New Gforce drivers support Elite Odyssey!

I use Geforce Now to play, meaning I play having the game streamed to me from Nvidia data centers... so we'll see if performance is better.

...if they bothered updating their own servers that is :rolleyes:

Edit: might be placebo but it DOES feel a bit smoother, especially in problem areas like disembarking in settlements and loading the galaxy/system map. The true test however will be those annoying mining settlements that have like 10 laser drills and 4 landing pads, the ultimate fps killer.

Last edited:
If you were already not getting playable framerates, a new driver will not make a massive difference in EDO. The issue continues to lie in the game engine itself.

Most recent

NVIDIA GeForce Game Ready 471.41 WHQL​

If you were already not getting playable framerates, a new driver will not make a massive difference in EDO. The issue continues to lie in the game engine itself.
Agreed.

The recommended GeForce settings actually increased the graphics levels higher than what I had set them to for optimal performance. So the game runs slower under the GeForce 'Optimised' settings.

Basically, there's a huge gap between what Nvidia thinks my card should be capable of, and what my card is actually capable of in Odyssey.

At best you will only get minor improvements here and there until Frontier seriously optimise their game engine.

First impression: (n)
Tried SS 1.5 in concourse: massive frame drop below 30 (was 40 something before).
Also docking at a Coriolis station saw some stuttering while still at a steady 60 FPS (with SS 1.0).
That's with a RTX 3070.
Personally, I've never found updating drivers to increase framerates but of course it really depends on your setup and your graphics card. In your case it might because your card is new-ish. If anything, I've found updating them just introduces new issues but I think the older the graphics card you have the less benefit you will get. I read an interesting post on the nVidia forum that said you should never update your drivers on a gaming laptop as the ones provided by the manufacturer are optimised for the best performance. I don't know how true that is in reality though. Always worth testing it out for yourself and see which works the best.

EDIT: Just had to add, as others have mentioned I don't think Odyssey is in a great state at the moment to make proper judgement on which drivers are going to work best for you in the long term. Might be worth trying on some other games and coming back to testing Odyssey again in a few weeks / months / years (I sincerely hope it's not years but lets wait and see).

Last edited:
Is Geforce Experience that has been added with EDO.

I do not personally install Geforce Experience, just a waste of resource and it does nothing other than setting games the same way it can be done while in game.

Nope. It still doesn't work, maybe because my installation of the game is using a custom path*, but the result is still the same as before: Geforce Experience is still unable to "optimise" the game. If I look at the various points it wants to update, the only difference to my current setup is shadow quality that it wants update to ultra. It's obviously unable to correctly reading out my current settings for shadow, as it shows a minus here where in fact both shadow quality settings (directional and spot) are already on ultra. Or in other words: Geforce Experience is the same useless crap as before. Whatever the new drivers want to improve for EDO, it's certainly no update to Geforce experience.

* should not be an issue, as it already knows the correct path

The specifications of the computers with problems are sometimes well above the minimum requirements. How is a driver supposed to solve these problems? Graphically much more demanding games run smoothly. We are not talking about values of 10 FPS but performance losses of greater than 50%.

The specifications of the computers with problems are sometimes well above the minimum requirements. How is a driver supposed to solve these problems? Graphically much more demanding games run smoothly. We are not talking about values of 10 FPS but performance losses of greater than 50%.
Glad to see at least a FEW sensible people around here. What boggles my mind is how people with cards like 3070s all the way up to 3090s are saying they are getting "good" framerates when they are only hitting 60fps at 1080p or 1440p, when in reality these cards should be DEMOLISHING this game even at 4K. If I had a 3090 I would be expecting 120fps minimum at all times even at 4K in EDO, especially since FDev still seems to think a 1060 6GB is enough for recommended spec.

Heck, I only have a 1070 Ti, and I can run Death Stranding at Max settings at 1080p and still get on average more than 100fps, and yet the last time I played EDO I couldn't get more than 70 most of the time even when turning everything right down to their lowest settings.

I shouldn't need to tell you how much more visually advanced Death Stranding is compared to EDO. And PLEASE don't give me that "Elite is rendering entire star systems" shtick; a game with proper culling would never have you rendering the entire game world actively at all times.

Top Bottom