New Major Mountain: Smojai IT-P D6-2 A 2 A

I'll try tomorrow, see if I can get it.

JiDEdfH.png

Couldn't catch it poking through the blue scan grid but it's clearly visible and bloody massive!

One SRV death following a 350m/s landing, two epic base jumps all the way to the bottom and I also decided to climb the thing (which took around 45 minutes).

Video coming later in about half an hour - I've done something a bit special! :D

Last edited:
Couldn't catch it poking through the blue scan grid but it's clearly visible and bloody massive!

One SRV death following a 350m/s landing, two epic base jumps all the way to the bottom and I also decided to climb the thing (which took around 45 minutes).

Video coming later in about half an hour - I've done something a bit special! :D

Enjoy!

[video=youtube_share;XsKKXhDiQE4]https://youtu.be/XsKKXhDiQE4[/video]

Signed ...

oeXMZRs.png

Last edited:
Incidentally - I've just realised that this mountain is pretty much the same height as the entire length of the Pomeche Ridge Challenge Black run! :eek:

In other words, if you turned the Pomeche ridge on its end so it went up into the sky, the finish line would be roughly level with the top of the mountain. To put it another way, if you could freefall "down" the Pomeche Ridge you'd complete the challenge in around six and a half minutes!! (that's over seven minutes faster than the current record holder).

:cool:

Awesome, thanks for the report!
It's about 1,500 ly from the edge of the bubble.

I hope I'm on the right side of the bubble then. I should stop core mining, now that I can afford a shiny nice Krait explorer ship (hope my trusty T-7 doesn't mind too much) and head out there *immediately*!

CMDR Explorix

Last edited:
~3.500 LY, on a moon far far away ...

Smojai IT-P d6-2-Smojai IT-P d6-2 A 2 a (20181230-192659)

Actually a few LY more since I took the opportunity to stop by Hillary Depot. Great trip so far, saw my fist ringed Water World and landed the first time on a port outside the bubble.

Big thanks to CMDR Ex for sharing the discovery of this BIG ROCK :)

CMDR Explorix, Looking forward to climbing the mountain tomorrow ...

Last edited:
Damnit I need to get out there.

EDIT: Got some time tonight to make the trip out (wanted to do it before DW2), holy crap pics don't do it justice.

iGWKdlZ.jpg

Last edited:
Did a measurement of the height of Mount Wesley, as best as I can tell it's 30.6km high, +/- 200m. @_@

What is the proper way to measure this? Any pointers to some guide/help on that topic? 15km from dropping out of supercruise (75km) to fully descend to the top of the mountain seemed about right to me?

Last edited:
Leisurely climbing up Mt. Wesley in my SRV

Hope you don't mind me posting my little adventure climbing up Mt. Wesley in my SRV. Since I carry only one in the hangar I figured it would be more save to drive up the mountain instead of falling down from it :)

The report:
Unfortunately it was still or again dark outside when I woke up the other day on Smojai IT-P D6-2 A 2 A. So I took of in the ship and tried to do some more recon utilizing night vision. I went up to the spot where CMDR Ex did his second base jump. Noticed the place to be already ~4km below the highest point? From there I continued north with the ship in level flight until I had ~21km clearance above ground. There I settled down and got the SRV out.

It was dark down there but most of the mountain above was lit up, and there is always Night Vision, just in case ... Anyways: now or never! And I might be right in time to greet the New Year from the top!

I went straight on a 180° heading. Terrain was good, easy drive. Hardly noticed how it became more steep every other minute. Look at the pictures below for some more testimony of the plain AWESOMENESS OF OUR SRVs :) I must have made it halfway up, driving against or sideways the wall at > 60°. Then a tiny moment of inattention and a small jump pushed me away from the wall: I fell down at least half of what I got up already :-(

With the SRV still in good shape I headed west for some kind of saddle between two higher parts of the mountain. Should be able to climb the top from there, right? And off we go.

It was quite a ride, terrain became very rippled/wavy but I made it safely to the saddle and from there to the Jump Spot.

But, that's not the top of the mountain yet! According to my own mapping I had to go farther south to reach that high plateau that seems to be the top of the mountain. So, I had to cross that saddle that I came up earlier. More bumps/ripples/waves to go through. But all relatively save, no steep climbs/declines anymore. Just something to get through. Once I found some cargo and called in the ship to stow it away. Another time I came across a not-so-lucky SRV - crashed, with more cargo lying around. And then - after approx. 130km! drive - I made it to the top! Unfortunately, still mostly dark around, no nice view besides the stars.

There I stopped, with still some hours until the End of the Year. Sadly, I wasn't prepared for that: no Fireworks in the ship storage to greet the New Year properly:-(

Some pics:
Locations as mapped by me:

Base 1 is where I stayed over night in the ship.
Base North: where I started today
Base Jump DX: ~ the location of CMDR DasExorcist 2nd. base jump, my target
Red: first, failed attempt
Green: successful climb
45829435114_64288ecbfd_b.jpg

From there I continued to what seemed one of the highest locations, as mapped earlier from the ship, marked Mount Wesley:
45639923525_408b8e30fb_b.jpg

Hovering 21km over Base North:

Down at Base North, still dark but that would change soon

The plan: just go up there!

Check the HUD and the Radar, amazing! The Buggy worked even better than back on that Ice moon that I went around

That happened twice during the trip :-(
Getting out and back into the game fixed it each time.

On the saddle, towards the jump point:

Jump Point, CMDR Ex Base jump 2. I won't follow that today!

Towards the actual peak:

Ups!

At the top!

46502057422_2f6f5669ea_b.jpg

Missing Pic: Fireworks, due to not being prepared for that :-(

Happy New Year!
CMDR Explorix

Last edited:
Top Bottom