Next generation of ships

I know we're pretty much at the "end of the list", minus a couple of ships that never made it into ED, but I had a few ideas come to mind and I'm wondering if anyone else would care to see some neat things like these come into existence. Specifically for this thread, Player Owned "Cruisers".

Now, a cruiser is significantly larger than a corvette, but let's say this. You take the concept of the FCs, and shrink it down to cruiser size, and add a docking bay capable of carrying 1 Large, 2 Medium and 3 Small ships. It would require a cruiser drydock system to be setup all across the galaxy, but you could generally take your favourite ships with you everywhere you went. Or a few of your friends can come along and sit in the bay during travel to a group activity. They'd be unable to walk around the cruiser, because internal ship design doesn't exist... yet... I'd like to think it'll get implemented one day, but I'll not hold my breath for now.

As for the internals and hardpoints. The Hardpoints should be pretty numerous. Mostly smalls and mediums, with a few larges... all of which can only be turrets. Like a mobile "bunker" I guess? Let's go with 6 smalls, 4 mediums, 2 larges, for a start. Now, utilities. Let's go with 10 slots. Can mount plenty of defensive options there. Onward to Core. Cruiser equipment should be unique at this point. Class 10 and Class 9 equipment, with a mix of Class 8. Let's go with this:

1C Armor (starts with Lightweight Alloy, as is standard)
10E Power Plant
9E Thrusters
10E Frameshift Drive
8E Life Support
9E Power Distributor
8E Sensors
8C Fuel Tank (Cap: 256)

Seems alright to me. Now, these things are going to be weighty. Even with maximum upgrades (which will be priiiiiiiiiiiiiiiicey). Onward to the Optional Internals! 9 slots. NO FIGHTER BAY, considering you'll be launching your own ships from it, they can launch their fighters instead (if they have bays installed).

Class 10 (Unique Slot - Class 10E Shield Generator stock) literally the only thing available to this slot unless FDev decide to start making Size 9-10 Optionals one day
Class 8 (Class 8E Cargo Rack [Cap: 256] stock)
Class 7
Class 7
Class 5
Class 4
Class 4
Class 3
Class 1 (Supercruise Assist stock)

Now, it will already be a heavily armoured monster. The shield can be boosted to make it even tankier, but this thing is definitely not designed for combat. This is more of a transport cruiser than anything else. Easily obtainable and requires no maintenance fees, can only transport a very small amount of things, has no services on board but can be used to refuel ships using fuel limpets or repair them with repair limpets, but otherwise has no additional internal features like an FC has. Jump range would not be able to exceed something like 52LY after full engineering and the addition of an FSD Booster. It isn't really meant to explore, more to carry your little fleet. Additionally, something like this could be used to have a player-owned fleet operating on its own (provided FDev cares to lift the pointless restriction and allow us to have all 3 AI Crew Slots active at once). I get it... Balance.... yadda yadda... Balance flew out the window yesteryear. Just let us have some actual fun for goodness sakes. I would love to have a wing of non-SLF ships following my corvette around.

Of course, if for some reason the ships are destroyed, or the cruiser is destroyed with all of the internal docks full, you'd have to buy back at a station (unless you die, in which case a full rebuy would appear for everything that was lost). Obviously, this would be pretty expensive, but at least it won't be Fleet Carrier levels of management. Unless 10 full wings armed with max-sized torpedo launchers across the board come to kill your cruiser, it isn't dying anytime soon. It will have a crazy amount of hull. Fully Engineered, you could see numbers like "12k to 15k" hull. It's not meant to go down pathetically. It will take a monumental amount of effort to kill one. On the flip side, they could add NPC cruisers in, with wanteds showing up once in a while. Consider them like pirate mobile hubs with a full wing of baddies coming out of the ship. So you'd see this "hulk" in the background, and 4 ships coming after you. Take them out, and then attempt to take out the cruiser while its turrets are busy going nuts in your direction.

Just a thought. I know I'm going to get a lot of "Just get an FC" messages. No thanks. With the rushes over, farming billions to run it for an extremely long amount of time (5-10yrs) will be painstakingly frustrating. I'll pass. I'd accept something like this as an "in between" that can be obtained by all players who didn't make 20-80 Billion Credits during the great rushes of 2018, 2019 and 2020. I got in on the tail end of 2020's rush. Now that THAT'S over and things are all switched up (without properly fixing deepcore mining... it is PAINFUL to look for 2 hours and find a single rock at a hotspot), getting that kind of money is not as feasible as before.

Anyway, just a fun suggestion that crossed my mind. I doubt it would ever make it into the game.

I disagree that we do not need larger ships, I am tired of being limited to 210m in length, there is a lot of potential between that length and size of the fc, another thing is that fdev wants, in my view, we get stuck because of the size of the pad it seems to me a mistake.

Fully Engineered, you could see numbers like "12k to 15k" hull.
A fully-engineered Cutter can have close to 10k hull and over 10k shields, so this wouldn't be all that much tougher.

Unless 10 full wings armed with max-sized torpedo launchers across the board come to kill your cruiser, it isn't dying anytime soon.
Unfortunately, no, a single combat medium could take it down easily, especially if the player CMDR was elsewhere at the time (and this really applies to any big slow ship that's got "conventional" module design):
- double chaff plus a dispersal field PA to scramble the turrets, not that they'll be doing massive damage to a hit-and-run medium anyway
- reverb cascade mines to flatten the shield generator
- super penetrator rails plus the PA take out the power plant, boom.
- if there's a hardpoint spare, FSD disruptor missiles can stop it getting away ... or mix in ion disruption mines to take out the thrusters.
- again, if there's a hardpoint spare, a thermal vent beam laser will help finish off the powerplant once it gets to 0% integrity

A fully-engineered Cutter can have close to 10k hull and over 10k shields, so this wouldn't be all that much tougher.

Unfortunately, no, a single combat medium could take it down easily, especially if the player CMDR was elsewhere at the time (and this really applies to any big slow ship that's got "conventional" module design):
  • double chaff plus a dispersal field PA to scramble the turrets, not that they'll be doing massive damage to a hit-and-run medium anyway
  • reverb cascade mines to flatten the shield generator
  • super penetrator rails plus the PA take out the power plant, boom.
  • if there's a hardpoint spare, FSD disruptor missiles can stop it getting away ... or mix in ion disruption mines to take out the thrusters.
  • again, if there's a hardpoint spare, a thermal vent beam laser will help finish off the powerplant once it gets to 0% integrity

Hey I'm just thinking of things I think are neat lol. Like I said at the end, I'm not holding my breath :p and honestly, I don't play in Open. I have other things in life to be stressed about than tryhards in FDLs. I play in Private with my friends. We have fun blasting pirates, exploring guardian ruins and putzing around the bubble. We "eventually" want to take on some Thargoids (we just finished unlocking all the guardian BPs), but we're waiting for the rebalance on the xeno-hunting mission payouts.

I like the concept.. this could be a great addition to the game. Currently FCs are just mobile stations and dragging them around is costly and counterintuitive.

Having a ship like this that could be piloted sounds a lot of fun, specially considering if you could carry a wing of friends around for combat missions or medium/long range exploration expeditions using a FC as support station.

They could jump up to 300ly using tritium and up to 150ly using regular fuel.

The thing is, it sounds a lot of dev work and Frontier doesnt seem to be focused on ships at the moment but surface crawling.. unfortunately

I think a ship balance is needed first because all you see in pvp is one ship, the FDL.
There is always a Meta, all a "Balance pass" does is change what ends up being optimal.

What really needs to happen here is that we need to stop having ships that are designed around how the model and animation look and start having ships that are a base volume and hardpoint configuration. You fill the volume with the components you want, and anything you don't use becomes your cargo volume. As a final step, the game does a compatibility check to ensure that you have enough life support, that the thrusters can lift the ship, and that you have enough mass devoted to sensors to create a navigation image. It doesn't tell you it is a GOOD design, it just provides an up or down check on basic viability.

I leave hardpoints separate because they are structurally designed points in the ship created to support the stresses of weapons fire and any given design would only be able to support so many. It also is a nod toward the animators. If you choose to use them for something other than weapons, that is fine with the caveat that it is a one way conversion, but they would still be the only place weapons could be mounted.

Last edited:
Just give me a Chieftan/Challenger/Crusader option with regular slots instead of restricted slots and I'd be happy.

You could have ship too large to fit on a large pad, and just pay for a lumper service to move cargo to-from your XL ship to the station for sale. For a fee of course. There should be a lot of varying ships between the current large ships and FC in size. I would be fine with something that could carry one medium, and 5K tons of cargo, or 1 large and 2 medium with no cargo, and had enough shields/armor/weapons to defend itself while it escaped after being interdicted. A max jump range in the 40-60Ly range fully engineered sounds good. No ability to land on planets. I don't really see it happening though.
I think we will get the Panther Clipper and it will push large pads to their limit, and that will be it.

I'll give this one a "yes" vote. On the condition that it carries a rebuy of at least 1 billion credits, and FDev reintroduce skynet AI.

Top Bottom