General / Off-Topic New series of star trek

STD for me, has been painful and horrible to watch in so many aspects. (fun commentary at the "Nerdrotic" channel) (& I'm a TOS fan where my favorite Trek movie is TMP.)This is the "bad robot" "prime" Kurtzman verse, not the original prime Trek universe. Well, the Talos IV episode was a bright spot, paying proper homage to the original series pilot, one of Gene Roddenberry's original stories. Maybe someday the franchise will get back to regular flavor proper.

I don't mind Star Trek Dicovery, it has some good, some really good, and some not so good. While I wasn't enamored with the Spore Drive (silly idea) I liked most of the rest of it, especially the links to the mirror universe.

I am also a big fan of TOS and I really like the TMP too. I really don't mind them treading on new ground a bit. There were wars in the federation history and having it centered around that was not that bad. It can't be all boldly going where no one has gone before, it would get a bit boring if every series was the same format.

Hi all,

I'm watching the new series of Star Trek on Netflix and enjoying it. Just wondered what distances did they travel. Did they travel outside of our galaxy.

Thanks,

Ivorsmallun..

Most of Trek takes place withing what we in ED would call the Bubble.
DS9 goes part way round (about half way) to Colonia, and of course Voyager went to BP, but that's about it really.

Hi all,

I'm watching the new series of Star Trek on Netflix and enjoying it. Just wondered what distances did they travel. Did they travel outside of our galaxy.

Thanks,

Ivorsmallun..

STD is set within a parallel 4th wave feminism univserse, They then travel to another Evil version of that universe. But everything is within the same Galaxy.

(waits for political buckshot)

giphy.gif

Last edited:
  • Like (+1)
Reactions: EUS
I love Discovery, best trek since DS9.

I particularly like Saru, he has such a wise presence, and I've enjoyed watching him change this season. The rest of the cast is very good as well. Better acting than most trek shows. Just hoping they bring back Lorca somehow.

I also think the "previously on Star Trek" recap of "The Cage" was amazing.

I agree all you have said, but I don't think Lorca is coming back any time soon

but it will interesting to see who replaces Pike in Season 3

STD for me, has been painful and horrible to watch in so many aspects. (fun commentary at the "Nerdrotic" channel)
He clearly dislikes STD and I disagree with him but his comments about Doctor Who were spot on

(& I'm a TOS fan where my favorite Trek movie is TMP.)This is the "bad robot" "prime" Kurtzman verse, not the original prime Trek universe. Well, the Talos IV episode was a bright spot, paying proper homage to the original series pilot, one of Gene Roddenberry's original stories. Maybe someday the franchise will get back to regular flavor proper.[/QUOTE]

STD is in the Prime Universe and not the Bad Robot Kelvin Universe. Yes it looks different to TOS but this is a show made in 2018/19 not 1965-1969. The same can be said for the flavour of the show.

I firmly believe recreating the flavour of TOS now would fail. STD is a product of the 21st century and, as with all science fiction reflects what is happening now.

TOS was a product of the 1960s and has stood the test of time very well, something which cannot be said of TNG which has not dated well at all. DS9 (which started out life as a copy of Babylon 5) has dated well because ditched Roddenberry's 'no-conflict' between the characters directive after his passing and became its own show.

STD is not trying to by any of the previous Trek shows, but is still has the look and feel of Star Trek albeit with a modern twist.

Last edited:
Never liked DS9, Sisko was a terrible captain as well.

*sigh* How could you? (j/k!)

I heard somewhere Patrick Stewart was going to be in it again? Has that happened yet?
I started watching it when Michelle Yeoh was the captain, I was hoping she would last longer. I liked Michael Burnham, even though her backstory made no sense to me.
The Klingons were badass, but again they made no sense to me after decades of them looking like Worf and Vasco Sapien. And my interest dwindled to slightly above zero about the time they hooked up a giant tardigrade (?) to the warp drive. Sic transit, gloria mundi...

I heard somewhere Patrick Stewart was going to be in it again? Has that happened yet?

Unfortunately he is getting his own new Star Trek series set 19-20 years after the events of Nemesis (you know the film which made ST V The Final Frontier look good) and he will no longer be in Star Fleet.

BTW Michelle Yeoh will be getting her own show as well, eventually.

Last edited:
Spoilers, probably...

Discovery is pretty mediocre, IMO.

I do like the references to TOS, the fleshing out/reimagining of the Klingons, the mirror universe stuff, and that it's at least pretending to be progressive despite having zero depth to those aspects.

However, the execution is really sloppy in some places: some of the stories are really dumb, the 'science' fiction is as soft as it gets, the characterizations erratic, and the pacing so rapid that we see almost no organic character development and even fewer plausible interpersonal relationships. I'm generally left having to assume much, like most of the development is done off-screen, which it has to do out of necessity...then the actual show is filled with transparent emotional tricks interleaved with action scenes. Too many characters with not enough screen time. Watching TNG again really makes the poor pacing and hollow characters of Discovery stand out.

I liked Lorca. Kinda wished he wasn't the mirror universe Lorca though...Section 31 is too obvious and too corrupt to really be anything except for the bad guys. Lorca, at least until he went full Evil (and undid himself in the exposition), was a much more credible example of a moral gray area.

Also, giant space waterbears, from a glowing mushroom dimension, that can warp themselves around, at will is probably the most outlandishly awesome thing ever. I really didn't want to like it, but it was pretty neat and felt like one of the most original things in the show.

Vasco Sapien.

Gowron!

Unfortunately he is getting his own new Star Trek series set 19-20 years after the events of Nemesis (you know the film which made ST V The Final Frontier look good) and he will no longer be in Star Fleet.

BTW Michelle Yeoh will be getting her own show as well, eventually.

Oh dear! Well... let's hope for the best, he's usually worth watching. Great news about Michelle Yeoh though.

I know, lol, only without the flower! Gowron rocked!

First I heard of the Tardigrades game (could be a side effect of not having used Steam since 2004), but yes, it sure sounds like Discovery could have ripped it off wholesale.

Ripping of something that was original in 2014 still makes it more original than most of Trek, which has ripped-off itself, and everything else, over an over again for more than fifty years.

I grew up watching Star trek with Kirk & Co, and then TNG, but going back they just didn't hold up. Can't stand any of them now.

I grew up watching Star trek with Kirk & Co, and then TNG, but going back they just didn't hold up. Can't stand any of them now.

I still like a few TOS episodes and I feel TNG is better than, and as relevant as, ever...except for the clothes and hair.

The science in star trek has always been an erratic veneer and the more I've learned the more absurd it's become, but the science was never really the point.

Right now are releasing the second season, one new episode each Friday. At least in Mexico.

So people outside the US can watch STD for free on netflix? Americans required to pay to watch this show on CBS while it's free elsewhere is comparable to the F1 situation where you have to pay $25 a month to watch if you live in the UK while it's free in the US.

Definitely not cool.

Top Bottom