New Ranks

As much as I love the two new Ranks I kind of don't really understand what It takes to get from rank to rank, maybe we could get the old % System back and also a Explanation what you need to Rank up

Agree that the percentages help, but beyond that its fairly self-explanatory I thought? Mercenary, kill things on foot. Exobiology, scan/discover things on foot?
What I mean is that we don't really got a explanation how much you need to do to rank up in general

What I mean is that we don't really got a explanation how much you need to do to rank up in general

It's always been that way but if you're curious the wiki gives you a rough idea of what its required to rank up.

Edit: I know they removed the percentages from the rank table but you know that's Frontier for ya. If you use Inara it still gives you the option to see what your rank percentage is at.

Last edited:
There is a load of info you can't find in the game, and therefore have to use 3rd party tools to get. Quite frustrating in VR, but I think Hell freezes over before that's gonna change. On the other hand, the whole thing about Hell and fire seems to be a general misconception. It's all about information, or lack of it.

There is a load of info you can't find in the game, and therefore have to use 3rd party tools to get. Quite frustrating in VR, but I think Hell freezes over before that's gonna change. On the other hand, the whole thing about Hell and fire seems to be a general misconception. It's all about information, or lack of it.
Actually I tried looking for Information About the mercenary rank but except a fandom site saying you need 30mil in Mercenary work to rank up to Warrior or whatelse I havent found anything, also that data was untrue for me.

Actually I tried looking for Information About the mercenary rank but except a fandom site saying you need 30mil in Mercenary work to rank up to Warrior or whatelse I havent found anything, also that data was untrue for me.
The increases in Mercenary rank varies between players and looks to be another hit and miss. As far as progress in ranks go, they've always kept us guessing and you'll find rough estimates in old threads on the forum or on the Wiki someone else linked earlier on.

For Mercenary rank you basically want to kill the highest tier of NPCs, e.g. those found in High Intensity foot CZs or High Security settlements. Like with the Combat rank, once you progress far enough killing Low and Medium NPCs won't do much anymore.

The increases in Mercenary rank varies between players and looks to be another hit and miss. As far as progress in ranks go, they've always kept us guessing and you'll find rough estimates in old threads on the forum or on the Wiki someone else linked earlier on.

For Mercenary rank you basically want to kill the highest tier of NPCs, e.g. those found in High Intensity foot CZs or High Security settlements. Like with the Combat rank, once you progress far enough killing Low and Medium NPCs won't do much anymore.
are you Sure its about Killing NPCs and not about made profit ?

are you Sure its about Killing NPCs and not about made profit ?
The unofficial(!) Wiki says doing missions should count towards progress, however I have not experienced that myself. If the missions actually contribute to progress, it must be an underwhelmingly low percentage. The only significant changes I've ever seen were from CZs or liberating settlements.

The unofficial(!) Wiki says doing missions should count towards progress, however I have not experienced that myself. If the missions actually contribute to progress, it must be an underwhelmingly low percentage. The only significant changes I've ever seen were from CZs or liberating settlements.

Alright I guess we have to wait til somebody does the research

Stay in high ground cz and keep killing. If you don't find yourself good reason then go slaughter some legal settelment and fill your notoriety to 10.
It's a good deal, you got mats to upgrade your gears, then you try and enjoy your gears in cz. You cooldown notoriety while gainig combat rank and bonds.

Dont bother killing low level NPCs they dont worth money or experiences. Hi cz is gold mine for both credit and combat rank.
Wanna see some action soldier? Remember peace never lasts!

I just whipped up a program that scans the game's log file and extracts the percentages, showing them in realtime. It'll work for me until they put the percentages back on the bars.

It's a shame that the % is no longer shown, but you can also see it in your journal file.

Edit: ninja'd by Sighman's more interesting post!

It's shaky and sporadic though. I've often noticed mine won't update unless I log in and out of Horizons.

yeah I can confirm that
I hadn't realised that, thanks for the info!
I must admit I'm only tracking my very slowly increasing ship combat rating having never fired a shot on foot, so tend to take a note of it at the end of a session when I've clicked the big blue "update from FD servers" or-whatever-its-called button on Inara.

Top Bottom