*NEW* "Military Stripe" paint pack SPOTTED at FrontierStore.net!

Where's my raider ship kit?! The VIV is perfect for it!

MkIV, as well as Keelback and Asp Scout, for example, will probably never receive a paintjob, let alone body kit, unfortunately. It isn't worth the trouble for them to create something that only five people who fly them would buy.
Shame, really. I'm one of them.

I really can't imagine that the texturelayouts for the variants like the Viper MKIV, Keelback or ASP Scout are that much different than those of the ships that they are based on, so it really shouldn't be that much effort to atleast release the skins/skinpacks for them that are avaliable for the respective base ships. Though that won't really do much for the Keelback, as the Turbulence Paint pack is the only one thats missing compared to the type 6. Some paintvariants that I would love to have for my Keelback would be something along the lines of the Squadron paint packs that are avaliable for the ASP, python and anaconda or one of my alltime favorite paintjobs, the red and orange ignition paintjobs that are avaliable for the Sidey, Eagle and CobraMK III(those where basically the first paintjobs I ever bought on the store and I still love to use them).

Last edited:
I really can't imagine that the texturelayouts for the variants like the Viper MKIV, Keelback or ASP Scout are that much different than those of the ships that they are based on, so it really shouldn't be that much effort to atleast release the skins/skinpacks for them that are avaliable for the respective base ships. Though that won't really do much for the Keelback, as the Turbulence Paint pack is the only one thats missing compared to the type 6. Some paintvariants that I would love to have for my Keelback would be something along the lines of the Squadron paint packs that are avaliable for the ASP, python and anaconda or one of my alltime favorite paintjobs, the red and orange ignition paintjobs that are avaliable for the Sidey, Eagle and CobraMK III.

I think (I may be wrong, of course, but I'm sworn pessimist) that even "not that much effort" isn't worth it for ships that only a handful of us fly regularly. We have to face the truth that Mk.III, AspX, Conda and a couple of other "favourites" will always receive much more attention from devs.

Well, in that case it would be interesting to know if they would "accept" comunity created paintjobs to be approved and later added to the store and if they do, then if there are any base skintemplates to be used for that. Cause then I could give creating some skins a try myself and send them in for approval. Admittetly it's been a while since I created models and textures for games (last time I dabbed into this was when creating mods for Vice City, Freespace 2 and Freelancer), so I guess I would have to see how the Textures for the ships in ED are setup/laid out but I don't think it would take me that long to wrap my head around it.

Last edited:
I really can't imagine that the texturelayouts for the variants like the Viper MKIV, Keelback or ASP Scout are that much different than those of the ships that they are based on, so it really shouldn't be that much effort to atleast release the skins/skinpacks for them that are avaliable for the respective base ships. Though that won't really do much for the Keelback, as the Turbulence Paint pack is the only one thats missing compared to the type 6. Some paintvariants that I would love to have for my Keelback would be something along the lines of the Squadron paint packs that are avaliable for the ASP, python and anaconda or one of my alltime favorite paintjobs, the red and orange ignition paintjobs that are avaliable for the Sidey, Eagle and CobraMK III(those where basically the first paintjobs I ever bought on the store and I still love to use them).

TBH, i find it already a scam that you have to pay extra for the same paintjob on a "variant" of the ship you have already bought one.
same as i find it a shame that they do not offer packages where you buy a single color for ALL ships.
but thats how they try to make money

Well, in that case it would be interesting to know if they would "accept" comunity created paintjobs to be approved and later added to the store and if they do, then if there are any base skintemplates to be used for that. Cause then I could give creating some skins a try myself and send them in for approval. Admittetly it's been a while since I created models and textures for games (last time I dabbed into this was when creating mods for Vice City, Freespace 2 and Freelancer), so I guess I would have to see how the Textures for the ships in ED are setup/laid out but I don't think it would take me that long to wrap my head around it.

they had a contest in the past, where we got the chance to submit suggestions for a few ships.
https://community.elitedangerous.com/en/node/255
you may be able to dig up a few of the submitted entries, and i remeber there have been Really good ones that didn't fit the task (3 colors, big shapes)

sometimes i wonder if the paintjobs are limited in the same way the color of the HUD, bound to a color matrix - and why the winning paintjobs didn't get color-variations :(

TBH, i find it already a scam that you have to pay extra for the same paintjob on a "variant" of the ship you have already bought one.
same as i find it a shame that they do not offer packages where you buy a single color for ALL ships.
but thats how they try to make money

Agree, Vibrant, Military and Tactical are all rather dull and are usually the first paintjobs offered for new ships. I'd love to see a package deal, buy Tactical package for and it will apply to all ships like they initially did with Black Friday paintjob.

MkIV, as well as Keelback and Asp Scout, for example, will probably never receive a paintjob, let alone body kit, unfortunately. It isn't worth the trouble for them to create something that only five people who fly them would buy.
Shame, really. I'm one of them.

They could also, I don't know, balance the ships so more people would want to fly them. A ton of effort goes into adding a new ship into the game; why balance it such that only a few fringe players will actually use it? Very frustrating.

They could also, I don't know, balance the ships so more people would want to fly them. A ton of effort goes into adding a new ship into the game; why balance it such that only a few fringe players will actually use it? Very frustrating.

While I agree with that, I also don't want them to fall into the overbalancing trap. After all, Elite is primarily a singleplayer game, so not all ships must necessarily be equal (I'd even go as far as to say they shouldn't). Plus, there is something really satisfying in knowing that a particular ship is considered bad, yet making it work and being able to fly her successfully. :)

While I agree with that, I also don't want them to fall into the overbalancing trap. After all, Elite is primarily a singleplayer game, so not all ships must necessarily be equal (I'd even go as far as to say they shouldn't). Plus, there is something really satisfying in knowing that a particular ship is considered bad, yet making it work and being able to fly her successfully. :)

Thats one of the reasons I love my Keelback and keep on flying it as my main ship even though I'm not even using a fighterbay on it. I mean I could fly any other ship instead and I tried, except for the rank locked ones as I never really bothered to rank up with any of the major factions, even though I've been sitting at 100% with both for ages now. There is just something about the Keelback that makes it "click" for me, funny thing is I can't even really say what exactly makes it click for me but I know that I'm missing this feeling that I have in a KB in all the other ships. Maybe its because of its insane roll rate, because with some DD engineering on its A4 Thrusters this thing rolls faster than an A rated eagle and only slightly slower than an engineered A rated eagle.

I managed some (slightly) better shots of the T-9s in their resplendent Emergency Medical Response colors .....

They are very difficult to capture close up because they are always moving and turn away from you when you try to get close:

kRggJDW.jpg

All FD have to do is interchange the colors, and we could have some really impressive paint jobs for these ships with very little effort.

Also, the FAS looks good painted with this same color scheme :

hNE3Etl.jpg

Last edited:
Aww I wish these had a neutral (black, graphite, even white) stripe variant.
I love that steel colour behind, but the vibrant stripes just remove any industrial vibe.

Thats one of the reasons I love my Keelback and keep on flying it as my main ship even though I'm not even using a fighterbay on it. I mean I could fly any other ship instead and I tried, except for the rank locked ones as I never really bothered to rank up with any of the major factions, even though I've been sitting at 100% with both for ages now. There is just something about the Keelback that makes it "click" for me, funny thing is I can't even really say what exactly makes it click for me but I know that I'm missing this feeling that I have in a KB in all the other ships. Maybe its because of its insane roll rate, because with some DD engineering on its A4 Thrusters this thing rolls faster than an A rated eagle and only slightly slower than an engineered A rated eagle.

Absolutely agree. Though I also would be unable to describe what exactly it is that makes Keelback "click", as you said.
It's a general feeling, not just looks. The ship simply "flies right". I can enjoy both twitchy fighters and sluggish giants and have fun with them, but I never really relax.
When I jump into a Keelback it's just... home. :)
That ship docile and predictible, yet capable of everything I want from her. So yeah, Keelback just "flies right". :D

I managed some (slightly) better shots of the T-9s in their resplendent Emergency Medical Response colors .....

They are very difficult to capture close up because they are always moving and turn away from you when you try to get close:

All FD have to do is interchange the colors, and we could have some really impressive paint jobs for these ships with very little effort.

Last picture is no FAS, it's a Type 7.

I wouldn't mind these paintjobs though, they look great.

The DO look VERY nice...
Great capture, with these pix!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom