Newcomer / Intro (new player) What do veterans do during slow boring fly-time between planets ?

How do you make this game interesting during the fly time between planets? As a new player I feel very frustrated of wasting my time in empty space on gradually slowing Supercruise fly between planets. Are there any mods for this game which would enable Supercruise not to slow down (but maybe/rather to switch off when arrive) at the destination point ? For me Supercruize kills interest to this game despite otherwise likeable game play mechanics. Give me advice what do you do during that time.

Thank you.

1) I rarely take a mission to a destination farther than 5000 light seconds from the arrival star.

2) I never use the forum recommended Supercruise technique. If you're throttling down seven seconds out from your destination, what you're doing is extending what should be at worst a thirty second braking period by up to two minutes, depending upon the arrangement of mass at your destination system.

If you want to reduce the amount of time you spend in Supercruise, what you need to do is take advantage of the braking effects of mass to slow down your ship. When approaching your destination, don't throttle down until five seconds away, and try to get as close as possible to whatever planet your station is orbiting, without hitting the orbital cruise or exclusion zones and getting dumped to normal space. Here's an example of what I'm talking about. Even if you don't get close enough, overshooting your destination and looping back is still faster than throttling down at your destination.

It requires hands on piloting, I personally find it at lot of fun, and you get the satisfaction of getting to your destination a lot faster than most players. Plus, as a bonus, it reduces your window of vulnerability to being interdicted at your destination.

When I do decide that going to a distant destination is worthwhile, until Tuesday I just kept an eye out for USSs that spawned along the way, and visited the high-grade ones along the way. Tuesday is when 3.3 is released, and how USSs spawn will change, so they'll be less likely to spawn along the routes I take.

Work out the gravity wells in the system, pilot the ship to avoid hitting them and being slowed down too much until you get to your destination area. Take Darkfyre's advice and fly in ways that are unorthodox and use gravity braking to best advantage. Plan your trip so that you arrive with a 90 degree to orbital plane view of a gas-giant system to see the moon layout. Look around using headview, see the sights :) Keep a close eye on instrumentation (such as it is) and learn how your ship handles in different situations and how responsive it is in Supercruise. Zone out to the sounds of your ship's hull integrity and paintwork falling apart as you travel long distances. Manage your power consumption by turning things off and on when starting / stopping a cruise, eg SRV bay.

I actually enjoy the cruising element, especially when it was necessary to do that to get planetary scans. But it won't usually float the " rapid fast-paced action" boat, that's for sure :)

How do you make this game interesting during the fly time between planets? As a new player I feel very frustrated of wasting my time in empty space on gradually slowing Supercruise fly between planets. Are there any mods for this game which would enable Supercruise not to slow down (but maybe/rather to switch off when arrive) at the destination point ? For me Supercruize kills interest to this game despite otherwise likeable game play mechanics. Give me advice what do you do during that time.

Thank you.

Totally hear where you're coming from!

First, keep in mind the distance to the station you are taking mission for.

To avoid a lot of supercruise, keep the station distance to 500ls or less, and stay in space to save time by avoiding planetary landings.

And also note that you can often jump to a new system faster than supercruising to another station in the same system.

Second, to avoid u-truns go to 75% thrust at 7 or 6 seconds eta, but if the number starts increasing, increase thrust until it comes back down.

Also, try to approach stations near planets by putting the station between you and the planet, since if you get too close to the planet it will slow you down.

Third, if you ever played Skyrim you'll remember how traveling on foot could be boring if it wasn't for all the herbs to pick, and random encounters along the way.

Well in Elite we have signal sources and interdictions to keep us occupied along the way.

Always check out the pirate messaging you prior to an interdiction to see if you can take them - if you can, go ahead and let him interdict you and take him out for a little in-flight entertainment ;-)

Also, select other things and scan them on your journey - it's a great way to get data for free while supercruising. When doing this you may also want to map a key or button to re-select your current destination.

Fourth, turn on Galnet audio to get caught up on the latest news ;-)

Finally, I find I can easily do cargo missions and run on the treadmill at the same time (I play with a wireless XBO controller,) each is boring in their own way, but man it feels good to do two things at once!

Good luck and Fly Safe CMDR!

o7

Grey

Last edited:
Trying to reduce traveltime as much as possible. Using a lightwight engineered ship with maxed out FSD. Using jump-boosts of those white dwarfes and neutron stars. Using Guardian FSD Booster. Using best available Fuel Scoop. Using Ship Transfer.

Hoping some kind of auto-jump pilot will sometime become available.

Can't do much more I guess.

Whereas the OP's question was "... during slow boring fly-time between planets ?" - so no gold star for you today. ;)

When you get to a certain rank you get issued a standard size inflatable sheep called a Love Ewe. It's up to you to figure out what to do with it. Hours of fun they are....

I'm primarily a combat pilot, so I avoid traveling to stations/points of interests that are more than 4000 LS away.
As for what to do in those 4000 LS distances - I do a passive scan of every ship in front of me, to get encoded data for engineering

Besides this (assuming I am flying something easy to interdict), if I am doing anything above 30 minutes cruise time I start to consider fuel usage and how much the hull integrity repair will cost on arrival. Then of course there is all the jiggling of the course to maximise velocity and still ensure that I emerge at the station facing the slot, if all else fails there are the forums.

OP, you do know that if you deselect your destination as a target until you are fairly close you won't slow down as soon, judging when to reselect the destination so that you don't do the loop of shame will keep your mind occupied.

The "loop of shame" for overshooting and follow up - fancy name, I like it.

The "loop of shame" for overshooting and follow up - fancy name, I like it.

Not original to me in either the naming (unfortunately) or in performing (too new), but I still get to carry it out when my throttle to 75% button glitches or I get too close before using said button.

When I see I'm gonna overshoot the station from the gravity well and me not tapering down the speed to avoid it I just pitch up 90 degrees with throttle to zero. As soon as the ship starts slowing down I roll it over and come straight back down to the station and drop out of SC. Quick and painless.

6rOPFeV.jpg

If I'm too busy for the trip, I don't make the trip.

Otherwise, I'm looking at my maps, talking to other CMDRs, plotting routes, planning things, or taking a dump.

Seen on a forum long time ago ; never touch your private parts when eating paprika chips, they to turn to orange :cool:
I wonder how many...stop it!!! [haha]

It depends on how long the journey is.

Firstly: it sounds like you don't yet know about fast approaches. The tip given to beginners is "throttle to 75% when the timer hits 6 seconds". This is dead easy to do, very reliable ... and leaves you painfully crawling along for an extra minute or two on every trip (more, if it's a big gas giant or a planetary landing) while being very vulnerable to attack - anyone who gives you that advice is either boring and wants you to be bored too, or is hostile and wants an easy target. Doing fast approaches means that the deceleration part of the journey requires you to have your hands on the controls and be actively thinking - much more interesting. The video in Darkfyre's post has a very good example of just how much time you can save with it ... but the key is that even if you get it a bit wrong and have to loop around at the end, you still got to the station far quicker.
Here's another video which shows the comparative advantages of the two fast approaches compared with boring speed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gy4zca1yjKw&t=0s&index=8&list=LLaWKk6ItJKB7B1tCfRTjqAw
(As a beginner, the "loop" approach is the easier one than gravity braking - and especially if the station isn't behind the planet in the first place you'll need to combine both)

Secondly: I do social stuff in the longer straight line bits. That might be talking to people in-game, or on Discord, or on these forums ... or it might be helping out with a community data gathering project like EDSM's trilateration (https://www.edsm.net/ - measure distances from your current position to other stars, so that we can find out exactly where those other stars are without needing to visit them)

Thirdly: I've picked a region of space to live where the furthest station from the main star is only 30,000 Ls (about five minutes cruise) away, and most are a lot closer. That mostly avoids the problem altogether.

Thank you.

Go for a jog on the treadmill while the ship is on half speed.

Well there's time to grind coffee beans and brew a pot of coffee.
Time to check the map for your next destination.
Or if it's Hutton Orbital you're going to... time to watch a movie or a couple of episodes of something on Netflix.

Top Bottom