Newcomer / Intro (new player) What do veterans do during slow boring fly-time between planets ?

How do you make this game interesting during the fly time between planets? As a new player I feel very frustrated of wasting my time in empty space on gradually slowing Supercruise fly between planets. Are there any mods for this game which would enable Supercruise not to slow down (but maybe/rather to switch off when arrive) at the destination point ? For me Supercruize kills interest to this game despite otherwise likeable game play mechanics. Give me advice what do you do during that time.

Thank you.

How do you make this game interesting during the fly time between planets?

I listen to Audio books or the radio as I sit back and relax.

As a new player I feel very frustrated of wasting my time in empty space on gradually slowing Supercruise fly between planets. Are there any mods for this game which would enable Supercruise not to slow down (but maybe/rather to switch off when arrive) at the destination point ? For me Supercruize kills interest to this game despite otherwise likeable game play mechanics. Give me advice what do you do during that time.

Thank you.

Either get used to it or check which missions you take. If you can't look at the target's system map to see the in-system distance. Be suspicious of high paying missions close by.
I like long SC travelling. It is like a nightshift with nothing going wrong. And the further you go from the star the view gets better.

I sit glued to the screen in fear. Trepidation. The true horror of rigid, stark terror in case I'm interdicted.

No need to worry about that until you start to slow down... Most interdictions happen right at the star, or when you're down to <1kls from your destination and braking hard.

I use the HCS voicepacks, initially because they helped with some of my controls but now it’s either laziness, “immersion” or as in this case because I can ask them questions (or more correctly to give me random facts) about the Galaxy and Quantum Theory. I can also get them to tell me about the different ships in the game, the Constellations and a description of every commodity in the game. I also listen to Galnet to keep up with the latest news.

I may listen to music too which is something I do driving around IRL so is something I would do if flying around the Galaxy.

I take the opportunity to scan every ship that I can to collect the extra scan data which quickly racks up and is great for any engineering I want to do and I keep an eye out for hollow triangles and hollow squares that suddenly change direction.

I’ll also use the time to use my second computer to check my materials on Inara, gawp lovingly at my Fleet on the EDSM fleet page and every so often I’ll do some of the photo editing or invoicing that I should really be doing rather than wasting my life on an absurd computer game:eek:

HCS website

Inara website

EDSM website

How do you make this game interesting during the fly time between planets? ...........

Never take a mission that requires long supercruise journeys (don't let greed spoil your game).

Nobody is forcing you to make a long in-system trip, it is your choice - don't blame bad choices on the game.

I never do long journey unless I decide to wear down a paint-job.

P.S. Get out of LHS 3447 if that is your issue - move away.

Never take a mission that requires long supercruise journeys (don't let greed spoil your game).

Nobody is forcing you to make a long in-system trip, it is your choice - don't blame bad choices on the game.

I never do long journey unless I decide to wear down a paint-job.

P.S. Get out of LHS 3447 if that is your issue - move away.

I rarely to this but... ^^^this.

I sit glued to the screen in fear. Trepidation. The true horror of rigid, stark terror in case I'm interdicted.

Besides this (assuming I am flying something easy to interdict), if I am doing anything above 30 minutes cruise time I start to consider fuel usage and how much the hull integrity repair will cost on arrival. Then of course there is all the jiggling of the course to maximise velocity and still ensure that I emerge at the station facing the slot, if all else fails there are the forums.

OP, you do know that if you deselect your destination as a target until you are fairly close you won't slow down as soon, judging when to reselect the destination so that you don't do the loop of shame will keep your mind occupied.

Last edited:
I have more than 1PC so one is always EDDB & INARA -firefox, multi tabs- and then i google alot (many interests)...always with headphones so i can hear every little sound in ED.

Watch my speed. Most trips are over quickly. Except my home system, that can take a couple of mins since its 7000LS out to the station. Then i just generally use the opportunity to light a cig.

Trying to reduce traveltime as much as possible. Using a lightwight engineered ship with maxed out FSD. Using jump-boosts of those white dwarfes and neutron stars. Using Guardian FSD Booster. Using best available Fuel Scoop. Using Ship Transfer.

Hoping some kind of auto-jump pilot will sometime become available.

Can't do much more I guess.

I have more than 1PC so one is always EDDB & INARA -firefox, multi tabs- and then i google alot (many interests)...always with headphones so i can hear every little sound in ED.

Have a bite to eat, make a cup of tea and perhaps listen to Spotify in the background. As above, using wireless headphones makes it so much easier so that if anything goes wrong I will know about it before it is too late.

Give me advice what do you do during that time.

Thank you.

watch
[video=youtube;x-ET5iRuqvw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-ET5iRuqvw[/video]

I've a list of podcasts in a sidebar of my blog... 3 of them are short form fiction so are quite useful for such trips. Ask if you want details...

---

Edit: Updated to show Elite Podcasts...

Last edited:
Top Bottom