New to VR. Any advice on which headset is the best currently?

Hello

I am new to VR and have been looking around for my first headset.

I have heard that the Valve Index is going to be better then the Oculus S, which I am considering.

I wanted a PiMax BE, but folks say customer service and support is lacking or non-existent and the first headsets ordered by backers are just arriving.

I would at least want a company providing warranty, customer service, fixes and updates, regardless of the headset I choose.

Opinions?

The above link is really good. As always it might be worth waiting to see what the next releases are. In this case rift s and valve index.

Don't underestimate the hardware requirements to run VR in elite - it's pretty brutal (compared to other VR games I've played)

The above link is really good. As always it might be worth waiting to see what the next releases are. In this case rift s and valve index.

Don't underestimate the hardware requirements to run VR in elite - it's pretty brutal (compared to other VR games I've played)
I currently have an AMD 9350 8 core, 4Ghz Processor, with 32GB of Ram running on a MSI 990FXA motherboard with a GTX 1070Ti w/8gb, which should be capable of running most VR headsets.

I was thinking of adding another GTX 1070Ti and ganging them together, but I have read that this may cause problems.

I currently have an AMD 9350 8 core, 4Ghz Processor, with 32GB of Ram running on a MSI 990FXA motherboard with a GTX 1070Ti w/8gb, which should be capable of running most VR headsets.

I was thinking of adding another GTX 1070Ti and ganging them together, but I have read that this may cause problems.
ED doesn't support SLI or Crossfire unfortunately.

I have Vive(original), Rift, and Samsung Odyssey plus.
The Samsung is without doubt the best headset visually.
The fit is pretty horrible though(huge gaps between headset and face), and it needs a very well lit room for positional tracking.. So yeah, if you are sensitive to light bleed then stay away.

I would wait for the Valve Index if I was you.

I have Vive(original), Rift, and Samsung Odyssey plus.
The Samsung is without doubt the best headset visually.
The fit is pretty horrible though(huge gaps between headset and face), and it needs a very well lit room for positional tracking.. So yeah, if you are sensitive to light bleed then stay away.

I would wait for the Valve Index if I was you.
Hey shreddog, I had the same problem with the Odyssey+, the fit and light bleed was horrible for my head shape (others experience may vary)
However I removed the built in padding, both the velcro attached round the face and the forehead padding which can be popped off with a flat headed screwdriver.
With some bought 3rd party padding and a bit of tinkering (including adding a strap across the top of the head) I've got a setup which is comfortable and has no light bleed.

Highly recommend giving it a try. I went from wanting to sell the headset on to not wanting to use anything else I had.

I would hold off buying a new VR system until HP Reverb gets its first reviews.
Its out any day now and from its design it looks to be the best there is so far as consumers go. Will require nothing less than a 1080 GPU to run it though.

Last edited:
Right now VR is still a work in progress for any headset.
The basic Rift is getting cheaper, but the resolution is still only 1080. On a VR set that is very low as you have it on a screen that looks the size of a wall. The view is still amazing, but now a bit higher level of detail would be nice.
As noted elsewhere, pc to run it has to be quite good.
If you want higher res, then wait and see what wins.
😁

I think i will go for Vive Cosmos as my first VR set.

Inside-out tracking is the selling point for me. Was holding back of buying VR because of it until now.
And the name Cosmos. :love:

I hope the price is not too big.

I got an Odyssey plus recently and it's bloody amazing. You will need to mod it to make it comfortable though. Vr cover face pad , and studioform creative go long way to making it very comfortable. A bit step and a free one is the velcro mod though (lol) it's on Reddit but basically involves you slightly bending the hmd down and holding it in place with Velcro so you get right in the sweetspot and get the best visuals

I would never recommend a Pimax as a starter HMD..., Personally, I would wait a while and see what the new devices are like... I went from an Oculus to the Vive Pro with lens mod and I am VERY happy with my VR experience. I also have a Pimax 5k+ but simply have the wrong shape head and it is horrible to wear. The FOV is great, but distortion, lack of blacks and eye strain are killers currently... The Pimax software is getting better, but no where near a first time HMD users experience just yet....

Valve index is looking very promising... Hopefully it falls right in between the Pimax ( FOV ) and the Vive Pro....

At this point Samsung Odyssey is best if you only play ED. Or VivePRO with gearvr lenses, if money is not problem
Samsung Odyssey plus is amazing
After extensive review and considering the Oculus Go, Oculus Rift S and the Valve Index, I decided to purchase the Samsung Odyssey Plus.

Got it for $299.00 because I know someone who works there.

Some advice for Samsung Odyssey Plus users.

I just wanted it for ED, since it's my first HMD.

Last edited:
Hey shreddog, I had the same problem with the Odyssey+, the fit and light bleed was horrible for my head shape (others experience may vary)
However I removed the built in padding, both the velcro attached round the face and the forehead padding which can be popped off with a flat headed screwdriver.
With some bought 3rd party padding and a bit of tinkering (including adding a strap across the top of the head) I've got a setup which is comfortable and has no light bleed.

Highly recommend giving it a try. I went from wanting to sell the headset on to not wanting to use anything else I had.
Could you expand on what you did and where you got the third party padding?

Congrats on the Odyssey+, and really good advice about the SS. It's something I knew but didn't think to include in my setup thread, I'll update when I get a chance.

Could you expand on what you did and where you got the third party padding?
Sure.
After removing all of the included front padding on the Odyssey+ I used 3 out of a 4 pack of replacement Rift padding as there wasn't Odyssey shaped padding at the time. 1 piece cut with angles to allow it velcro on, 1 piece shredded to fill light bleed, and 1 piece whole in contact with my face, all attached with tape but jot with tape against the face. Doesn't look good but works well.

The strap is a spare velcro thing I had lying around, wrapped between the front piece and headphone struts and tightened to sit on my head so the band doesn't need to pinch too tightly front to back.

There are lots of pictures of Odyssey and + modding on reddit, worth a Google.

If it'll help I can post reddit links and pictures of my own next week when I'm back at my pc.

Top Bottom