Powerplay New rating system and new personal rewards in Powerplay.

Honestly I do not remember if I spoke about this single idea in here too or just in the Discord Servers I usually partecipate in but, since I can't find any thread about it started by me, I'd like to talk about how Powerplay is a terrible credit-sink, making most players basically far far away from it.

A little disclaimer: this particular proposal should only be considered with solid mechanics to counter 5C effects on Powerplay, or it could be easily exploited by casuals doing great damage to their Power itself.

POWERPLAY REWARDS AS FOR COMMUNITY GOALS

I'll be honest: I do not like Community Goals in general, I basically never partecipate in any of those because I find them very repetitive and, mostly, their effects over the Galaxy basically never concern me in any way, but I've always found the way to calculate the rewards for the players involved simple and really effective. Basically whoever contribute the most have the better rewards, but the most interesting thing about that is how the global result affects the rewards for everybody, making the actions of these big contributors a relative advantage even for the newest players that contribute less than the others, improving their rewards too. I think that this system is simply PERFECT for a community game such Powerplay is, so I would try to adapt the Community Goal "Personal Rewards & Global Tier" structure into Powerplay too.

HOW TO CALCLATE TIERS: LET'S MAKE CCs MATTER

Right now for a Power to finish the Cycle with a great amount of CC (Command Capital) is basically useless, even potentially harmful, in fact many Powerplay groups even try to keep their CCs as close to zero to counter any unwanted preparation to become an unwanted expansion after a votes snipe, and cosidering that CC are basically the only way we can measure how much maintenance the players did for that Power it doesn't make any sense at all that you want to keep it as close to zero, isn't that right?
In this new way to calculate the personal rewards, the equivalent of Tiers in Community Goals should be determined by the number of Command Capitals gained by that Power at the end of the Cycle, in this way if a Community is well organized and keeps its Power at its best, more Players will benefit because of that, even the smaller contributors.

REWARDS STRUCTURE BY MERITS

Ok this is a tricky one: one of the great problems with 5C activities done by casuals (which is important for the most crowded Powers) is that these activities are, in fact, the fastest way to grind merits. This could be done for a lot of different reasons: module shopping, ensuring some rating 5 bonus that's considered particularly useful etc. So if we really want to measure the effectiveness of the different Players by merits, we should consider to assign these merits in a different fashion as they've been assigned until now.
Enter the concept of "useless merits" (or if you want "void merits").
Preparation: this activity should not give any merit to the single player. Yeah, I know this is a little bit extreme, but it's the only way I see to not exploit any CG-like reward Structure based on merits.
Fortification: any merit delivered over the 100% tier should not be assigned to the Player, as for Preparations, to avoid any merits grinding exploit using the closest systems.
Undermining: same as for Fortification: you go over the 100%, those merits are not assigned.
Expansions: in this case every merits matters and it's assigned correctly.

Now: I know that apparently this is something that could enhance 5C activities, but I will quote myself with what I already wrote in the beginning of this post: this particular proposal should only be considered with solid mechanics to counter 5C effects on Powerplay.

Last but not least, a little table to summarize.

Tier 1Tier 2Tier 3Tier 4Tier 5
Rating 1 - Top 100%1,000 cr
allocation 10
10,000 cr
allocation 15
3rd place Power Bonus
20,000 cr
allocation 20
2nd place Power Bonus
Power Module
50,000 cr
allocation 25
1st place Power Bonus
Power Module
100,000 cr
allocation 30
1st place Power Bonus
Power Module
Top Rating Power Bonus
Rating 2 - Top 75%50,000 cr
allocation 15
3rd place Power Bonus
100,000 cr
allocation 20
2nd place Power Bonus
Power Module
300,000 cr
allocation 25
1st place Power Bonus
Power Module
500,000 cr
allocation 30
1st place Power Bonus
Power Module
Top Rating Power Bonus
1,000,000 cr
allocation 35
1st place Power Bonus
Power Module
Top Rating Power Bonus
Rating 3 - Top 50%500,000 cr
allocation 20
2nd place Power Bonus
Power Module
1 Vote
1,000,000 cr
allocation 25
1st place Power Bonus
Power Module
1 Vote
2,500,000 cr
allocation 30
1st place Power Bonus
Power Module
Top Rating Power Bonus
1 vote
5,000,000 cr
allocation 35
1st place Power Bonus
Power Module
Top Rating Power Bonus
1 vote
allocation 40
1st place Power Bonus
Power Module
Top Rating Power Bonus
1 Vote
Rating 4 - Top 25%5,000,000 cr
allocation 25
1st place Power Bonus
Power Module
2 Votes
10,000,000 cr
allocation 30
1st place Power Bonus
Power Module
Top Rating Power Bonus
2 Votes
15,000,000 cr
allocation 35
1st place Power Bonus
Power Module
Top Rating Power Bonus
2 Votes
25,000,000 cr
allocation 40
1st place Power Bonus
Power Module
Top Rating Power Bonus
2 Votes
50,000,000 cr
allocation 50
1st place Power Bonus
Power Module
Top Rating Power Bonus
2 Votes
Rating 5 - Top 10%50,000,000 cr
allocation 50
1st place Power Bonus
Power Module
Top Rating Power Bonus
5 Votes
75,000,000 cr
allocation 60
1st place Power Bonus
Power Module
Top Rating Power Bonus
5 Votes
100,000,000 cr
allocation 70
1st place Power Bonus
Power Module
Top Rating Power Bonus
5 Votes
125,000,000 cr
allocation 80
1st place Power Bonus
Power Module
Top Rating Power Bonus
5 Votes
150,000,000 cr
allocation 100
1st place Power Bonus
Power Module
Top Rating Power Bonus
5 Votes

The idea basically is: the highest the tier, the more Ratings will be able to benefit of the best Power Bonuses, basically because highest CCs mean that the Power is healthy and firmly in control of their dominions. I know this is not perfect, this is just a proposal to see if that could work, and to work perfectly Powerplay should be a different game (the one with no overheads, single systems turmoil, competitive forts/UMs triggers etc), but this could be something really funny to play with, and even profitable for the single player.

Discuss. ;)

Assuming 5C is sorted, a tiered system would certainly be better than straight Merit Decay which disenfranchises a lot of potential players however I would personally look to rewarding commanders for loyalty to a Power. Elite Dangerous, imho, suffers from a lack of character progression; you have the ship & the honorary rank system but the rank system's only impact is to unlock the ship so it doesn't really feel like progression for many players. Powerplay imho could fulfil this gameplay gap by replacing Ratings with proper ranks you unlock that give access to better rewards that are bought with Merits (thus getting rid of Merit Decay and giving genuine in game progression).

CMDR Justinian Octavius

Assuming 5C is sorted, a tiered system would certainly be better than straight Merit Decay which disenfranchises a lot of potential players however I would personally look to rewarding commanders for loyalty to a Power. Elite Dangerous, imho, suffers from a lack of character progression; you have the ship & the honorary rank system but the rank system's only impact is to unlock the ship so it doesn't really feel like progression for many players. Powerplay imho could fulfil this gameplay gap by replacing Ratings with proper ranks you unlock that give access to better rewards that are bought with Merits (thus getting rid of Merit Decay and giving genuine in game progression).

CMDR Justinian Octavius
That's interesting: what about a "fidelity bonus" to add to your regular salary calculated like this?

Salary * weeks of pledge / 500

This would give people a reason to stick to their Powers. Taking myself as an example, I've been pledged to Delaine for 118 weeks, this means that I'd have a bonus of 11.8 M credits.
Basically it's a 100,000 credits/week bonus at rating 5, a 10,000 for rating 4, 1,000 for rating 3, 100 for rating 4, 2 credits (lol) weekly for rating 1.

Top Bottom