Game Discussions New Router.

New Router.

I'm moving soon and the new place will have 100 meg up and down fibre internet, the thing is with the company we are going with it being local to the town we live in they dont provide a router and the one we have is 4 years old and the company we are with now want it back.

Thus I need a new one, mainly for online gaming, but more so for coop with the wife who is on wireless, I tend to host and have a wire connection. We also have 3 phones, two chrome casts, and I download a lot of shall we say sod off Disney.

Want to spend between 500 and 1000 (Krona) but the prices tend to stay the same be it pounds or dollars, so 50 to 100, and as I know next to nothing about what a good router should be, any help would be welcome.

I do know I want 5.0 Ghz, but past that….If this not the right place Mr mod feel to move it :)

I don't know the value of a Krona in $

But I've had rock solid performance from my TP-Link router

This is the one I have,

If I had to replace, I'd likely go with this:

I do like the 5400 because it's a Tri-band router that gives me two 5g channels that I can use for different purposes. I use the 2.4 channel for all my IoT stuff, one 5g for wifi devices and the other 5g fo media streaming stuff.

Last edited:
I don't know the value of a Krona in $

But I've had rock solid performance from my TP-Link router

This is the one I have,

If I had to replace, I'd likely go with this:

I do like the 5400 because it's a Tri-band router that gives me two 5g channels that I can use for different purposes. I use the 2.4 channel for all my IoT stuff, one 5g for wifi devices and the other 5g fo media streaming stuff.
Looks like my new internet is going to be a solid 16-20 Mbps. It'll be a while yet before I can set up my gaming rig but on my wife's iMac we've been watching movies streamed from Netflix and Amazon Prime and it works without a hitch.

Given how miniscule my download speed is, is it even worth my time to get a high end router or would the capabilities of the router just be wasted?

Looks like my new internet is going to be a solid 16-20 Mbps. It'll be a while yet before I can set up my gaming rig but on my wife's iMac we've been watching movies streamed from Netflix and Amazon Prime and it works without a hitch.

Given how miniscule my download speed is, is it even worth my time to get a high end router or would the capabilities of the router just be wasted?

You certainly can't speed up you connection to your ISP with a better router if the bandwidth isn't there. Most routers today will have a gigabit WAN port as that's typically the highest speed you will get on a residential connection. So the consideration in a setting where you get a max of 20Mbps would be getting enough performance internally on your wifi to get the max speeds you can get from the ISP. Remember that a router basically follows inverse square rules - the signal will get weaker and the bandwidth internally will get slower as you move further away from the router.

There can be other considerations as well as a good high end router can often provide a stronger signal inside the home and give you better coverage.

Every setting is different. I have a lot of PC's, servers, phones, tablets, laptops etc and often several streams are in the air at the same time. But if your needs are modest and you don't do much wireless file transfer between your devices you can certainly get good results with a mid level router. As long as you run a speedtest and get the bandwidth you've signed up for from your ISP, then getting a faster router would not provide any benefit unless/until your particular environment changes.

HTH

With throughputs so modest, a "high end" router certainly wouldn't see a good use case for the price.

Mind you - at those throughputs - repurposing an old PC with a couple of NICs as a router tends to be a fun and interesting project - with all the customisation tweaks 99% of users will ever need and the ability to table as you see fit. Some people do not like that ability one little bit ;)

Downsides of course are noise and power consumption - and setting the silly thing up properly - compared to a box you simply plop down and plug in and forget about :D

You certainly can't speed up you connection to your ISP with a better router if the bandwidth isn't there. Most routers today will have a gigabit WAN port as that's typically the highest speed you will get on a residential connection. So the consideration in a setting where you get a max of 20Mbps would be getting enough performance internally on your wifi to get the max speeds you can get from the ISP. Remember that a router basically follows inverse square rules - the signal will get weaker and the bandwidth internally will get slower as you move further away from the router.

There can be other considerations as well as a good high end router can often provide a stronger signal inside the home and give you better coverage.

Every setting is different. I have a lot of PC's, servers, phones, tablets, laptops etc and often several streams are in the air at the same time. But if your needs are modest and you don't do much wireless file transfer between your devices you can certainly get good results with a mid level router. As long as you run a speedtest and get the bandwidth you've signed up for from your ISP, then getting a faster router would not provide any benefit unless/until your particular environment changes.

HTH
Thanks for the technical advice:)

Top Bottom