New FSS Feedback thread - Good and Bad

I don't think so as the scanning is not done in the background anymore. Either DSS or wait for the FSS, but I need to test it when I get home.

Im in a system now and zoomed in out quick on the bodies, completed system, went to system map and in about 3 seconds all geo and bio sites were resolved for all bodies.

Granted there was only 6 landables with volcanism so i'll test more but its not like its gone back to 20 seconds per body like it was?

And I'll certainly take that over 5 - 10 seconds of stuttering upon entering every system with landables.

Im in a system now and zoomed in out quick on the bodies, completed system, went to system map and in about 3 seconds all geo and bio sites were resolved for all bodies.

Granted there was only 6 landables with volcanism so i'll test more but its not like its gone back to 20 seconds per body like it was?

And I'll certainly take that over 5 - 10 seconds of stuttering in every system with landables.
Then I don't see the point in adding the unlikely, likely or very likely. That kind of ruins the point of it all. Might as well get rid of and leave it as it was. Seems like a massive waste of time.

Last edited:
That's perfect. Exactly how I wanted it to be. Either use the very slightly but quick risky method or wait for the full proof method.

The choice is yours.

No that's not how it should be, it should be the same as before for people who want to full details and the guesswork method for others. Your desire to punish us for having better hardware is unbecoming.

Then I don't see the point in adding the unlikely, likely or very likely. That kind of ruins the point of it all. Might as well get rid of and leave it as it is. Seems like a massive waste of time.

It does seem pointless given the speed of the resolution in the system map that ive seen so far, I'd like to try a system with a very large number of landables before I stick my flag in this particular hill tho.

Tested it in more detail myself, zoom in on body noted it had geo, zoomed out and waited a full sixty seconds, zoomed back in and still had to sit there waiting for it to resolve, so it doesn't appear to be processing in the background.

Tested it in more detail myself, zoom in on body noted it had geo, zoomed out and waited a full sixty seconds, zoomed back in and still had to sit there waiting for it to resolve, so it doesn't appear to be processing in the background.

Do the zoom in out super quick and go to the system map - is it not resolving quickly for u there?

No that's not how it should be, it should be the same as before for people who want to full details and the guesswork method for others. Your desire to punish us for having better hardware is unbecoming.
But that destroys the whole new method of having unlikely, likely and very likely. That becomes completely pointless if it's going to resolve anyway.

It may indeed resolve in the background once you exit the FSS and enter the system map, but I prefer to see the results while I am still in the FSS so I can note what planets I want to go to and maybe mark one of them for targetting.

It was only ever between seven and ten seconds for me, but now zooming out stops the processing in the FSS, so if you want to see the results in the FSS yes you have to wait the full time for every body.

And I'll certainly take that over 5 - 10 seconds of stuttering upon entering every system with landables.

The stuttering was minor enough for me I would prefer that over the new system now it's working as "intended".

Do the zoom in out super quick and go to the system map - is it not resolving quickly for u there?

But I want to see the results while in the FSS, not exit the FSS to resolve then, that defeats the entire point of the FSS, to see which bodies to further investigate. If I exit the FSS and go to the system map to resolve I then have to again check every body to see which ones have interesting features.

It may indeed resolve in the background once you exit the FSS and enter the system map, but I prefer to see the results while I am still in the FSS so I can note what planets I want to go to and maybe mark one of them for targetting.

The stuttering was minor enough for me I would prefer that over the new system now it's working as "intended".

There is nothing stopping u from looking at the system map and marking them for targetting. Also, unless u are scanning all the bodies, you wont know which one is potentially the most fruitful. Its far easier to see what they all have on the system map, than it is individually, one by one.

the stuttering made the game unplayable for those in VR, and made deep space exploration deeply unpleseant, I don't think it's a fair trade off for having to just click on system map?

My understanding was the probability wasn't so much a wanted game mechanic, but rather a fix around for not having instaresolvement of the sites.

The probability method was introduced as a quick result for people whose hardware slowed down the scanning to unacceptable lengths of time, and unbearable stuttering as they resolved if they tried to zoom out and scan while it resolved in the background. The stuttering was caused by the background resolution, so they have disabled background resolution of scanned bodies which now means you must spend extra time on every body to get a full resolution in the FSS.

The probability method was introduced as a quick result for people whose hardware slowed down the scanning to unacceptable lengths of time, and unbearable stuttering as they resolved if they tried to zoom out and scan while it resolved in the background. The stuttering was caused by the background resolution, so they have disabled background resolution of scanned bodies which now means you must spend extra time on every body to get a full resolution in the FSS.

In my issue tracker there were people with high end hardware reporting the same issue as older hardware.

The stuttering was not tied to how new your pc was.

Deleted member 182079

D
"For me" being the key word. It certainly was not minor for me, it followed me into Obisidian Orbital in Maia (a system I previously scanned before), if FD kept it the way it was it would certainly put me off playing.

There is nothing stopping u from looking at the system map and marking them for targetting. Also, unless u are scanning all the bodies, you wont know which one is potentially the most fruitful. Its far easier to see what they all have on the system map, than it is individually, one by one.

That's the entire point of the FSS, to analyse the system, I don't want to exit the FSS to check what bodies have interesting sites, that's just a poor workaround for a system that's now broken. Just because you like doing it that way doesn't mean we all have to, the FSS is the analysis tool, not the system map. And yes, I do scan all the bodies, every one, yes I do, don't we all? And I have a good memory, I already know which bodies have interesting sites before exiting the FSS. Why would I can the system for interesting bodies using the FSS , then exit the FSS and enter the system map to see which bodies have interesting sites? I should already know that from the results of the FSS!

"For me" being the key word. It certainly was not minor for me, it followed me into Obisidian Orbital in Maia (a system I previously scanned before), if FD kept it the way it was it would certainly put me off playing.

In my issue tracker there was 6 pages of CMDRs with all levels of hardware all reporting same thing. I know from the comments on various threads, including this one, that for those in VR it was even worse.

In my issue tracker there were people with high end hardware reporting the same issue as older hardware.

The stuttering was not tied to how new your pc was.

No, it was also tied to how you had it set up, if you had decent new high end hardware and had it set up properly the stuttering was virtually unnoticable.

That's the entire point of the FSS, to analyse the system, I don't want to exit the FSS to check what bodies have interesting sites, that's just a poor workaround for a system that's now broken. Just because you like doing it that way doesn't mean we all have to, the FSS is the analysis tool, not the system map. And yes, I do scan all the bodies, every one, yes I do, don't we all? And I have a good memory, I already know which bodies have interesting sites before exiting the FSS. Why would I can the system for interesting bodies using the FSS , then exit the FSS and enter the system map to see which bodies have interesting sites? I should already know that from the results of the FSS!

So you dont like changing your procedure for doing something so loads of people should just put up with major stuttering and unplayable VR.

Gotcha.

Top Bottom