New Gforce drivers support Elite Odyssey!

I go from around 200fps in space, to frequent stuttering at some settlements (not all settlements, just some) down into the 20’s/30’s running at 1080p without V-Sync.

I have not yet tried an on foot CZ.

This is on a 3060.

have you tried something like your native resolution with SS at 0.75/0.85, spot shadow to medium and projected shadow to Ultra. AMD Fidelity CAS somewhere between half and 75ish% ?

I also keep bloom and motion blur off (cause i don't like them in any game)

On Nvidia CP, unless you are running a 244hz panel, i suggest you to limit the framerate to the one that your screen support, those 200 fps in space are useless and make your card running like a car at full speed, downhill and with highest gear on. Set Power mode of your card to Performance for ED, as well as threaded optimization to on.

Also the tweak in this thread can make quite a difference inside concourses and settlement, i suggest you to give it a try. Is easier done than it looks and def worth the try.

have you tried something like your native resolution with SS at 0.75/0.85, spot shadow to medium and projected shadow to Ultra. AMD Fidelity CAS somewhere between half and 75ish% ?

I also keep bloom and motion blur off (cause i don't like them in any game)

On Nvidia CP, unless you are running a 244hz panel, i suggest you to limit the framerate to the one that your screen support, those 200 fps in space are useless and make your card running like a car at full speed, downhill and with highest gear on. Set Power mode of your card to Performance for ED, as well as threaded optimization to on.

Also the tweak in this thread can make quite a difference inside concourses and settlement, i suggest you to give it a try. Is easier done than it looks and def worth the try.

Thanks for the pointers there, yeah, I’m not finished with setting it all up currently, trying to find the sweet spot, once performance has been optimised, I think it will be worth tweaking and fine tuning the game at that point.

I think my SS is about 1.0 &
AMD Fidelity CAS is 75% ish. My monitor is super tiny and horrible clarity, the SS has helped incredibly with that (will be upgrading my monitor in the future, I’m doing this PC bit by bit).

I use Geforce Experience to stream Elite and other games to my television through a Raspberry Pi 3 using the 2080. Works pretty darn good. The latency isn't good enough to do twitch based games like counter strike or street fighter v, but works perfect for a lazy game of Elite. I imagine that with this new update, I'll be able to select Elite instead of using some work around to just use the desktop.

Version 471.11 already had EDO recommended specs. I'd been having intermittent graphics problems before installing that driver, but using their specs fixed all. With my 1660 Super I now get 120fps ave everywhere except on planet surfaces, where I get about 65 (I'm out in the black, so no station/settlement experience yet). The game is quite playable for me. However GPU usage is way high when landed, even doing nothing - because game is not optimised. Until that's done, everything we do is just band-aiding.

First impression: (n)
Tried SS 1.5 in concourse: massive frame drop below 30 (was 40 something before).
Also docking at a Coriolis station saw some stuttering while still at a steady 60 FPS (with SS 1.0).
That's with a RTX 3070.

update:

In the meantime, this stuttering no longer occurred (in fact, it only happened once). I also had a shocking moment in the Galaxy Map where my FPS went down into single digits. I was on the verge of blaming the new drivers at first, but after re-logging everything was fine again. Now all is well, just like before (but it was already pretty good, with a constant 60 fps). I'm using VSync, which limits my fps to 60, the native refresh rate of my monitor, to prevent the GPU from overheating. So I can't say whether the new driver is actually an improvement or not. But I'm glad to hear that it seems to have turned things to the better for some.

All in all, second and third impression: (y)

Next I'm going to check concourse with SS 1.5 again, just out of curiosity. Not going to use it permanently anyway...

geeforce expirience is bloatware.
Im sick of people saying "my fps is fine" while they dont engage in new settlements,the whole focus of odyssey.
Yeah, the first few days of EDO was fun when people were saying their performance was fine, but when asked to specify, they admitted that they were only playing in space and not on planets. It still happens

Its not your cards or drivers - its the game - i’m just about to get delivered an NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 12GB Card but i don't expect any decent fps from the ODD part.
3070 here and I used to occasionally get the one digit framerate also.
Spend a full weekend checking... Every time the framerate is plummeting for too long I got CTDs...
All in rock bodies, with rocky terrains and a lot of rocks around the station.

Comparing the same type of settlement, same kind of mission, on icy bodies the framerate is a lot better and more stable (and has usually less rocks) ...
There is definitely something wrong in the game about this...

Agreed.

The recommended GeForce settings actually increased the graphics levels higher than what I had set them to for optimal performance. So the game runs slower under the GeForce 'Optimised' settings.

Basically, there's a huge gap between what Nvidia thinks my card should be capable of, and what my card is actually capable of in Odyssey.

At best you will only get minor improvements here and there until Frontier seriously optimise their game engine.
Geforce Experience is garbage.

sweet.gif

3070 here and I used to occasionally get the one digit framerate also.
Spend a full weekend checking... Every time the framerate is plummeting for too long I got CTDs...
All in rock bodies, with rocky terrains and a lot of rocks around the station.

Comparing the same type of settlement, same kind of mission, on icy bodies the framerate is a lot better and more stable (and has usually less rocks) ...
There is definitely something wrong in the game about this...

I also get CTDs, which fortunately are relatively rare, but definitely more frequent than in Horizons and completely random. Sometimes even when booting up the game. The framerate, on the other hand, is usually as good as it can be with my 60 fps limitation due to VSync (depending on the refresh rate of my monitor). But that was also the case with the previous driver (RTX 3070 here too).

I found that using SMAA help about 5fps - better gain from changing screen resolution from 1920x 1080 (at 60pfs) to 1600x900 and superscaling by 1.25.
Fps in station concourse from 35 to 45 fps...

Just downloaded and installed, no results yet. If and what exactly these drivers will improve is yet to be seen. Only for RTX card owners I guess.
It's the first time I see Elite mentioned at all with an Nvidia driver update. Checking out now...
Only thing that this driver supports is configuration of game settings for GeForce Exeprience's Optimal Settings. That's like... nothing really.

Only thing that this driver supports is configuration of game settings for GeForce Exeprience's Optimal Settings. That's like... nothing really.

And even that doesn't work for me (and already stopped working a long time ago). I even contacted Nvidia about it some time ago, but never got an answer. So if this was really meant as an update to GeForce Experience, then it was a total washout. For me at least, because absolutely nothing has changed in this regard.

not optimised in mine, horizons or ED:O refuses to registry game optimization.
I find optimisation says it doesn't take in the GeForce Experience panel, but some of it bleeds through to the game anyway. Either way, the game doesn't run well when "optimised". That's likely an issue with the game itself though.

:D S

Next I'm going to check concourse with SS 1.5 again, just out of curiosity. Not going to use it permanently anyway...

Here's another update.

I tried SS 1.5 again in a concourse. This time it ran much better: now fluctuates between 40 and 60 (video follows, I'm waiting for HD processing). Acceptable now, but only if you're not used to stable 60 fps (feels sluggish). Whatever it was in my first test (below 20 fps), it can hardly have been the new driver.

Off topic: I also found the switch to turn off the stupid voice overs in the concourse. Yak, I can't stress enough how much I hate repetitive voice overs. After listening to the same 5 or 6 voices 50 times, all I want to do is get rid of them as soon as possible. I just have to remember to turn them back on in settlements where it's probably not such a good idea to accidentally miss a scan (aka "wait Commander").

update:
As promised, here the test in concourse with SS 1.5:

Source: https://youtu.be/1cyuylIYznY

Last edited:
Top Bottom