New Thargoid variant

Anyone ever thought maybe Thargoids want our tech so they can "return the favour" and damage our hyperdrives like we did theirs?

No. But looking at all those strange entities found in LaGrange clouds, it almost looks like a Thargoid Construction kit to me. My theory is that the Thargoids kind of assimilate anything they find on their journey through space and evolve on that basis. Like the Borg. Integrating human tech in some way might just be another iteration.

O7,
🙃

It's not a copy and paste because that would mean it would behave the same, you could say that inherits from the Basilisk instead. However, this ship is faster and certainly looks different. You do get the feeling that they we weren't supposed to either sample or destroy it.

Yesterday, Paige did that cheeky, annoying thing they do on the livestream where they read a question they can't/won't answer and act like they've never heard about it.

But she did say "Orthrus" on the livestream...which to me says that, if it was a bug, I don't feel like they would have mentioned it.

So lets go with the name aspect.
Orthrus is the brother of the dog that guards the way to hell. What can this mean?

Well first you have to establish a presidence that the names of the previous variants are in some way meaningful / symbolic or else the name doesn't mean anything and they are just randomly named after mythological monsters.

Last edited:
I am currently on a break but still visit the forum regulary to keep me updated and to read the stories, which are sometimes more interesting than watching a movie.

Elite: Dangerous is really an uniqe game.

I headed out to Maia today to visit Palin's old base, forgot my DSS so had to do old school coordinates and eventually the base appeared in contacts. As I approached, no interceptor appeared, I requested docking, landed, no services so launched again. Re-logged and this time a number of thargoid wakes appeared but no interceptor. Re-logged again and this time there were two scouts in the contacts, 1 marauder and 1 regenerator, they seemed to be on the landing pads, but as I got closer, they were hollow i.e. they looked like they were inside the base (like when you scan a ship that is inside a station). I got closer and closer thinking they might be outside the base, but got too close, got a loitering fine, then got a bounty, somehow got stuck and could not get away, then station defenses blew me up and I ended up in a penitentiary station! All very strange.

Palin's going to hell for crimes against the Thargoids.

Wait, wait... So, Palin scapes and gets reinstalled, but still we get another Engineer, Chole Sedesi, who, so far, does exactly the same as Palin in Engineering tasks... It is like if Sedesi is a safeguard... a redundance... just if someone will die suddenly and we need someone to fix our thrusters if one of them both die...

So lets go with the name aspect.
Orthrus is the brother of the dog that guards the way to hell. What can this mean?
My first thought was that maybe the two headed nature attached to the name might hint at a REPSLI/thargoid hybrid ship, but then I realized that all the other Thargoid names had no significance.

I'm leaning heavily towards "Oi, pal! Need a lista' baddies frum Greek miffology fer namesa' Thargoids, m8."

My first thought was that maybe the two headed nature attached to the name might hint at a REPSLI/thargoid hybrid ship, but then I realized that all the other Thargoid names had no significance.

I'm leaning heavily towards "Oi, pal! Need a lista' baddies frum Greek miffology fer namesa' Thargoids, m8."

I've thought about this and really the only thing I can think of is the medusa has those spikes on it and the mythological monster had snakes coming out of it and the cyclops has an "eye" in the center aka cockpit which might make sense only if you hadn't seen any of the others. That's pretty much it though and that's really really stretching it

Top Bottom