PvP New players getting out of pilots federation permit space

A friend of mine finally decided to try ED. congratts!
Well, the area surrounding player starting points are surrounded by jacked up ships, piloted by players looking to kill all with an open symbol on the radar.
Him and my self struggled to move around in open play. There was just hour after hour with relentless ganking. I get the "if it flies it dies" thing, but this is ridicules!
Please educate me on the following; what does a player gain from killing another player on sight. A sidewinder and a lance. What does the player killing a sidewinder gain? There is something I am missing here for sure.

Work around, create private group. Play until maxed out engineered combat ship, and then go open play.

So my question remains; What should I look to gain from shooting another player, I never gain anything from that. I feel a bit stupid to ask this. For there is no loot, no extra perk for it infact beeing a player, what?
Reason for asking, it is impossible to move around, so people are for sure getting alot out of it, that the game is not supplying elsewhere.

At least interdict a player and ask them to drop cargo, have an argument first. Scan the cargo of a ship and ask for said items. And please, move along if there is nothing there you want. Now it is, open symbol on radar, interdict, kill instant, repeat.

I shall read the post about surviving the gank, but I feel that that will not apply to new players coming in.
Until then, solo or private group thanks.

Last edited:
OP I can only advise you to ignore the solo only guys. There is a danger in some areas of the game, but those will become easy to read soon. The starting area is safe for a good reason, but you can easily relocate to other safe systems from there. If you need some help locating them, there are lots of squadrons which actively mentor new players.
I'm flying exclusively in open and most of the time in a ship build for piracy, not full blown combat and I can count the ganks I've been in on a single hand.

Work around, create private group. Play until maxed out engineered combat ship, and then go open play.
I m not ganker, but past stock sidewinder you gain opportunity to learn something from your rebuys, game doesn't offer any challenges outside pvp, fights against npc's are easy even in a rated small ships, in any engineered ship you are in God mode, so you have 2 options, git gud or join carebears, monetary value in elite are worthless, credits are abundant, and fighting npc's don't teach you anything, players in engineered ship without skills die only a bit longer than those in stock ones, so if you are not focused on only exploring and want to have feeling of some accomplishment just play in open.

Use Solo or Private Group to move some distance away from the starter systems and then you can happily play in Open. The 'gankers' generally only congregate in areas where they can get lots of easy kills, such as around the starter systems, at Engineers bases, etc. the rest of the galaxy is fairly free of them.

Deleted member 38366

D
It's really very easy :

Open Play - a total mess and only really useful for FFA PvP or mindless Ganking/Griefing (= utter and complete design failure on a grand scale)

PvE Private Group - the way it was meant to be played and the Galaxy all of a sudden makes sense again (minus legitimate PvP such as Piracy or Conflict Zones though, the price for securely upkeeping tight rules and protecting against Intruders)

Solo - the way it was meant to be played as well, minus other Player presence though

In essence, we have three Game Modes, of which only two properly work. All Modes have certain shortcomings and limitations.
And one of those Modes that still work is only credited to Players investing alot of effort to keep it that way.

Thank FDev for this mess, they've been told all this would happen - again and again and again and again - since almost 5 years now.
Had they listened and done their jobs, we wouldn't have this problem.
That just isn't the case, however, so all Players (new or old) have to deal with it.
The new Players just happen to typically learn all this the hard way, unless they informed themselves ahead of time.

Use Solo or Private Group to move some distance away from the starter systems and then you can happily play in Open. The 'gankers' generally only congregate in areas where they can get lots of easy kills, such as around the starter systems, at Engineers bases, etc. the rest of the galaxy is fairly free of them.
This. You probably won't even need to do it in solo or private once you're underway.

Most areas of the bubble are interchangeable with any other. Once you find yourself a good bounty-hunting spot, a system with nice missions, your nearest IF, and maybe a nearby opal/painite hotspot, you're settled.

Strap on a fuel scoop and fly 100ly in any direction, as far as gankers are concerned you become a very small needle in a very large haystack. Out in my neck of the woods I bump into other players reasonably frequently, but none of the systems are busy enough to make it worth a ganker's time to wait to ambush someone.

pvp players don't care if they drive people from the game. They generally can't think on long time lines. The game will be empty and then they will leave to ruin another game. Yes, private group/solo is best.
This. I usually don't care much what people do as long as I don't have to encounter them in game, but if they're starting to damage the image, profitability and future prospects of my favourite game, that's when I start asking for Open-PvE and more savage C&P.

Play in solo to get away from the starter systems, once you do that play in open again and they should be very rare.

Then, when you get an engineered ship, get your revenge !

Players who kill newbies in the game are just looking for epeen, because theirs in real life is too small. They make videos and streams showing how good they are at killing players in Elite Dangerous and laugh. This makes them feel good and why they shoot/kill newbies. Don't feel angry about them it is a kind of sad place to be in life, personally I pity them for their lack in life.

Go to a private group is my answer. Enjoy the game with friends and forget about the griefers. They don't realise it yet but they are killing open play and it is all their fault.

What should I look to gain from shooting another player, I never gain anything from that. I feel a bit stupid to ask this. For there is no loot, no extra perk for it infact beeing a player, what?

Ever see a bully walk up to the biggest, baddest person in class and step on their shoe? No. Bullies don't pick on qualified opponents, bullies do not fight fair. Bullies pick on the weak. Most (but not all!) gankers could never win a fair fight so they pick on newbies and cripples (unarmed and/or shield-less ships). o7

Well, the area surrounding player starting points are surrounded by jacked up ships, piloted by players looking to kill all with an open symbol on the radar.
Him and my self struggled to move around in open play. There was just hour after hour with relentless ganking. I get the "if it flies it dies" thing, but this is ridicules!

Why hang around this area? Pick a direction and go. In five minutes you'll be 80-100 ly away from that area, probably well away from any concentration of gankers.

This is a silly workaround. Being completely inexperienced in dealing with hostile CMDRs is far more of an issue than the ship one is flying, and you can't gain experience in dealing with hostile CMDRs by avoiding Open.

So my question remains; What should I look to gain from shooting another player, I never gain anything from that. I feel a bit stupid to ask this. For there is no loot, no extra perk for it infact beeing a player, what?

An enemy's loss is your gain. The entire game revolves around CMDR contributions to this shared background simulation. Sure, NPC interactions can be a mechanism for manipulating the BGS, but NPCs cannot influence the BGS themselves, and popping CMDRs can often ruin their missions, destroy their cargo, or prevent their exploration data from being sold.

There is virtually nothing you can do in this game without having your CMDR iterfere with or erase the hard work of others. Any time you have your CMDR complete any sort of transaction, you influence the BGS. Every mission, bond, bounty, load of cargo, system scan, or NPC kill alters the setting to some degree.

Reason for asking, it is impossible to move around, so people are for sure getting alot out of it, that the game is not supplying elsewhere.

It's not impossible to move around, even if it may be difficult to repeatedly criss-cross hostile territory without much in the way of experience or assets.

There is also a significant element of sport that is likely the primary factor behind most of the encounters you've experienced.

At least interdict a player and ask them to drop cargo, have an argument first. Scan the cargo of a ship and ask for said items. And please, move along if there is nothing there you want.

There is nothing your CMDR could have that would be worth anything to most of them. In most cases, blowing up your CMDR's ship will be the most beneficial way they can interact with your CMDR. Either they just want to destroy CMDR vessels, or they are annoyed about the indiscriminate BGS contributions being dumped into the surrounding area (something I can empathise with as my CMDR's old haunts had been throughly destroyed by placing a starter area next to them post-Horizons), or both.

Hypothetically, they could try talking to every CMDR they came across, but newbies are often wholly oblivious to this, and anyone with any shred of experience will just use this time to escape and go about the very business they'd be trying to prevent. Even if they aren't going after CMDRs solely for sport, pulling people over and destroying their ships without warning is about the most efficient way to prevent, dissuade, or discourage the sort of activities they may be opposing.

If as previously posted, the game is dead! Then why are so called gankers out there?
Fact is there isn't that many. Starter systems and hanging around space ports etc is fine fettle for em. Morons no, just a warrior cast. Who need an arena. Space is that arena. The wild west.
Do get used to it. Life on the open road is tough.
So open world for sure. Take the rough with the smooth o)
And pimp an Asp. Can hold it's own in a dogfight. Shields and power and lotsa gimballed guns in both kinetic and heat.
I just run loads from one base to another encountering Npc interdictors hell bent on stopping delivery. Couple of mill for 1 - 5 jumps. Easy money and u map stuff along the way.
It's all a question of how u wanna play and we all have our preferences. But l wholly respect ALL gamers. They make it real.
Btw we need more chat in-game hehe gets lonely out there.
Enjoy it.. I'm on an oculus rift s and loving the immersion.

Starter systems and hanging around space ports etc is fine fettle for em. Morons no, just a warrior cast. Who need an arena. Space is that arena. The wild west.
Heh heh, sure, like the Canadian seal clubbers challenge the very unforgiving nature by giving those bloody blubbery fluffballs some lessons with a club. Man against nature, staring into the eyes of a beast.

I’ll grief the hell out of awful Anacondas all day, but there isn’t much fun in clubbing sideys who have no idea what they’re doing.

I don’t know how it is on the PC side of things, but on Xbox, it’s usually the people who are engineered, but haven’t managed to git gud yet. Those are the ones you’ll find prowling noob zones.

Every system in every direction... really? There's a reasonably simple solution that doesn't rely on the solo doom mongers advice. Fit a cargo scoop, pick a direction, any direction, plot a long route with multiple jumps, then jump-scoop until you're a dozen systems away from the start area. There are literally tens of thousands of systems across the bubble. It's easy to find a nice backwater that is rarely visited by scum and villainy.

Ah yes those are the worse kind. Preying on the noobs. Not l. Do think a PvP rep system resulting in system bans space sport denial of access for ammo and repairs etc would kerb these wanna be arenamasters.

Arguendo

Volunteer Moderator
Keep the armchair psychology and derogatory remarks to a minimum please. Gameplay does not equal reallife behaviour, so keep those comparisons out of the discussion. They lead to nothing good.
Thanks.

Top Bottom