New FSS Feedback thread - Good and Bad

It certainly wasn't in the beta! Instead we had tabbing data that took longer to guess then move tabs than my PC could do a normal resolve!
Now I get FPS drop to around 100 from 130 (4K resolution) for a 10 or so seconds and everything gets resolved... not exactly what was expected šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø
I wonder what the point of the beta is if it's not going to have the same problems as the live game? another concern of mine if PC is the only platform with open beta how do we pre address console-specific glitches and bugs?

I wonder what the point of the beta is if it's not going to have the same problems as the live game? another concern of mine if PC is the only platform with open beta how do we pre address console-specific glitches and bugs?
It is the consoles who are 'poorer relations' in this - (at least on the PC we have the opportunity to test 'fixes' - even if the 'fixed' release is broken or has 'new features' added) as they have the 'fixed' code which may be 'worse' than the code it replaced and no rollback. Blame, of course, goes to Microsoft & Sony as they appear to not allow beta testing, allegedly... /s

I'm seeing the occasional stutter upon System entry as well but only in Systems already discovered by someone, plus multiple Bodies with Geologicals need to be present.

It vanishes quite quickly for me and upon FSS'ing me the Body Details I frequently see precise Data on Geological Planets already (again, only in pre-explored Systems).
(looks like a number of them is being resolved in explored Systems upon System entry, which I personally like; it was a suggestion of mine to begin being computed during the Hyperjump already. Others noted however that Players with weak GPUs might see too many downsides and experience prolonged unstable FPS. I assume this is what happens basically.)

With the solid working of the new FSS probabilities and optional full resolution of any selected Body, there may be more downsides than benefit of this process, especially when GPU power is limited and in Systems with plenty of Geological Bodies.

Other than that, I really like the new instant display of relevant Body Info in the FSS, that helps accelerating things very nicely - plus the solution of resolving the Data to attain precise Info a short while later is very elegant :)
Don't get me wrong - I like the the new system, just needs bug fixing - just hit a system with 30 bodies mostly with bio on too - took 6 mins for all planets to resolve and then no stutter.

Further update: If you want to test this you need to go to a system you have not been to before and you will experience it if there are Landable bodies. I thought that if I mapped the planet then it would remember. However this is not the case, the 'instant landable generation' happens every time you enter the system, even if you surface map everything.

I've updated the OP and Made allowance for NON VR stutter which apparently is not so bad?

It is the consoles who are 'poorer relations' in this - (at least on the PC we have the opportunity to test 'fixes' - even if the 'fixed' release is broken or has 'new features' added) as they have the 'fixed' code which may be 'worse' than the code it replaced and no rollback. Blame, of course, goes to Microsoft & Sony as they appear to not allow beta testing, allegedly... /s
Thats what they all say šŸ˜‰

The problem is the system was changed due to feedback from the beta testers, the changes weren't then tested in a second beta before being implemented in live, so the problems weren't picked up in beta because they weren't tested in beta.

I've got stuttering all over the place. Even at Jameson, which I have visited over and over previously. It's pretty bad, and doesn't seem to be related to having visited the system before.

I've updated the issue on the tracker with my info, and voted on it.

Last edited:
of course they did but in typical frontier fashion they weren't told what they were supposed to do they were just given the beta
That's untrue. We were given specific areas to focus on, and the FSS changes were one of them. However the new FSS feature gained a lot of negative feedback. This caused Frontier to extensively redesign it. That there may be new bugs from this new code is entirely unsurprising. They could have given us a new beta instead of releasing the code with only QA testing, but people would have screamed.

QA should have found this bug, but there aren't many new issues reported so far. We're a lot better off than we were in September.

That's untrue. We were given specific areas to focus on, and the FSS changes were one of them. However the new FSS feature gained a lot of negative feedback. This caused Frontier to extensively redesign it. That there may be new bugs from this new code is entirely unsurprising. They could have given us a new beta instead of releasing the code with only QA testing, but people would have screamed.

QA should have found this bug, but there aren't many new issues reported so far. We're a lot better off than we were in September.
It's not really "testing", it's more like a "preview of upcoming changes"...
I'm actually kind of shocked that they DID make changes based on feedback.
I was being facetious. It seems we have a bunch of Drax in the forum today. You people dont get sarcasm or what?

So basically in other words beta testing is pointless ASF

A single beta test is pointless in my view and why the whole we need betas open letter was a waste of time and energy. After initial beta errors are corrected, what should follow is a 2nd beta confirm the fixes and test for regression, that could be many cycles...how long does everyone want to wait for an update

A single beta test is pointless in my view and why the whole we need betas open letter was a waste of time and energy. After initial beta errors are corrected, what should follow is a 2nd beta confirm the fixes and test for regression, that could be many cycles...how long does everyone want to wait for an update
Until last month, max

This is one of the reasons I proposed a second beta session before release: both to test the fixes to the bugs found in the initial beta test phase and to test the new implementation of mechanisms that undoubtedly where "invented" after the first beta session was finished. I think that one of the most fundamental rules of beta testing is that features are frozen and only bugs are fixed. If this change was initiated to rework the behavior of the FSS after people complained about the way it worked in the beta, it should have been postponed until the next bug fixing release and its Beta test and the original mechanism (which was tested in the beta) should have been left in place.

Maybe for the next bug fix release FDEV might consider a beta and a gamma test session? With the gamma test only leading to bug fixes for issues found there and no new implementations of mechanisms?

Just a suggestion.......

Last edited:
Good thing there was that open letter to ā€œforceā€ FDev to spend resources on a public beta so there wouldnā€™t be issues like the stuttering. Oh wait...

Top Bottom