Next animal swimming updates

I’m hoping that — now that the obvious animals have swimming animations — the team can make big cats jumping into the water look realistic and give hippos their iconic behavior of sticking the tops of their heads (only) out of the water.

thanks for the bears, btw. A lot of fun and as good as we had any right to expect.

I really wouldn’t mind seeing some animals get a reduction in swimming. Zebra,wildebeest,bison,and lions just to name a few seldom swim. Like I said you could definitely make the argument for more but with so many I just stuck to a few. Certain animals really prefer not to swim without a purpose involved. It’s not super important or necessary but certain animals do swim too much tbh.

I really wouldn’t mind seeing some animals get a reduction in swimming. Zebra,wildebeest,bison,and lions just to name a few seldom swim. Like I said you could definitely make the argument for more but with so many I just stuck to a few. Certain animals really prefer not to swim without a purpose involved. It’s not super important or necessary but certain animals do swim too much tbh.
It seems like African animals would have a bias towards avoiding the water lest they become croc food. It drives me nuts when African wild dogs and hyenas jump in because smaller predators which rely and mobility and pack mentality to survive wouldn’t seem likely give that up. On the other hand the Bengal Tiger and (especially) the Jaguar are outstanding water hunters, so they should be more willing to jump in and frolic in the water, IMO.

Hell, Jaguars hunt black caiman.
Actually those caimans in the videos are a different species, the yacare caiman (Caiman yacare), roughly 1/10th the size of adult black caimans. They are not as small as Cuvier's dwarf caimans, the species in the game, but still much smaller than the black caiman, which are roughly the size of Nile crocodiles. Jaguars don't hunt adult black caiman, they will only go after juveniles, and rarely subadults that are in the same size class as yacares. Adults are top predators. In fact jaguars avoid water bodies occupied by adult black caimans. During my time participating in a survey in Rio Negro, we had observed this behaviour first hand.

and give hippos their iconic behavior of sticking the tops of their heads (only) out of the water.
I would also like porpoising for hippos. Until the introduction of deep swimming, the existing underwater navigation for hippos was more than acceptable, but now that we have deep swimming, the existing system for hippos has become too two dimensional compared to animals using the newer underwater navigation system. I believe hippos can be tweaked slightly to use an intermediate system where they utilize porpoising and the idle position you recommended in areas where the depth of water allows for such animations. This way their movement in water will look relatively more three dimensional compared to the current limited system they have.

I would also like porpoising for hippos. Until the introduction of deep swimming, the existing underwater navigation for hippos was more than acceptable, but now that we have deep swimming, the existing system for hippos has become too two dimensional compared to animals using the newer underwater navigation system. I believe hippos can be tweaked slightly to use an intermediate system where they utilize porpoising and the idle position you recommended in areas where the depth of water allows for such animations. This way their movement in water will look relatively more three dimensional compared to the current limited system they have.
Underwater navigation for hippos is definitely too linear. I hope it gets addressed at some point.

Other animals that should definitely be added to the deep swimming mechanic are:
  1. Both tapirs
  2. Both tigers
  3. Jaguar
  4. Nile monitor
There are other animals that I would like to see use the deep swimming system, but for me this is the bare minimum. However, we can probably expect many more animals to be added to deep swimming after seeing 4 bears, 2 of which were unexpected, received deep swimming.

Underwater navigation for hippos is definitely too linear. I hope it gets addressed at some point.

Other animals that should definitely be added to the deep swimming mechanic are:
  1. Both tapirs
  2. Both tigers
  3. Jaguar
  4. Nile monitor
There are other animals that I would like to see use the deep swimming system, but for me this is the bare minimum. However, we can probably expect many more animals to be added to deep swimming after seeing 4 bears, 2 of which were unexpected, received deep swimming.
I think the animals you listed are all that is needed. Maybe throw in the Komodo.

Top Bottom