New FSS Feedback thread - Good and Bad

Hey OP, have you reported this on the Issue Tracker? If not, please do and the team can investigate! https://issues.frontierstore.net/issue-detail/11894
This is probably the same thing that happens every single patch when people predicably rush the servers to try it out, and Frontier refuses to increase AWS server capacity so they are overwhelmed by the increased server traffic causing massive lag spikes in SC.

The problem is always "solved" by enough people immediately getting sick to death of the lag and insta rage quitting, yet again. Until the game is again back to being a ghost town with sufficiently low server load. Then the handful of remaining lifers celebrate Frontier "fixed" the game. Rinse repeat.

This is probably the same thing that happens every single patch when people predicably rush the servers to try it out, and Frontier refuses to increase AWS server capacity so they are overwhelmed by the increased server traffic causing massive lag spikes in SC.

The problem is always "solved" by enough people immediately getting sick to death of the lag and insta rage quitting, yet again. Until the game is again back to being a ghost town with sufficiently low server load. Then the handful of remaining lifers celebrate Frontier "fixed" the game. Rinse repeat.
Truth can be salty or sweet, but lies are always bitter.

So what's your secret?

monster cpu/gpu? it's a processing bottleneck. they now try to pre-calculate everything as to improve perceived response when it's requested, but probably forgot to adjust process priority and now the precalcs hog everything down.

Just adding my voice to the crowd, I had not seen this thread before posting this:

I'm getting regular (every second or so) jerky frame rates again (intermittently, I'm not instanced with any other players and my CPU isn't maxed out (~43%). I had just jumped into a system with the latest example & was travelling around the star (it was red on the scanner) to go to a nav beacon.

When this happened before it was typically related to travelling past bodies I had previously mapped that had geological features, so this seems to be the same behaviour happening much closer to my entry into a system rather than only if I travel past a problem body.

All of this is anecdotal of course, but the overall experience does feel like it's taken a hit.

I think a re-think on how 'accurate' the procedural generation of Geo sites are may be worth considering if it is to continue having this detrimental an effect on normal play.

Truth can be salty or sweet, but lies are always bitter.
The truth will reveal itself when the server population drops tomorrow (or by the end of the day) and the lag persists or magically disappears (as usual).

I know this effect personally because my previous typical play times were at the exact moment of the day that Frontier reduces their diurnal AWS server capacity, causing a host of performance and multiplayer instancing/wing issues. Like clockwork.

Since I do not need Horizons at the moment I switched to Elite Dangerous. No stutter. Of course not. There are no landable planets to resolve.

I considered the same but I have planetary missions to complete. Fingers crossed patch1 will put that heavy CPU workload somewhere less disruptive.

In that case you have no other choice. I am OTH scanning a whole D-mass sector atm. This stutter would make me nuts.

I always assumed they lazy loaded the planets when they were needed, minus basic metadata about what actually exists on the planet. I wonder what the intended benefit was of loading them all up front when you first get into a system.

So what's your secret?
With a sufficient frame rate the stutters are only noticable on the FPS counter display - mine is 130+ in space, 300+ in the FSS screen and around 80 in a station. Landing this afternoon FPS in Robardin Rock was hovering around 60 :(
In VR, of course, the frame drops are very noticable!

I always assumed they lazy loaded the planets when they were needed, minus basic metadata about what actually exists on the planet. I wonder what the intended benefit was of loading them all up front when you first get into a system.

they did. That was the origin of the long delay in FSS when scanning a planet that had geo sites to get the number of sites. This bypasses that by pre-generating it all but the process is hogging the CPU/GPU.

Just adding my voice to the crowd, I had not seen this thread before posting this:

I think a re-think on how 'accurate' the procedural generation of Geo sites are may be worth considering if it is to continue having this detrimental an effect on normal play.
I think it's bug with the geo/bio location. They seem to be generating them for the whole system on system entry instead of when you get close to a planet or look at it in the FSS.

It's hopefully an easy fix as the fix for PC is coming tomorrow.

Top Bottom