Newcomer / Intro New Player (again!) Cant find missions - help please

Hey all,

I first played ED over three years ago with a DK2, but didn't play much and mostly just flew around stations in awe of VR. I had a couple year period of no play and now I am back - and have some typical newbie problems!
I have looked for answers - watched many YouTube videos, and cant find answers.

I have gone through multiple stations within my 7.5 jump range and cannot find missions I can do. Some youtube videos say I am supposed to get a new commander mission that gives me a data run......?
1) Is this correct?, and am I not getting this because I didn't complete the last training (advanced combat)?
2) I have been through three stations in three populated systems - where do I find one way data delivery missions for total noobs? (or any mission I can do, they all require a higher level, or are well out of my jump range).
3) How do I know how much gas I have!? It moves between .36 something and 1.00 something. Clearly this is not a total and represents something else.... At some point just randomly jumping around is not going to go well and as much as fuel rats sounds like an adventure, not the one I want.
4) Galaxy Map in VR. I have movement within the Galaxy working perfectly via HOTAS, that is actually easy. What I cant do is navigate the two floating menus, or click to focus - even though my trigger is set for that. The Galaxy Map options menu doesn't seem to have UI settings, and relies on the UI settings sub tab. So I cant "tab" right into the system section. That means I jump to the system, then open the system map to navigate to a station. I would prefer to have the system and station set as a destination from the start within the Galaxy Map.

Warned you, typical newbie questions :)

I will eventually figure out the galaxy map stuff, but when it comes to missions and gas gauge, help please.

Thanks

Scott

You'll only get tutorial missions if you restart your commander. You don't need to complete tutorial scenarios to get missions. Are you checking all the mission givers for missions? There should be a few you can do. If not go back to the starter system, or somewhere with higher population.

Gas? My ships all run on hydrogen ;) The fuel level is graphical - are you sure you aren't looking at the fuel usage rate?

Hi. Welcome back.

1) the first "welcome mission" appears immediately after you've started playing the game. It tells you to go to the neighbouring system and deliver the data. The mission is lost, however, if you die in the meantime.

2) Generally, the type of missions you find on the mission board is dependent on a state the system is in. If it's in boom, you'll find a lot of deliveries (data and goods), if it's in war, you will find massacre missions, if it's in famine, tere will be donation missions, etc. So it's really hard to recommend a particular place to get a particular mission type.
It would help if you posted a screenshot of your mission board.
If you're not far into the game, it might be worth it to clear your save (in options in main menu) and start over, doing the welcome mission. It will give you 10k Cr. That means that you can buy some D-rated (lighter) modules for your ship and upgrade the FSD a little bit, which will give you longer jump range and more freedom in where you can go and look for work.

3) The number you see is fuel consumption in tonnes per hour. It depends on the modules you have active. Directly below that there are two bars. The thin one up top represents an 1 tonne auxiliary tank that is used to power the ship in normal operations. Underneath there is a second bar with sections. That is your main tank. FSD takes fuel from it when you jump and the aux tank is refilled from it when it runs out.

4) Galaxy map in VR is a mess. There's not much I can advise to help you other than to try and survive it. The floating menu over the system is active when you look directly at it and then you should be able to either use the mouse or navigate through it via the keybinds if they're set up right.

You'll only get tutorial missions if you restart your commander. You don't need to complete tutorial scenarios to get missions. Are you checking all the mission givers for missions? There should be a few you can do. If not go back to the starter system, or somewhere with higher population.

Gas? My ships all run on hydrogen ;) The fuel level is graphical - are you sure you aren't looking at the fuel usage rate?

Yes, I must be looking at the fuel usage rate, thanks.

One of the three systems I choose had a billion people and the most busy station I ever went to, I purposely choose it to ensure I was going to a populated area, hoping for more missions.
Are I checking all mission givers? Other than the station, is there something else I should be checking?

I am not playing the tutorial anymore - playing Solo....does that change things?
Starter System? I will search online for which ones those are....I thought I was in those already; Eravate and Azeban systems areas....?

Thanks

Scott

Are I checking all mission givers? Other than the station, is there something else I should be checking?

When you are in the mission board there are two sections on the screen. The right one are available and unavailable missions (those will tell you why are they unavailable, like not enough cargo capacity, not enough reputation, etc.)
The left part of the screen is the list of individual factions. You can click on every one of them ans see their mission. (there is a number in the corner of each faction's banner that tells you the number of missions they have for you)

The left part of the screen is the list of individual factions. You can click on every one of them ans see their mission. (there is a number in the corner of each faction's banner that tells you the number of missions they have for you)

Whoa hey, I missed that! That must be it.
Scuse me while I head into the black.

Hi. Welcome back.

Generally, the type of missions you find on the mission board is dependent on a state the system is in. If it's in boom, you'll find a lot of deliveries (data and goods), if it's in war, you will find massacre missions, if it's in famine, tere will be donation missions, etc.

I didn't know that - how cool is that? Everytime I turn around ED gets more amazing.

I didn't know that - how cool is that? Everytime I turn around ED gets more amazing.

It really is. I'm playing it four years basically non-stop and even now I am able to just randomly find a thing that blows me away and that I haven't encountered before. :)

My starter system was the Trevithick Dock in the LHS 3447 system. I think there are two starter locations. Basically what I did was move my cargo rack in the starter Sidewinder to storage to save weight and purchase a 1E fuel scoop with the credits you start with. It's a 310 credit purchase. Should be a selection of data delivery or courier missions you can take in the main screen, mission board, to a close star system. I found several the first time I started it up after doing a couple of the tutorial things. I ran ran enough of those missions to slowly upgrade my Sidewinder's frame shift drive for more distance between jumps, thrusters for more boost speed and power plant to run the more power hungry modules. Eventually I was able to A rate it and could go pretty much anywhere I wanted to go. With the missions and availability.. reputation is a big influence on what is presented to you so I took the reputation instead of the credits on every 3rd mission I ran and was able to quickly get the different places I went liking me. As a result the pay and availability increased. Invest in yourself as much as possible at first. Also, check all the folks offering missions because sometimes you can stack several of them from different folks going to the same location. That's a bonus...

Welcome back.

1) Yes and no. You only get the starter/tutorial mission(s) after you first start the game. In your case, you would need to reset your CMDR (main menu, "Clear Save"). It's not worth it just for those missions, though. Getting the tutorial missions in the game is completely unrelated to any of the tutorials you may or may not have started or completed before.#

2) Anywhere, really - but you seem to have found the problem here.

3) Right hand side, there's this panel with the numbers, an oscillograph (your heat signature), a thin line and a thicker bar. The thin line is your small flight tank, the thicker bar (or, when you have a small tank, line of rectangles) is your main tank. When you select a FSD jump, a part of the thick bar/rectangles turns red, that's the fuel you'll need for that jump.

4) one of the main problems a lot of people have. Instead of tab'ing I just 'scroll' to the system map icon - you do have some controls set up for left/right/up/down in the UI settings? Scroll out of the main menu to the right, and you'll end up in the selected system's context menu, two more clicks and you can open the system map right there.

I love my little Sidewinder, MSS Sunrise. I still fly it from time to time just to do something different than what I was doing. A lot of folks just get rid of it as soon as possible but I recommend keeping it. You'll find it handy later on when you want a new ship but it's in a different system than you. Flying over there to get it and then shipping your Sidewinder back to your home system is pretty cheap. I've done it several times and the shipping cost on that tiny ship is almost nothing.

414035548.jpg

I love my little Sidewinder, MSS Sunrise. I still fly it from time to time just to do something different than what I was doing. A lot of folks just get rid of it as soon as possible but I recommend keeping it. You'll find it handy later on when you want a new ship but it's in a different system than you. Flying over there to get it and then shipping your Sidewinder back to your home system is pretty cheap. I've done it several times and the shipping cost on that tiny ship is almost nothing.

That's one angry-looking Sidey.

images

:D :D

Wow, your ship looks great!

She's fully A rated now with a 17ly jump range and 352 ms boost speed. I'll be making the trip over to Aunty Felicity's place to pick up that 2A Enhanced Thruster pretty soon and my boost speed will jump up to 512 ms. Once I get done with the engineering and G5 dirty drive it with drag drive experimental she'll hit 685 ms boost. If I lighten everything else up I can get over 700 ms boost. Pretty much zero issues with being interdicted. I can throttle down to submit and just boost away in the blink of an eye. I just use her for data and courier missions and she's fun to fly. Got 6 ships now with #7 just around the corner and each one is built as a dedicated ship to some task so having different things to do from time to time keeps this game fun and interesting to me.

That's one angry-looking Sidey.

:D :D

Yep, more bark than bite.. hahaha

I called mine MSS Sunrise because discovering Elite was like a brand new day for me. The MSS part is Mo's Space Ship.. hahaha

Top Bottom