New Ship for Elite - great idea.

Thats true as well. There's not much to do between explo, trade and PvE. And anything else that's a cross-over of the three. We might need some more specialized occupations. Any ideas?
You can break combat, trade, and exploration into several sub-sections with some overlap. For example:
  • Pure trade would be bulk cargo hauling (including missions), rares trading, smuggling, and short range passenger hauling
  • Pure exploration is self explanatory
  • Pure combat would be bounty hunting, assassination, mercenary work (i.e. CZs), and AX combat
  • Trade and exploration would be mining, salvage, and space tourism
  • Trade and combat would be piracy
  • Exploration and Combat would be something that isn't in the game yet.
Looking over the 13 defined roles, we have dedicated ships for bulk cargo, passenger hauling / space tourism, bounty hunting / assassination, mercenary work and AX combat. There are no dedicated ships for smuggling, rares trading, exploration, mining, salvage, or piracy, although the ships that are widely regarded as being the best ships for these roles are typically dedicated to other roles and/or can perform one or more of these roles exceptionally.

We don't need another dedicated cargo / passenger hauler (although I would not complain about getting one), and we definitely don't need another dedicated combat ship (I've lost count of the number of them that we have), but we could use a dedicated ship for mining, salvage, piracy, or exploration. Unfortunately, such a ship would likely end up being just another multirole ship that can do just about everything, which is not something I would like to see if the ship was advertised as being a ship dedicated to a single role.

I'd like to see a good 'ole flying saucer. My friends from sideways in the galaxy - :alien::alien::alien: - want to take another trip to Sol to stir things up again. "It has been too long," they say.
At least that's what I think they said. Sometimes the little green men I see don't telepath well and their voices in my head aren't too intelligible.

Anyway... it's a perfect shape. Hardpoints all around. This stuff about forward-pointing this-and-that is silly. There's no forward or backward in space. Besides, how many times have we all wanted to take a shot at that pesky ship attacking us from behind? Oh, there, I couldn't get away from it either! Flying saucers - yeah! This could open up a whole new role in ED - sneak to Terra and...
well, I'll leave it to the imagination to create content.

😎

They also told me that this time they're gonna steer clear of Roswell - really!

The point is that progression basically goes: Sidewinder, whatever, Cobra, Asp, Python/FDL, whatever. With the Python being the optimum trajectory for almost any task. Beyond the ones mentioned the rest are junkers, outdone in the roles they were purpose-built for. Flown for fun's sake alone, which only goes so far when you have to bring your own fun.
The game needs work so the ships fit, not vice-versa.

The point is that progression basically goes: Sidewinder, whatever, Cobra, Asp, Python/FDL, whatever. With the Python being the optimum trajectory for almost any task. Beyond the ones mentioned the rest are junkers, outdone in the roles they were purpose-built for. Flown for fun's sake alone, which only goes so far when you have to bring your own fun.
The game needs work so the ships fit, not vice-versa.
As much as I would like to see more ships in the game, I have to admit that there is a bit of a problem with existing ships either being outclassed in their intended role or just not having a role at all. However, I wouldn't say that the problem is as big as you imply it is. To name a few:
  • The Vipers are good combat ships for their price range, arguably being better than the Cobra III
  • DBX (and arguably Dolphin) is an excellent exploration ship, easily on par with the AspX
  • Vulture is an excellent combat ship, hands-down the best for its price range
  • Chieftain (and to a lesser extent Challenger and Crusader) is an excellent combat ship
  • FAS (and to a lesser extent FDS and FGS) is an excellent combat ship
  • Krait Phantom is an excellent exploration ship, often considered to be an upgrade over the AspX
  • Krait II is just an exceptionally good ship, even if it doesn't excel at any one role

There are of course some ships that ARE outclassed by other ships (glances at AspS) and need something that can give them a reason to be used over other ships in the price range, but they seem to be the minority of ships rather than the majority.

I want them to add the saker mk3 to elite dangerous because it looks like one of those stupid decorative knives you see in the glass display at strip mall stores that sell vinyl albums and "tobacco" pipes

seriously it looks like something a klingon would stab you with, add it immediately

saker.gif

I want them to add the saker mk3 to elite dangerous because it looks like one of those stupid decorative knives you see in the glass display at strip mall stores that sell vinyl albums and "tobacco" pipes

seriously it looks like something a klingon would stab you with, add it immediately

saker.gif
Honestly, many of the ships added in FFE are like that. I'm convinced that the artists were told that they could increase the polygon count of the models, and decided to make a whole bunch of new designs without any concern of whether or not such a design would even be practical, let alone structurally sound.

The designs of the Griffin, Gyr, Harris, Merlin, Saker Mk III, Tiercel, and Wyvern are so ridiculous that the ships appear to be more decorative than functional, while the Harrier, Imperial Explorer, Lanner, Lanner Mk II, Mantis, Osprey X, Skeet, Spar and Viper Mk II look like they could have appeared as some of the more stylistic designs in FE2. The former designs look absurd, the latter designs look functional (if a bit odd in a few cases).

Honestly, many of the ships added in FFE are like that. I'm convinced that the artists were told that they could increase the polygon count of the models, and decided to make a whole bunch of new designs without any concern of whether or not such a design would even be practical, let alone structurally sound.

The designs of the Griffin, Gyr, Harris, Merlin, Saker Mk III, Tiercel, and Wyvern are so ridiculous that the ships appear to be more decorative than functional, while the Harrier, Imperial Explorer, Lanner, Lanner Mk II, Mantis, Osprey X, Skeet, Spar and Viper Mk II look like they could have appeared as some of the more stylistic designs in FE2. The former designs look absurd, the latter designs look functional (if a bit odd in a few cases).
Hey, I like the Merlin. Nothing wrong with a little three-way rotational symmetry. Certainly doesn't look out of place next to the guardian fighters.

Osprey X is a good one though.

saker.gif
oh, man. this took me back to my childhood in southern Missouri. display knives everywhere and then the rare but crowning jewel, the Samurai sword, sometimes full sized, often miniature.

nothing says redneck warrior culture like a cloud of blueish smoke, a scratchy Lynyrd Skynyrd album and movie prop knives.

oh, man. this took me back to my childhood in southern Missouri. display knives everywhere and then the rare but crowning jewel, the Samurai sword, sometimes full sized, often miniature.

nothing says redneck warrior culture like a cloud of blueish smoke, a scratchy Lynyrd Skynyrd album and movie prop knives.
somewhere in the middle of the display is a resin dragon coiled around an orb

Terra6790

Banned
lol in a game where half the feathures are incomplete and half the critical bugs are unfixed adding more ships is soooo much a good idea LMFAO (especially when they alll look alike)

I am always in favour of new ships, but I find the jet-fighter look a bit tired. We should be able to go a bit more "out there" with ship aesthetics, less restricted by gravity, as with the starports. The different conditions in space allow for a different set of structural regulations with (hopefully) more leniency in building and design. I understand that there is gravity in space and that ships that are meant to land on planets will need to take notice of it, but I just think that starships should be more than just airplanes with boosters and life support.

I'd be happy with a Borg cube Type 7 of 9

Top Bottom