Newcomer / Intro Newbie has a couple of questions

I just recently started playing ED on PC and was wondering
1. How do I get to eddb while I'm playing.
2. Is the Data Link scanner passive?
Any help is appreciated

1. You can tab out with the Windows key to access the Web and all third-party tools.
2. The DLS is a built-in module in your ship. To use it, assign it to a fire group, get into range of your scanning target, and press the assigned mouse button.

Hope this helps. Cheers.

The Data Link scanner is active you need to hold down a trigger while the scan completes and you need to have targeted the data point you are scanning.

1. You can tab out with the Windows key to access the Web and all third-party tools.
2. The DLS is a built-in module in your ship. To use it, assign it to a fire group, get into range of your scanning target, and press the assigned mouse button.

Hope this helps. Cheers.
I have the data scanner set on fire group 2 but when I pull the trigger nothing happens. I'm at a loss.

Last edited:
Switch to the correct mode: Analysis Mode. Get into range of your scanning target. Hold Mouse Button 2 until the scan is complete.

The Data link scanner is very short ranged, only about 200 metres maximum so you have to be very close.

If you are launching from Steam press F11(default) and open the steam web browser.

Welcome to Elite CMDR o7

Data Link Scanner.
SRV:
  • first toggle into the Turret UI view, aim the turret at the data point/target and hit the key to which you bound the scanner to initiate the scan.
  • when right next to or very near to your ship, you're unable to enter the turret-UI view at all. Simply drive a bit further away and you'll hear it deploy on its own, at which point the turret-UI view is enabled.
  • The Data Link Scanner is used to interact with surface data points, such as those used in all Surface Scan missions, as well as interacting with crash-site data points.
SHIP:
  • Once deployed, ship Data Link Scanners can be used like other utility scanners to interact with select targets. It can download logs from certain Installations and Megaships, including Generation ships, as well as scan Megaships to highlight points of interest such as Data Points, Automated Defence Turrets, Cargo Bays, Hackable Data Transmitters, and Comms Arrays.
  • You need to select the object to be scanned first,

I've found that ED is very tolerant of me leaving to the Windows desktop at any time so I simply touch the windows key on my keyboard. I almost always have at least two browser tabs going at all times (Inara and EDDB), a spreadsheet (my travel/transaction log), and a couple of other programs running without issue.

Happy travels...

Top Bottom