New SRV Scorpion REVEALED on today's livestream.

Brutal this srv, when fdev wants, they get incredible things, and the most important thing is finally and rudely confirmed the panther clipper

That's literally the absence of balance. Dobt confuse balance with "rEaLiSm!!!!".
if you disregard context of where you partake in the various things involved. throwing on foot gameplay where you can directly interact with space ships and "balancing them" is ridiculous. Correctly balancing them would be to make such interactions non-essential to the intended gameplay you are involved in while on foot / in srv's. and to make that intended gameplay exclude the possibility of ships directly being involved. So you dont have to face the impossible situation of balancing a hand weapon with a ship that carries a huge plasma cannon or megawatts of shields and so forth.

Or to make the ships you do interact with much smaller in scenarios where you are in srv's or on foot so there is not such a huge difference in scale of power to balance between. I'd consider proper balancing such that you design the situation to not have to require setting things up so Tiny Tim can go 10 rounds with Rocky if he wants. Rocky should kill that kid with a half hearted single punch if he ever had the opportunity.

edit:
or ..instead of entirely exclude, make the larger ships actually maneuver like they should for their size. Then the tiny srv's and on foot people would be able to out-maneuver ships easily ...and then you'd only have to worry about splash damage. Though, without atmospheres, concussive damage probably isn't as big of a deal as the game makes it out to be since there is no atmosphere to provide the added force behind explosive pressure nor any displacement shockwave of the air.

Last edited:
if you disregard context of where you partake in the various things involved. throwing on foot gameplay where you can directly interact with space ships and "balancing them" is ridiculous. Correctly balancing them would be to make such interactions non-essential to the intended gameplay you are involved in while on foot / in srv's. and to make that intended gameplay exclude the possibility of ships directly being involved. So you dont have to face the impossible situation of balancing a hand weapon with a ship that carries a huge plasma cannon or megawatts of shields and so forth.

Or to make the ships you do interact with much smaller in scenarios where you are in srv's or on foot so there is not such a huge difference in scale of power to balance between. I'd consider proper balancing such that you design the situation to not have to require setting things up so Tiny Tim can go 10 rounds with Rocky if he wants. Rocky should kill that kid with a half hearted single punch if he ever had the opportunity.

Or just remove engineers and return the halcyon days of cookie-cutter ships.

It's not something you can just add in over a wkend like a shade colour change is it?
So longer than a weekend, gotcha ;)

I was thinking more in terms of years than days, and about how Odyssey was described as feature complete on launch, so maybe this is horizons content that was perhaps put on the back burner for one reason or another - the lack of interest in multi-crew for example?

So longer than a weekend, gotcha ;)

I was thinking more in terms of years than days, and about how Odyssey was described as feature complete on launch, so maybe this is horizons content that was perhaps put on the back burner for one reason or another - the lack of interest in multi-crew for example?
I think it's been in mind for a long time because we have always had to choose the scarab in the srv bay which is an odd choice when the choice is of one.. i think they always planned to extend that feature to more than one.

Or just remove engineers and return the halcyon days of cookie-cutter ships.

dont think that would really resolve the issue of balancing against tinier ships / surface vehicles / feet.

But I'd get rid of engineers as they currently exist and utilize the engineer backend for what it does to modules and such and apply that to pre-configured ship variants ...balanced in a way that is controlled by rules determined by fdev to control power creep and keep roles and niches as desired. Plus you could use those things to create faction identity that creates another purpose for players to interact with various factions and to pay attention to the BGS and become invested in it by marrying those variants to certain factions and only those factions.

I hope too that the driver will be able to use the turret as we can do in the Scarab. But who knows what ideas FD had this time.

As for cargo space, there are also situations where something needs to be extracted from a combat zone or transported through one, so some cargo space is always usefull.
Preety sure that devs knows about that and that why im certain that solo player will be able to use it its turret same way as SRV.

Ever since horizon droped, preety much only scenario I know is when there is some combat and cargo to collect is when exploring guardian ruins or thargoid bases. On human bases with +,++,+++ only things to do was either scaning data points or kill a generator/skimmers. Again normal SRV can do that without any problems. Unless there is more scenarios, I would love to hear about it, consider me curious, where you need a cargo rack on ground vechicle with combat at same time.

But with odyssey, SRV cant really handle too well in CZ, especially on high ones. You may be able to snipe npc's from afar, but once it starts takin dmg once gets too close, it dies rather quickly. And if there is PVP on ground CZ, again, SRV will be very quickly taken care of, as L-6 are very popular and will be even more popular if scorpion will become a threat to watch for in CZ.

Scorpion is supposed to change that. It need be atleast 3,5x times more durable than premium boosted SRV, for it to be viable to use in ground CZ or be more efficent on takin +++ bases, wich some can have lots of defences.

Last edited:
dont think that would really resolve the issue of balancing against tinier ships / surface vehicles / feet.

But I'd get rid of engineers as they currently exist and utilize the engineer backend for what it does to modules and such and apply that to pre-configured ship variants ...balanced in a way that is controlled by rules determined by fdev to control power creep and keep roles and niches as desired. Plus you could use those things to create faction identity that creates another purpose for players to interact with various factions and to pay attention to the BGS and become invested in it by marrying those variants to certain factions and only those factions.
BF fixed that decades ago, balancing vehicles/planes/soldiers is both fine and fun. No idea why this is still up for debate in 2021.

looks great, very smexy.

Mostly I would get one as an asthetic upgrade to the scarab, not really that interested in the FPS side of EDO at all, and kinda doubt this is going to change that, but not ruling it out completely yet either.
I am curious about is a few things.

cargo? I dont really care. never really pick anything up in the scarab as it is, but it fits in the same hangar, so it would make sense that cargo has been replaced with the turret seat.

cargo scoop? does it have one? is it completely military dedicated or can we scoop raw materials still?

handling? with the former changes to SRV handling being rolled back to EDH after much complaint about it feeling a bit toooo glued to the surface, will this feel the same as the scarab or have that insane traction feel? It certainly looks like it might have 'better' handling/traction. I didnt notice anything in the vid but does it have 4-wheel steering, better traction, so no more spin outs?

thrusters? will it be able to 'fly' as far and long as the scarab? Or will it be 'heavier' and not as nimble or able to stay off the ground?

speed? same or slower / faster top speed than scarab?

looking forward to trying it out, it does look very good.

Top Bottom