New record for high gravity landable planet!

Thats mental, can you even take off or drive the SRV around?

You have to name this system something crazy 🤣

Last edited:
Thanks for finding and sharing this. Pulsed FA off worked just fine for landing
HqPEljJ.png

Just curious, did you use the vertical landing technique (nose at 90 degrees and slowly back down to the planet), or some other method?

Slowly edging forward at around 50mps with dive angle around 5% until just above the surface. There was one hairy bit where If found myself around 2klms up and dropping around 150mps after a foolish tap at the vertical thrusters but I saved it with nose and up and boost and pulled up to around 1.4klms before trying again, this time staying away from vertical thrusters and just gently gliding down.

There are other methods but that one works as well as any others, it's just that last little bit of reaching the surface is tricky and took some shield out.

Thats mental, can you even take off or drive the SRV around?

You have to name this system something crazy 🤣

Yes you can drive the SRV, I haven't tried leaving yet, should be interesting, I think you would need to be a couple of klms up just in case before trying to change to horizontal flight!

Congrats! Probably an unbeatable record since it looks like that planet was handcrafted. I think it was meant to be a gas giant.

EDIT: Oh, and do submit this to the GMP. This planet is far more worthy of the title "Planet Pancake"

Will do, haven't decided on a name yet though.

Down, zero damage, whew!

JqmJyAI.jpg

Now all I have to do is step out through the door, into 5,000k!

Can't step out, it says the gravity is to high lol.

Anyway that's me done for the night, going to sign out planetside, I expect to see some other people here when I log back in, it's not every day we get a new high G record, and I hold the record for first landing at this sort of G anyway even if I can't get first footfall!
I wonder what the ship is doing that allows for the internal local gravity of the ship to be tolerable? Preventing your skeleton from tearing out through your skin vertically, and then flattening itself into a globular disc on the floor.

I wonder what the ship is doing that allows for the internal local gravity of the ship to be tolerable? Preventing your skeleton from tearing out through your skin vertically, and then flattening itself into a globular disc on the floor.
We've never been told. We've been told there is no "artifical gravity" in the ED universe, so by extension, there cannot be "artificial antigravity", either.

"Old lore" from the previous Elite games was that pilots were protected from the extremes of high-G navigation through a combination of genetic manipulation and cybernetic enhacements, coupled with the premise that a pilot wasn't just sitting there in a chair, but rather was immersed in an impact-cushioning gel bath. That latter hypothesis is blatantly untrue in ED, since we can all see that we are clearly just sitting in chairs, leaving only the genetic engineering or cybernetics to explain our non-death. And magnets - really, really strong magnets, to stop us falling out of our chairs.

We've never been told. We've been told there is no "artifical gravity" in the ED universe, so by extension, there cannot be "artificial antigravity", either.

"Old lore" from the previous Elite games was that pilots were protected from the extremes of high-G navigation through a combination of genetic manipulation and cybernetic enhacements, coupled with the premise that a pilot wasn't just sitting there in a chair, but rather was immersed in an impact-cushioning gel bath. That latter hypothesis is blatantly untrue in ED, since we can all see that we are clearly just sitting in chairs, leaving only the genetic engineering or cybernetics to explain our non-death. And magnets - really, really strong magnets, to stop us falling out of our chairs.

And water;

The researchers have shown previously that the device can levitate water-based items for hours, but were skeptical that it would be able to make a mouse, weighing10-grams, float for long periods of time. Yet, they were able to “fly” the mouse for hours, allowing it to roam freely, and giving it food and water.

So yes we can be levitated by magnets, and no, it isn't anti-gravity, so really, really strong magnets must be the answer.

While a person trying to land on this planet would die within a matter of seconds, I don't believe it would be in that dramatic a way. John Stapp survived a peak acceleration of 46.2 g for 1.1 seconds, without any permanent injury. That was in a horizontal position though, eyeballs outward. In typical ED fashion, a CMDR arriving would do so at an angle, eyeballs out as well, so they'd lose consciousness well before that second. But even if they came in vertically (which a regular CMDR wouldn't do, as there'd be gliding that way), the difference would be so small that it wouldn't matter anyway.

The immediate cause of death would be an interesting question - in the "CMDR approaching through glide at angle" scenario, I wonder if it would be brain hypoxia, or if something else would kill the pilot first. The end result wouldn't be a torn-out skeleton and a globular disc on the floor though: rather, it would whatever is left behind after the ship crashes into the surface. I mean, the pilot at the controls is dead, and I don't think that in ED, automatic landing - or even just hovering - would be able to prevent the ship from crashing.
Although... does somebody want to try that out and see what happens? :D

and I don't think that in ED, automatic landing - or even just hovering - would be able to prevent the ship from crashing.
Although... does somebody want to try that out and see what happens?
Not sure I understand what you are asking here.

But I can tell you this feels nothing like 45g considering 45g is about 7.5 time 6g :)
Yes you drop like a rocket if you as much as even look at thrust down... Just dont do that and you will be fine

Top Bottom