people leave.
Did ... did you just say the lave radio guys don't hate the FSS so they obviously agree with you and hate the FSS?

What exactly have i claimed to hear?
Well whatever you were going on about in this post:

Did you hear that lave radio show? They were so diplomatic... Seems to me more and more players have become thoroughly sick of the FSS and even the influencers are having trouble defending it. Taking the ADS away was just stupid, it served no purpose other than to make a few people leave.
So you tell us, what did you hear that made you create the post?

Some of us are "speed explorers" by necessity, only having so many hours per week available for stick time. The added FSS wait time would be a problem for such players, but I think it's offset by the availability of the data in the Sysmap. I'm just bummed about the extra step now of accessing the sysmap, which I had previously employed tools to avoid, but have to admit it may in fact be faster in comparison to re-scanning every body with an extended scan time, especially now with the addition of the probability indicators. We'll see, I suppose.

I've spent almost an hour writing and rewriting this, trying to phrase this in the best possible way, and in no way is this any kind of personal attack, so please don't take it that way. I simply have to ask:

How is this problem anything but your problem, and why should those of us who do have the time pay a price for your problem? Would you petition the Imperial Soccer League or whatever they're called to shorten the game to two 15 minute periods, with a 5-minute half-time break, simply because you don't have time to watch a full 90 minute match? Would you feel bad when they told you "Frell No."?

Because that's what this reads as to me - "I don't have time to play the game, so make the game play faster for me."

I've always loved the Civilization series of games, but rarely have time to play a full game, because a single game can easily take me 100 hours to play. That's one of the things I've always loved about them - but I haven't had time to play, so my last game remains far from finished. I love to pilot my boat too, and would be well on my way to navigating The Great Loop - if I had the time. But I have only so many vacation days, and can only do so much work remotely, so my work prevents me from having the time to make such a cruise, and they're not going to give me a leave of absence (and more importantly, pay me, to sail around the eastern US for six months).

This is 100% My Problem, every bit as much as how much time you get to play Elite is 100% your problem.

Am I way off base here? Am I just over-simplifying things? Am I missing something vital? And again, this is completely not personal in any way - you're just the person making the statement:
Some of us are "speed explorers" by necessity, only having so many hours per week available for stick time.
so that makes you the one I have to ask this of.

That said, I'm not about to start a 100 page complaint thread about how I don't want this change either. I'll adapt to it easily enough. I just want to know.

How is this problem anything but your problem, and why should those of us who do have the time pay a price for your problem?
Because that's what this reads as to me - "I don't have time to play the game, so make the game play faster for me."

You are slightly incorrect, CMDR, in stating that this is only my problem. The issue is not that I want the game to play faster, but that small added delays to repetitive game mechanics necessary to my preferred style of play, shared by a significant portion of the ED community, have cumulative effects that significantly impact the amount I am able to accomplish in the time I have available to spend in-game.

Previously, FSS scanning of bio/geo bodies could complete in the background while I performed other tasks, and I could return to bodies of interest upon their completion in an efficient manner. Now I must spend that time waiting for each scan to complete in turn, drastically increasing the FSS scan time of each system and allowing me to scan a fraction of the systems I previously could in the same amount of time.

I'm not sure what price you perceive yourself to pay with keeping the background process FSS, so I don't see how I'm asking anyone to pay any price for the sake of my preference. I'm simply stating how the FSS changes have negatively impacted my particular style of play. It doesn't seem that the old FSS was an issue for anyone, frankly, since I'm sure that the "efficient" system of scanning I described was in wide use, so this new scanning method seems to benefit no one while causing a significant reduction in gameplay for everyone, whether you have the time/patience to wait out each scan or not, since scanning can no longer be conducted in an efficient manner.

Having said all that, the implementation of the probability "hints" has resulted (for me) in such a drastic improvement in scan times (since I only care for Bio signals, eliminating the necessity to return to all but a tiny fraction of "long scan" bodies) that the FSS scan time is almost irrelevant. Also, the addition of location information to the system map has eliminated the need for me to keep track of which bodies to visit, saving me even more time. But imagine the impact upon those searching for Geo signals, which can populate significant percentages of system bodies, who now have to spend exponentially more time waiting for scans to resolve, resulting in inversely proportionate accomplishment per gaming session.

I really appreciate your effort towards neutrality in your post, and hope I've achieved the same.

EDIT: In an attempt to make the argument more practical, imagine a similar increase in production times on mining or achieving goals in Power Play. Come to think of it, the reaction to the mining "nerf" is plain to see, and has the same impact on mining as the FSS delay does to exploration; you can achieve the same thing, it's just going to take a lot longer. The vocal response to the mining change is due to the impact on credit balances, but I don't care about credits. I care about discovering things, which a much less tangible reward but no less fulfilling to explorers.

Further EDIT:
Would you petition the Imperial Soccer League or whatever they're called to shorten the game to two 15 minute periods, with a 5-minute half-time break, simply because you don't have time to watch a full 90 minute match? Would you feel bad when they told you "Frell No."?

I've always loved the Civilization series of games, but rarely have time to play a full game, because a single game can easily take me 100 hours to play. That's one of the things I've always loved about them - but I haven't had time to play, so my last game remains far from finished. I love to pilot my boat too, and would be well on my way to navigating The Great Loop - if I had the time. But I have only so many vacation days, and can only do so much work remotely, so my work prevents me from having the time to make such a cruise, and they're not going to give me a leave of absence (and more importantly, pay me, to sail around the eastern US for six months).
Even more practically, Would Soccer fans petition the league if they allowed an additional 10 seconds for every commercial? Would you be disheartened if it took you 1000 hours to achieve the same thing in Civ? Would you complain to management if your employer cut your vacation time per year by 20%? I think these are comparable to what FDev has done to changing the FSS so that it no longer scans in the background, and more akin to my complaint about it.

P.S. I hope you don't mind: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/january-update-patch-one.535498/post-8247521

Last edited:
You are slightly incorrect, CMDR, in stating that this is only my problem. The issue is not that I want the game to play faster, but that small added delays to repetitive game mechanics necessary to my preferred style of play, shared by a significant portion of the ED community, have cumulative effects that significantly impact the amount I am able to accomplish in the time I have available to spend in-game.

Previously, FSS scanning of bio/geo bodies could complete in the background while I performed other tasks, and I could return to bodies of interest upon their completion in an efficient manner. Now I must spend that time waiting for each scan to complete in turn, drastically increasing the FSS scan time of each system and allowing me to scan a fraction of the systems I previously could in the same amount of time.

I'm not sure what price you perceive yourself to pay with keeping the background process FSS, so I don't see how I'm asking anyone to pay any price for the sake of my preference. I'm simply stating how the FSS changes have negatively impacted my particular style of play. It doesn't seem that the old FSS was an issue for anyone, frankly, since I'm sure that the "efficient" system of scanning I described was in wide use, so this new scanning method seems to benefit no one while causing a significant reduction in gameplay for everyone, whether you have the time/patience to wait out each scan or not, since scanning can no longer be conducted in an efficient manner.

Having said all that, the implementation of the probability "hints" has resulted (for me) in such a drastic improvement in scan times (since I only care for Bio signals, eliminating the necessity to return to all but a tiny fraction of "long scan" bodies) that the FSS scan time is almost irrelevant. Also, the addition of location information to the system map has eliminated the need for me to keep track of which bodies to visit, saving me even more time. But imagine the impact upon those searching for Geo signals, which can populate significant percentages of system bodies, who now have to spend exponentially more time waiting for scans to resolve, resulting in inversely proportionate accomplishment per gaming session.

I really appreciate your effort towards neutrality in your post, and hope I've achieved the same.

You have, and I do understand your point and perspective, and I hope mine does not sound like the ravings of a lunatic. I did have a chance to delve into this during the beta, and provided a good deal of feedback regarding it, as well as concerns, many of which I see have been addressed in the ability to continue to scan out a particular body to resolve a numeric count. I have not yet been able to put to the test and verify that a result of "Incredibly Possible" still yields some numeric count of POI's, but that part is on me, as I've been occupied with Other Things. (My No Time To Play).

Regarding this FSS change since the January update. I'd rather have the old system, to be completely honest. I understand that this might not be possible, but if you could include a player setting so us old-timers can just carry on the way we were happily carrying on b4 all this January update malarkey, it'd be mightily appreciated :)🖖

Whilst I like the new UI of the January update I don't like that scans for POI's in the FSS don't carry on in the background whereas before that happened. We now have to wait whilst the scan finishes before moving on to the next body in the system and now takes longer to fully scan a system.

Taimaru, hi!
If you check system map, you'll see that the scans are in background still, but I feel they're slow, and I had a perfect way of doing what I wanted to do in a system b4 January, same like Baxder but for different reasons.

EDIT: In an attempt to make the argument more practical, imagine a similar increase in production times on mining or achieving goals in Power Play. Come to think of it, the reaction to the mining "nerf" is plain to see, and has the same impact on mining as the FSS delay does to exploration; you can achieve the same thing, it's just going to take a lot longer. The vocal response to the mining change is due to the impact on credit balances, but I don't care about credits. I care about discovering things, which a much less tangible reward but no less fulfilling to explorers.

Further EDIT:

Even more practically, Would Soccer fans petition the league if they allowed an additional 10 seconds for every commercial? Would you be disheartened if it took you 1000 hours to achieve the same thing in Civ? Would you complain to management if your employer cut your vacation time per year by 20%? I think these are comparable to what FDev has done to changing the FSS so that it no longer scans in the background, and more akin to my complaint about it.

P.S. I hope you don't mind: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/january-update-patch-one.535498/post-8247521
Why do people who want Geo sites have to wait. Surely they can use the likelyhood as well. For me there have been no false positives even for the unlikely ones.

Nobody needs to wait unless for some bizarre reason they need to know the exact amount of Geo POI there are on the planet/moon.

Bizarre. Hmm, like the satisfaction (pre-January Update) of knowing what bodies are likely to have geo, 'cos one knows the patterns, and can, when encountered, zoom-in then back out, and keep a running tally of several such needing to be gone back to, while finishing off the ones nearby that are not likely to have geo (moons farther out from a gas giant, or the parent moon of a moonmoon, etc). And to be able to do this with very small delay.
Oh, and knowing that's all been logged to EDSM so it's not just a self-centred effort to make money :)
I can't do that now, and it's screwing with my OCD.
I can't do that now, and I'm losing the will to explore :(

Top Bottom