New record for high gravity landable planet!

Did you turn off Flight Assist? Having FA on will significantly limit your speed. The best test of gravity is to turn off FA, and turn off your thrusters, and then drop like a rock. :D
Yeah, I tried both ways. Maybe I'll try with thrusters off, or going at an angle... seems stupid that there are ships which can fly faster than maximum falling speed.

But first I'll have to find another carrier to dock at, the one I used as respawn point yesterday has already departed.

Yeah, I tried both ways. Maybe I'll try with thrusters off, or going at an angle... seems stupid that there are ships which can fly faster than maximum falling speed.

But first I'll have to find another carrier to dock at, the one I used as respawn point yesterday has already departed.

Hang on, I'll open mine up again for visitors, I didn't realise the other was gone!

Ok done, feel free to dock, it will be in this area for a while so don't worry it won't suddenly run away with you. Also keep in mind Medusa's Rock isn't that far away if you want a backup docking place!

I lost a lot more ships :)

Shame the other FCs in system are squad and friends only... There were 5 FCs present when I departed.

The main question should probably be whether such a planet could actually exist. That's beyond my area of expertise. Over to the astrophysicists for that one.
You paged? :D

But the answer is, kinda. It would be astrophysically unusual to have a planet this massive without a thick atmosphere (i.e. being the core of a gas giant) but at this proximity to an A-class star it's plausible that the original atmosphere would have been evaporated away by now. The crust would be a boiling lava ocean at this temperature of course, so landing there is rather unrealistic absent lava-pontoon landing gear technology. But there's no reason a planet this massive can't exist.

The density and surface gravity here would be quite unusual for normal matter, though. Ordinarily densities this high are only possible for old, cool brown dwarfs that have a well-compressed hydrogen core. It is theorized that rocky/metallic gas giant cores exposed by atmosphere loss might not immediately decompress, and would continue to exist at abnormally high density for an extended time. There are some planets that seem to have such high densities in the Kepler data set, although nothing quite as extreme as this planet. See, e.g. here: https://royalsocietypublishing.org/doi/10.1098/rsta.2013.0164

So, a fun place to visit if it was real! Lethally high gravity, molten surface, and any solid land you find is going to be made of exotic crystals compressed to around five times the density of uranium. That, idk, probably explode if you look at them funny and cause them to rebound back to their normal zero-pressure molecular structure.

Did you turn off Flight Assist? Having FA on will significantly limit your speed. The best test of gravity is to turn off FA, and turn off your thrusters, and then drop like a rock. :D
Testing the freefall once again.
Straight down - speed caps at 500 m/s. FA on or off, thrusters on or off - does not matter.
Shallow angle (5-10 degrees down) it accelerates with flight assist on and thrusters on.
Disabling flight assist and/or thrusters stops acceleration.

Started around 800-900 km. Currently at ~500km above surface, going over 4k m/s.

Update: closer to the surface the range of the angle you need to keep gets lower. At ~150km it's about 4 degrees down.

Update: crashed at 6871 m/s.

Update: recording of final phase of the test:

Last edited:
There must be. I wanted to see how much speed I can get before crashing, going straight down full throttle and boosting, both FA on and off, caps just over 500 m/s.

I was very disappointed.
If memory serves, there's a lore related hand-wavium reason why vertical acceleration is capped in freefall.
But can state definitively that this is currently the fastest planet in the galaxy. Should be fairly simple to break 35km/s in normal space.

Flossy

Volunteer Moderator
Just going to see if I can land and get first footfall to make the hat trick, if I live!
Doesn't look like it has an atmosphere so disembarking for first footfall won't be an option. 😉
I'm so used to looking for planets with atmospheres to hunt for plants! :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Is it the same in both Horizons and Odyssey, just wondering if it's been miscalculated somehow and as stated should have been a gas giant as had already been stated?

@varonica, we're having loads of fun on this planet, regardless of what the Physics Engine has seen fit to manifest.

One of the newest techniques in SpeedBowl, the Carpet Burn!
Source: https://youtu.be/4EYSSZxP9eo

Good, I was worried I had created a trap for the unwary and inexperienced pilots, but as long as it's experienced pilots terminating themselves with extreme prejudice that's fine, have fun :ROFLMAO:

Is it the same in both Horizons and Odyssey, just wondering if it's been miscalculated somehow and as stated should have been a gas giant as had already been stated?

No the above video was in Horizons, you can tell by the geo POI, the don't appear in Odyssey!

What's probably happened is the stellar forge originally created it as a large high grav planet with dense atmosphere, and is it was evolved with the galaxy (because that's how stellar forge works) the proximity to the primary star has stripped all the atmosphere through the process of photostripping. An example is TOI-849 b, a gas giant core left behind after the atmosphere was blasted away.

So if it had been further from the star who knows what it may be like, but probably not landable! Just a very lucky circumstance has given us an extremely high grav world with no atmosphere, ordinarily it would have a dense atmosphere and not be landable.

Good, I was worried I had created a trap for the unwary and inexperienced pilots, but as long as it's experienced pilots terminating themselves with extreme prejudice that's fine, have fun :ROFLMAO:
Oh no! We've been looking for a world like this for a VERY long time. Had been alerted to the find within minutes of your original post.
This is how we have fun, lots of fun

Top Bottom