Community Event / Creation New Horizons & Distant Suns (an explorers journey)

Yeah it was a bit of a let down. Much more impressive from the outside looking at it, but once inside it it was so diffuse you couldn't tell whether you were inside it or not. The Horsehead nebula looks far more impressive from the game screenshots I've seen. I'm not sure if all the nebulae are finished yet or if FDEV are leaving them how they are now. I think they could have done with being a bit more sci-fi than science for the games sake and to make them more attractive to visit.

Some nebula look a lot better: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=69599&p=1156316

So I hope that the rest will get some polish. I agree that a bit of artistic license is not a bad thing --after all artistic license has been applied with close-ups of stars and SC.

Really like your videos BTW.

This is amazing! I don't know if you did it on purpose (I suppose) but I'm totally digging the Alien / Blade Runner / VHS vibe.

I'd been looking for a Wolf-Rayet...I hadn't searched Shapley 1, because it's supposed to be a white dwarf. I guess somebody wanted the nebula to be even more spectacular.

A rough idea of the route taken . . .

x2pa86.jpg

(a few postcards) . . .

3509ngg.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, thanks for the amazing videos - great editing!

Would you mind to go into some technical details?

I used Shadowplay for the recording, Freemake for the editing, and Audacity for the sound. I put it all together in Lightworks. I've only been using Lightworks for about a month, this video series was part of my initiation into using it so I tried lots of different techniques in the later videos.

I'm still learning but Lightworks seems to be an awesome package so far, and its free!

Last edited:
Sweet! Thanks for the write up and vids. I think im gonna get a fuel scoop and scanner and do my own voyage now. You inspired me. Cheers. :)

Thanks for sharing! Have been watching these before I went to bed. I love the editing. So relaxing and beautiful :) And as a huge Alien fan I really, REALLY love your choice of sounds and effects.
This was an epic journey! Material worth showing on TV as and documentary haha.

Awww mate - that almost brought a tear to my eye. What a fantastic piece of story telling.

Part one of your series is truly the most inspiring ED video I've seen. Well done sir.

Absolutely love it!

Last edited:
Thanks all :)

I thought I was going to give exploring a rest for a while but I've still got the bug to see what's over the next Horizon (lol), so I retired my Cobra (it will never fly again, forever docked in Aulin), and bought an Asp Explorer. I hope to continue this series for a while longer with some more video blogs of the journey I take in the Asp.

Last edited:
Thanks all :)

I thought I was going to give exploring a rest for a while but I've still got the bug to see what's over the next Horizon (lol), so I retired my Cobra (it will never fly again, forever docked in Aulin), and bought an Asp Explorer. I hope to continue this series for a while longer with some more video blogs of the journey I take in the Asp.

Would love to see that. I always wondered why the Asp or Adder is so expensive when I can shoot them down with my standard Eagle. I guess NPC's does not outfit them as players would. I'm curious about the jump range. A journey through the middle of the galaxy and onward to the other side would be cool!

Would love to see that. I always wondered why the Asp or Adder is so expensive when I can shoot them down with my standard Eagle. I guess NPC's does not outfit them as players would. I'm curious about the jump range. A journey through the middle of the galaxy and onward to the other side would be cool!

I got as far as the Norma arm, around 12,000 light years from the galactic core but sadly the game becomes very unstable the closer you get. Probably due to the sheer number of stars it has to render.

The Asp can be a tough ship if you kit it out for short range exploration. You don't need to sacrifice its defenses for range. But for Long Range explorations its probably best to strip it down to its bare bones to squeeze the best range out of it - the downside of that is its pretty vulnerable crossing the frontier systems if it gets jumped by pirates.

Last edited:
Distant Suns - An explorers video blog of the first recorded attempt to cross the galaxy.

This is going to be a follow up to the New Horizons video series. This time I'm attempting to cross the entire galaxy, something I planned to do in gamma last month but delayed it until today since Elite has been officially released (it didn't seem fair to document a journey full of spoilers before the game even went gold!). I'll post videos of my journey to the far galactic rim, lets see how far a ship can actually travel in Elite Dangerous!

First part...

Part 1 - The Lagoon Nebula
(via the Coalsack and HR 4747)

[video=youtube;olwfIBnis5g]
]Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olwfIBnis5g[/video]

Part 2 - Exploring NGC 6357 & the Pismis Open Star Cluster

[video=youtube;yVpnnmTlH9U]
]Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVpnnmTlH9U[/video]

Last edited:
Distant Suns - An explorers video blog of his continuing journey beyond the frontier.

Part 1 - The Lagoon Nebula
(via the Coalsack and HR 4747)

[video=youtube;olwfIBnis5g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olwfIBnis5g[/video]

Part 2 - Exploring NGC 6357 & the Pismis Open Star Cluster

[video=youtube;yVpnnmTlH9U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVpnnmTlH9U[/video]

Wow I really, REALLY love these series. You are making art here and here I am, I should sleep because I have work tomorrow but this is so beautiful. Makes me scream for warm summer nights so I can lay down in the grass and gaze out to the stars. Really hope to see more when the game progresses and adds more cool features :)

Top Bottom