Distant Worlds II Event [DW2] Newsletters

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Hey I just want it to be known that I am not the author of that limpet poem, somebody else is. I am the author of the SecretDragon journal/log though.

Amazing newsletter!

Great job on that one Secret, I laughed out loud at work loud enough to make everyone look at me when I read the "throttle malfunction" bit. :D

So I grabbed myself a copy of New Scientist from the newsagents yesterday.

It seemed truly extraordinary to be flicking through that august publication and come across an article about Distant Worlds 2.

nsc_20190126-304x400.jpg

Incidentally - been a while since I bought New Scientist. Seemed incredibly expensive (£4.50) for it's thickness (approx. 2mm!) but I have to say the quality of the writing is excellent and every single thing I've read so far has been fascinating (unlike, for example, something like PC Gamer which inevitably leaves me wanting).

Basically, if you're tempted I'd say go for it. It's not every day you get to see Elite in a magazine like this!

If I had one complaint, and it is quite a big one, I think it's SUCH a shame that one of the two images featured is concept art. Great writing, lazy image researcher. Oh well.

Last edited:
So I grabbed myself a copy of New Scientist from the newsagents yesterday.

It seemed truly extraordinary to be flicking through that august publication and come across an article about Distant Worlds 2.

Incidentally - been a while since I bought New Scientist. Seemed incredibly expensive (£4.50) for it's thickness (approx. 2mm!) but I have to say the quality of the writing is excellent and every single thing I've read so far has been fascinating (unlike, for example, something like PC Gamer which inevitably leaves me wanting).

Basically, if you're tempted I'd say go for it. It's not every day you get to see Elite in a magazine like this!

If I had one complaint, and it is quite a big one, I think it's SUCH a shame that one of the two images featured is concept art. Great writing, lazy image researcher. Oh well.

I just unsubscribed from PC Gamer. I just can't stand reading their constant mockery of games they don't like for arbitrary reasons. I think they have a big hand in fuelling the current climate of gamers who think it's completely ok to be disgustingly rude to game developers over the slightest issues. They are "the worlds number one gaming magazine" afterall and have set the tone of the conversation for 30 years. They aren't getting my money any more.

New Scientist still gets my money, from time to time, when they aren't too political, or when they have something really interesting sounding on the cover (a recent one about different planet types was awesome).

That all being said, was a great article and opportunity. They claim they have nearly a million readers. That's an outstanding achievement!

Newsletter Issue 0 is out! 20 pages of delicious goodness:

Distant Worlds 2 Newsletter Issue 0 Download

Subbed to the thread...

And for some reason page 17 of this issue, that is liked to in the OP (but not this quoted post), isn't showing up with the background, making it very difficult to read, at least on my browser.

Cheers.

Edit:

OK, now the one linked in the OP is working for me but not the one linked above. [hehe] Oh well. Probably just something goofy with the way it loads on my browser, I guess.

Cheers. :)

Last edited:
CMDR Odinoco
http://bit.ly/DW2PC1

DW2PC1

CMDR TwoFingers
Title: Shade
Editor's comment: There are many things to enjoy about this particular photo. What stands out the most to me, however, is the attention and thought put into creating this shot. It is a new take on a the traditional eclipse photo, and its sense of immense scale is humbling. A truly fantastic shot indeed!
http://bit.ly/DW2PC2

DW2PC2

CMDR Yuksarr
Title: Wolf's light
Editor's comment: Portrait images are submissions that are not seen very often, and can be very underestimated. This image has a beautiful composition, with colours that are subtle yet striking. This image will make a great screensaver for your smartphone! Well done!
http://bit.ly/DW2PC3

DW2PC3

CMDR_Zephrow
Title: Harnessing the power of a star
Editor's comment: This image is all about the framing. I appreciate the time taken to ensure the placement of the star within the points of the Guardian fighter. This Cmdr also made the most of the negative space on the left side, and the thruster trails help lead the eye towards the star. Good job!
http://bit.ly/DW2PC4

DW2PC4

Newsletter #4 is out!

I recommend you download it and read it rather than read off google drive, which is slow, choppy and internal links don't work :/

Happy Valentine's Day, as a gift, the geology department just confirmed they have discovered Tidal Heating in game! Read more in the newsletter.

Got this view from WP6 basecamp today, sunrise at WP6, black hole passing in front of the WD with the gas giant in the foreground. Maybe a submission for the newsletter?

s8X6tSo.jpg

Just noticed these guys, too late, sorry! Amazing screenshots though, I still can't believe how close these objects are to an NS.

Also, this week's newsletter contains the full official role play story for DW2!

Hi. Got my butt well and truly saved tonight by the Fuel Rats. I promised them out of respect to their endeavours to submit my story to the newsletter. Ive also posted this on the Mobius exploration Fb page.
Please consider adding this to the next newsletter. It's a cautionary tale for all explorers regardless of experience and also shows how dedicated the Fuel Rats are in their duty to us.

Copied text:

+++ Cmdr Richard Voorheez signing on +++

I was tired.
Dead tired.

I had been jumping tired from a high plain position directly above SagA*. A high plane position 4kly above the galactic meridian. My destination was the new station 'Explorers Anchorage' a station myself and fellow Distant Worlds 2 Cmdr's had helped make a reality.

I am an experienced explorer, hell I'm triple Elite Cmdr so we don't ever make mistakes, right?
Wrong. Dead wrong.

First mistake: Scoop at every star. I had not been scooping at every star, my nav computer had been faithfully plotting a route to the new station 'Explorers Anchorage' for me and I had not been factoring in the damage neutron star boosting had done to my FSD: it was critically damaged and had entered the unsafe zone below the 90% integrity mark.

Second mistake, and the most deadly one: Keep an eye on FSD integrity. My FSD was damaged and as a result had dumped me unceremoniously into a non scoopable star system, a T Tauri star system to be exact. I had enough fumes and fuel to get me to a scoopable system 3ly away. This was the last coherent thought my semi alert brain registered before I fell asleep, at full speed, in the warm soothing hypnotic embrace of Supercruise.

Third mistake: Don't ever fly tired. I fell asleep and awoke 300Kls away from the main star. I checked if I could jump...No way, no stars in range, so I adopted emergency protocols:

-Drop out of supercruise: already done
-Turn off all systems and modules except Life support: check
-Call the Fuel Rats on an emergency channel: check.

Then I heard that awful sound..the sound no explorer wants to hear when exploring...
Power failure
All Modules off
Emergency life support engaged...

7 minutes 30 seconds until hypoxic death.
7 minutes 29
7 minutes 28

Crap.

In a not so calm voice I called the Fuel Rats and awaited their response. I synthesized O2 to keep me from death, it's the only thing I could do and it worked: 20 minutes later I heard the calm, cool, salvation heralding voice of Cmdr Alex1973 asking for a wing invitation and prompting me to activate my wing beacon.

Fuel limpets brought life to my cold dark Anaconda.
Fuel limpets allowed my Remloc to disengage from emergency protocols.
Fuel limpets allowed me to breathe the familiar air of my home away from home.
Fuel Rats allowed me to jump to safety.

Thank God. Thank the Fuel Rats.

The Fuel Rats saved my tired complacent butt tonight. Lesson learned: watch your FSD integrity, scoop at every star and don't ever never fly tired.
Thanks Cmdr Alex1973 and thanks Fuel Rats. You are genuine salvations.

+++ Cmdr Richard Voorheez signing off +++

Last edited:
Got this view from WP6 basecamp today, sunrise at WP6, black hole passing in front of the WD with the gas giant in the foreground. Maybe a submission for the newsletter?

great!
would be on the newsletter if there wasnt such an ugly Conda on the foreground ;)

serious, nice pics, @Voorheez

and awesome work @Kaii and @whoeverisinvolvedinthisoutstandingnewsletters

thx! :)

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom