Community Event / Creation New Horizons & Distant Suns (an explorers journey)

Hello commanders!
The time has come for this pilot to retire his battered old Sidewinder mining rig and take command of the newly launched Long Range Cobra Mk III.
A golden era of exploration is beginning - will you be part of it?

New Horizons
An explorers video blog of his journey beyond the frontier.

Part 1
[video=youtube;9FKv4U1uhZc]
]Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FKv4U1uhZc[/video]

Mission brief...

"Welcome aboard the DSS 'Shackleton Explorer', Commander"
"Your assignment is to travel to the frontier's Antliae Sector, attempt to cross the Vela Molecular Ridge, and travel along the Orion spur, eventually making the first human survey of the Eta Carina Nebula".

Good luck!

The Vela Molecular Ridge:

x9agxiI.png

Last edited:
Excellent video - can't wait to see more of your series

(You should get yourself on Twitter too, to share your finds and if you tweet @EliteDangerous today some of your video could make it in to the montage being shown at the Premier Event)

Last edited:
Well done Erimus! Very good visual storytelling.

Thanks!

Excellent video - can't wait to see more of your series

(You should get yourself on Twitter too, to share your finds and if you tweet @EliteDangerous today some of your video could make it in to the montage being shown at the Premier Event)

Cheers Titus. I just sent my first ever tweet (I never used it before today lol). Maybe a bit late in the day for Frontier to use some of it, but you never know. :)

Progress Update:

I have reached the fringes of the Vela Molecular Ridge... HD 72648 (3,000 LYs from Sol).

uPew0Vr.png

Last edited:
video question:
How do you get the external views?

general galaxy map question:
can you enter common names like canis majoris or sirius to find these places? how about constellations like sagittarius for example?

Last edited:
Deeply enjoying these vids on youtube :) Love the editing and choice of music too. As I said in one comment VY is huge but a bit dissapointing as its visually 'just' a big star, sure that star is a billion km from end to end (if not more) but you'd expect so huge a star, one thats also dying to also be throwing off lots of dust and gas, creating a veil round it as it edges closer and closer towards going super or hyper nova. I can't wait to see where you take us next :)

video question:
How do you get the external views?

general galaxy map question:
can you enter common names like canis majoris or sirius to find these places? how about constellations like sagittarius for example?

External shots are a bit of camera trickery ;) Basically just me in a sidewinder filming other ships through the canopy roof.
Yes you can enter common names into the galactic map and you can find most of them.

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

Part Four - Reaching HD 72648 on the fringe of the Vela Molecular Ridge

[video=youtube;lHH5gDpjmXU]
]Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHH5gDpjmXU[/video]

Last edited:
woo :) New vid, that star was AMAZING, the blue/white one. Beautiful system as well :) I must ask though what is the Vela Molecular ridge? Only thing I could find was in Italian :s

Deeply enjoying these vids on youtube :) Love the editing and choice of music too. As I said in one comment VY is huge but a bit dissapointing as its visually 'just' a big star, sure that star is a billion km from end to end (if not more) but you'd expect so huge a star, one thats also dying to also be throwing off lots of dust and gas, creating a veil round it as it edges closer and closer towards going super or hyper nova. I can't wait to see where you take us next :)

Maybe the environments haven't been fully finished yet. I think there is still a long way to go yet before elite is fully finished. I'm sure there's a lot more content in solar systems to come :)

Thanks for making these vids! Even though I can't watch them right now, I don't want to spoil my own exploration :D
Going to watch them all once I have the full game and have seen some sights myself.

Lovely vids as always, but again the nebula was a bit dissapointing, I guess i'm use to seeing them in the false light of pictures we see on Hubble, you'd not be able to tell you was in it in game.

Lovely vids as always, but again the nebula was a bit disappointing, I guess I'm use to seeing them in the false light of pictures we see on Hubble, you'd not be able to tell you was in it in game.

Yeah it was a bit of a let down. Much more impressive from the outside looking at it, but once inside it it was so diffuse you couldn't tell whether you were inside it or not. The Horsehead nebula looks far more impressive from the game screenshots I've seen. I'm not sure if all the nebulae are finished yet or if FDEV are leaving them how they are now. I think they could have done with being a bit more sci-fi than science for the games sake and to make them more attractive to visit.

I've enjoyed watching your videos. I like the mood you've set. They just get me itching to get started exploring the galaxy.

Cheers!

Top Bottom